Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicken1616

New in Town
I wanted to upload some pics. When I went to "upload file", it said my jpeg file was too big. I am not really that tech savvy, so how do I upload these pics?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I wanted to upload some pics. When I went to "upload file", it said my jpeg file was too big. I am not really that tech savvy, so how do I upload these pics?

Use a program such as the ever-popular photoshop to cut it down to about 500 across.

I use a freeware program called paint.net. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does most of what I want to do when it comes to editing pictures.

Oh, I don't use my phone for any of this discussion board stuff. I'm a laptop-only type of guy.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
What kind of hat are you interested in? fedora or western?

I have had two 100% beaver westerns made by Northwest hats and I'm very pleased with both. The price is a lot better than either of those you mentioned and I bet the hat bodies used for the hats are from the same source. If you know your head shape Mike @ NW can fit it. If you have a really odd shape noggin then you might have to go the full on confirmateur route and then you may have to pay a lot more to get a great fit. I know my head is x long oval with a knot right of center on forehead. My fit was spot on on both.
Michael Gannon at Gannonhatco.com did a fedora and it is spot on for the odd shape I have. I have a second hand Vintage Silhouette fedora that fits very comfortably and is not misshapen as the original buyer had X long oval.
There are several great artisans out there.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
By chance, I discovered that I had some sort of program to help reduce the jpeg file.
If, in your picture library, you have any number of thumbnail photos, go to the one that you want to upload. Right click on it, if you are lucky a drop down menu will appear. In that menu will be the title: 'Edit.' Click on that, a second menu appears, click on resize. the current size will be 100, try deleting that type in 50. Then click on the top right X to delete the page. You should then be asked if you want to save the changes. Click save. Now try to upload the photo here, if it still says the file is too big repeat the process, you will get there. Believe me, I'm no geek, I can crash a computer just by looking at it. So if I can do it I'm sure that you can.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
If you use your phone, try using the Tapatalk app. I've only posted a few photos on here, and when I did it from the web I had the same issue. I was eventually able to post them using the app without having to resize. I will add that when I first tried it didn't work. I got frustrated and gave up, but when I came back to it they uploaded right away.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

psklenar

One of the Regulars

On a Windows machine, as GHT suggests, you can right click on the picture file and select Edit from the context menu. On a Windows PC that'll normally open the "paint" program. Using the program menu, select Resize. You can do a percentage as GHT suggests, or pick an actual pixel size ... I type in 1024 for the longest dimension and the sort one becomes 768 (that size uploads nicely). Then from the menu select "Save As" and save the smaller picture to a new name and upload that smaller image.

I hope this helps,
pat----

rosscoinc1

Familiar Face
I am tired of dropping good money on hats that don't fit or look different than advertised and have decided to take the plunge and have a custom hat made. I have narrowed it down to two choices:
Greeley Hat Works
and
Powder River Hats.
Anyone have experience with either?
Thanks,
Ross.
just to expand a little bit: I live almost dead center between the two, a 2 hour drive there and a 2 hour drive back. Talked with both on the phone and both were very pleasant, helpful and professional (a big plus in earning my hard earned dollar). I decided on PRH for a couple of reasons: Brook, the owner, is meeting me at his shop well after normal business hours in order to get me fitted and with my crazy summer honey-do list I am desperately short on free time. He also seems to be a smaller shop than Greeley Hat Works and I do prefer supporting a small business if and when I can. His prices seemed reasonable as well.
This will be my first fur felt hat and I am getting a low crowned derby. I bought a Stetson derby and while it is a beautiful hat the sizing is wrong, too large, the crown is too high for my taste, 5 1/2 inches and the fit just plain sucks as I have an oval noggin.
Wish me luck and if anyone is interested I will post as the process unfolds.

RJR

just to expand a little bit: I live almost dead center between the two, a 2 hour drive there and a 2 hour drive back. Talked with both on the phone and both were very pleasant, helpful and professional (a big plus in earning my hard earned dollar). I decided on PRH for a couple of reasons: Brook, the owner, is meeting me at his shop well after normal business hours in order to get me fitted and with my crazy summer honey-do list I am desperately short on free time. He also seems to be a smaller shop than Greeley Hat Works and I do prefer supporting a small business if and when I can. His prices seemed reasonable as well.
This will be my first fur felt hat and I am getting a low crowned derby. I bought a Stetson derby and while it is a beautiful hat the sizing is wrong, too large, the crown is too high for my taste, 5 1/2 inches and the fit just plain sucks as I have an oval noggin.
Wish me luck and if anyone is interested I will post as the process unfolds.
Good luck,you'll enjoy the custom process.Take the ill fitting Stetson with you I'll bet PRH can resize it to fit properly.

psklenar

One of the Regulars
Okay ... I've bought my first "vintage" hat and should have it in my hands Monday. Stetson Playboy off The Bay, based on my research I'm guessing it's from the mid 1950s to the early 1960s.

So ... what issues should I look for (I didn't see any red flags in the listings photos)? What are the details that will recommend whether I should send it off for cleaning, reblocking or restoration or what not?

Thank you for any education any of you'd care to share!

pat----

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hey psk:
My very first hat was a Playboy from the bay. When you start with that quality of hat....well hang on!!
To answer your question. Wait till it comes then post pics (lots) of outside, diff angles, inside, behind sweat labels (careful with sweatband), head shots, diff angles and closeups of points of interest.
Just pretend it’s a new baby and document accordingly.
Then wait for all our comments. We like Playboys!! Congrats man. Good go!
Bowen

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Okay ... I've bought my first "vintage" hat and should have it in my hands Monday. Stetson Playboy off The Bay, based on my research I'm guessing it's from the mid 1950s to the early 1960s.

So ... what issues should I look for (I didn't see any red flags in the listings photos)? What are the details that will recommend whether I should send it off for cleaning, reblocking or restoration or what not?

Thank you for any education any of you'd care to share!

pat----

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If it wasn't obviously dirty in the photos, it probably doesn't need a serious deep clean. Usually a good dose of steam and some time with a hat brush and/or hat sponge will spiff them right up.

The usual issue is the sweat band. The leather used during this time period was....not always great. Here's my 50's Playboy compared to a turn of the century Stetson.

Be aware of any issues of cracking and/or splitting. Various recommendations for leather care....I've had good results simply by patiently applying jojoba oil over the course of a few days. Some sweats may be beyond revitalization and need to be replaced, but usually if it were that bad, it would have been noticeable in the auction pics. You'll otherwise want to check that the sweat band is still firmly attached, although hats are generally still wearable if a bit of the stitching has come loose (such is the case with my Playboy).

As far as the felt goes, look for weak spots from the previous crease(s), these typically happen at the pinch. Check for any moth bites. If you want to be extra-extra sure there are no moth larvae, put the hat in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for a few days.

If it wasn't obviously dirty in the photos, it probably doesn't need a serious deep clean. Usually a good dose of steam and some time with a hat brush and/or hat sponge will spiff them right up.

The usual issue is the sweat band. The leather used during this time period was....not always great. Here's my 50's Playboy compared to a turn of the century Stetson.

Be aware of any issues of cracking and/or splitting. Various recommendations for leather care....I've had good results simply by patiently applying jojoba oil over the course of a few days. Some sweats may be beyond revitalization and need to be replaced, but usually if it were that bad, it would have been noticeable in the auction pics. You'll otherwise want to check that the sweat band is still firmly attached, although hats are generally still wearable if a bit of the stitching has come loose (such is the case with my Playboy).

As far as the felt goes, look for weak spots from the previous crease(s), these typically happen at the pinch. Check for any moth bites. If you want to be extra-extra sure there are no moth larvae, put the hat in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for a few days.

Reminded me when I sent a vintage hat to VS for refurbishment; I was told it had to stay in my freezer for 72 hours before I could mail it to them. I’ve been freezing newly acquired vintage hats ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psklenar

One of the Regulars
Okay ... another question. I have a lapel pin that I really like, but I've only work a suit jacket/Blazer four times in the past four years (2 funerals & 2 weddings), so they don't get used. I was wondering, is there a way to turn a lapel pin into a hat ribbon pin? I can't imagine the pin and backer would be all that comfortable. [emoji57]

pat----

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Reminded me when I sent a vintage hat to VS for refurbishment; I was told it had to stay in my freezer for 72 hours before I could mail it to them. I’ve been freezing newly acquired vintage hats ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have always done this. Just makes me feel sooo much better bout sticking a hat on my head. I’ve had some that went straight into the box in the basement cause i couldn’t wash my hands fast enough!! Yuk sometimes. Not lol!!
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot