Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thank you. I'll give it a try, but measuring the inside of a circle with a floppy cloth tape measure strikes me as being ... challenging. :) Hmmm ... I wonder if I could use a metal tape measure ... the desire to straighten out should keep it against the sweat band all the way around, shouldn't it?
You'd think so, but no; not in my experience, anyway. I've found it to be much easier using a cloth/Tailor's tape. Use the rear seam as a starting point and s-l-o-w-l-y work your way around the circumference of the sweat band, constantly holding the cloth tape in place as you go until you're back at the rear seam. Take your time to get the most accurate measurement. Then do it again, just to be sure. Then do it again just to be really sure.

psklenar

One of the Regulars
... Measure the long part of the oval (front-to-back) and the short part (side-to-side). You may find you are a long oval or wide oval ...

Is there a ratio or or something that defines long vs regular oval? I just dug out the sketch i made of the inside of the conformer from VS/Art and it looks like between 7 & 7 1/8" on the front to back and 6 1/4" side to side.

pat----

psklenar

One of the Regulars
Take the Stetsons that fit very comfortably, ignore the manufacturer's sizing tag. ...

Curiouser and curiouser ... I was digging in a basement closet for an old hat to wear when I go out to cut the lawn in 30-45 minutes (giving it a chance to "cool down" a bit from the day time highs) and discovered a pair of old (late 1980's, early 90's) straw Stetsons cowboy hats ... both with size tags still legible (one appears to be unworn) and they are: 7 3/8 | 59. So that's four Stetson's over 25 to 30-ish years that fit and come in at 7 3/8.

I'm still going to get that tape and measure one of them and compare it to the Mayser, because the Mayser 59 fell onto my ears and the 58 feels like the same fit as the Stetsons.

pat----

Last edited:
I’m looking at a hat with this liner. The size tags makes me think late 60s or 70’s. I know the felt won’t be anything special. However, I’m unfamiliar with the liner and wanted to make sure I wasn’t bidding on some low-end fur felt, or worse: wool. The listing isn’t much help. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks

81f335d9541e530831113bf540939b87.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a ratio or or something that defines long vs regular oval? I just dug out the sketch i made of the inside of the conformer from VS/Art and it looks like between 7 & 7 1/8" on the front to back and 6 1/4" side to side.

pat----

I'm not certain of that but for instance, a regular oval 7 1/4 is 8" x 6 1/2". If you have worked with Art and he has sized you with the conformer, just give him a call and ask him for his assessment of your size.

I’m looking at a hat with this liner. The size tags makes me think late 60s or 70’s. I know the felt won’t be anything special. However, I’m unfamiliar with the liner and wanted to make sure I wasn’t bidding on some low-end fur felt, or worse: wool. The listing isn’t much help. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks

81f335d9541e530831113bf540939b87.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

70s, maybe even 80s. I run away screaming when I see that liner, but my interest in vintage Stetsons stops about 1960.

MidnightLady

New in Town
I have the privilege of helping a friend clear out his uncle's estate. His uncle was a WWII vet and a pack rat which I love. He has three hats that I need help with. Are they goodwill donations or valuable enough to sell on ebay? Here is the first one, a Stetson Imperial. Also I have a Stetson hat box. So looking for advice and also the date of the hat and box. Do you think the box and hat belong together also. Thanks so much in advance.
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 73

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
My only experience with the Stetson travel felts was handling a few of the Runabouts at the outlet, so take with a grain of salt.

They're ok. The felt is fairly pliable, and takes a dry crease decently well. The S-M-L-XL sizing just didn't really work for me. It's ok for what it is. Would I choose it for a daily wearer? No way. But, if it had fit my head better, I might have bought it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I have the privilege of helping a friend clear out his uncle's estate. His uncle was a WWII vet and a pack rat which I love. He has three hats that I need help with. Are they goodwill donations or valuable enough to sell on ebay? Here is the first one, a Stetson Imperial. Also I have a Stetson hat box. So looking for advice and also the date of the hat and box. Do you think the box and hat belong together also. Thanks so much in advance. View attachment 125623 View attachment 125624

I guess that depends on what you think is valuable enough.

Imperial was one of the higher quality felts for that time period and the mode, or Cavanagh edge treatment, is somewhat rare and no longer produced.

However, stingy brim hats seem to sell for less than wide brim hats in my experience.

Also, the size is important. If the hats are 6 7/8, they could sit on eBay for a while.

rosscoinc1

Familiar Face
I am tired of dropping good money on hats that don't fit or look different than advertised and have decided to take the plunge and have a custom hat made. I have narrowed it down to two choices:
Greeley Hat Works
and
Powder River Hats.
Anyone have experience with either?
Thanks,
Ross.

I am tired of dropping good money on hats that don't fit or look different than advertised and have decided to take the plunge and have a custom hat made. I have narrowed it down to two choices:
Greeley Hat Works
and
Powder River Hats.
Anyone have experience with either?
Thanks,
Ross.

Any chance you can visit the hatter and see actual examples of their work? Nothing beats a hands-on encounter.

chicken1616

New in Town
Interestingly, I live right down the road (10-12 miles) from Powder River, and have never heard of them! I have heard of Greeley, and they have a good rep. I am going to have to visit Powder River.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Curiouser and curiouser ... I was digging in a basement closet for an old hat to wear when I go out to cut the lawn in 30-45 minutes (giving it a chance to "cool down" a bit from the day time highs) and discovered a pair of old (late 1980's, early 90's) straw Stetsons cowboy hats ... both with size tags still legible (one appears to be unworn) and they are: 7 3/8 | 59. So that's four Stetson's over 25 to 30-ish years that fit and come in at 7 3/8.

I'm still going to get that tape and measure one of them and compare it to the Mayser, because the Mayser 59 fell onto my ears and the 58 feels like the same fit as the Stetsons.

pat----
Most of my hats are 58 or 7 1/4, but recently ordered a Mayser panama sized 58 from germany any it also fell to my ears. Seems they run a bit big. Had to put some felt reducers in that one. :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot