Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

camhabib

New in Town
I’m considering getting a felt hat for walking the dog on misty mornings. I have a 57 straw fedora that’s ever so slightly too tight, and a 58 felt hat that fits just about perfectly. My head measures 57.5cm, which would make me a 58. The hat I’m considering is a Stetson Carson. I’ve heard felt shrinks quite a bit once wet and was wondering if it would be better to go with the 58 (7 1/4) or go one size up to 59 (7 3/8)? Any help would be very much appreciated!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Good felt should not shrink much. Mostly when we on the lounge talk about shrinkage in hats, we are primarily referring to Akubras. They use a lower quality grade of leather for their sweatbands which is notorious for shrinkage.

Modern felts - which are not felted as densely as in years past - are sometimes susceptible to shrinkage. This usually manifests in tapering of the crown or the brim may start to curl up a bit.

In my experience with modern Stetsons, this has not significantly affected the sizing of the hat.

If the 58 fits you reasonably well, I would say go with the 58. If you are concerned about it shrinking up, consider investing in a hat jack or customized band block to keep the hat conformed to size,

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
A golfing friend has a very big head. My 7 1/4 hats look like small caps on him. The other day I measured the head opening in the hat he was wearing with a ruler (didn't have a tape measure with me to measure his head circumference), and it was 8 3/4 inches by 7 3/4 inches! About what size hat would that be?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
It's a US secret, Max. Actually add the numbers and divide by two. That's why I've sent you the interior measurements, length X width, on the hats we've talked about.
Ah! Thank you, Greg! I was just comparing the measurements with my own hats.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

There are other conversion charts that are slightly different:

234316a2d27caa91429347336526b320.png

Since this is my size chart for my purchases the fact that it stops at eight (8) has worked for me.

This last image I...er...borrowed from someone else on the Lounge:

e09dbe5d840cc8d192173983166ada55.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aihpcfl

New in Town
I'm curious about metal in the Akubra Bajo Patterson hat.

Here is why I ask. I've worn this hat many times through TSA metal detectors. This morning I had an issue and removing the hat (and sending it through X-Ray) resolved it.

I doubt the little emblem on the hat band was the problem, but maybe. I wonder if there is a light metal wire in the construction of the hat band. Is that the explanation? Or good guess?

The rest of the story is this was at DCA. The metal detector was very sensitive. Practically every man was having to remove stuff and go back through the scanner. I do this a lot, and it is the first time I've had a problem like this. Likewise I have been traveling with this hat, and first problem like this with the hat.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo