Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
5175E610-9865-44B9-944A-3AC27062F917.jpeg
And then there was THIS!!!
LIKE....LIKE....!!!!!!
I got your like!!
Get back in line Private!!
Not Lol
B

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Anyone recommend an inexpensive steamer that is effective for shaping hats?

I've been using a basic $6.00 kettle from Stop N Shop on the stove for years. Nice strong steam blast makes the process quick and easy. And it holds a lot of water if you have a lot to do.

I pulled out the whistler and I get a nice thick, quick moving column of steam with no noise.

Air Wing Marine

One of the Regulars
Hey Guys

I just got a Mr Stetson Sovereign stingy brim that is clean throughout except the faint odor of what smells like pipe tobacco. Any tips?

Hey Guys

I just got a Mr Stetson Sovereign stingy brim that is clean throughout except the faint odor of what smells like pipe tobacco. Any tips?

The most consistent advice is to put it in a box or container with some coffee grounds or baking soda. Leave it in there a few days. I've had some luck with the baking soda method.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last edited:
Would a white gas bath work to get rid of the smell if the hat needed cleaning anyway?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I dunno. I've only gotten a few hats where the smell bothered me, and that was usually musty old attic odor, not tobacco. Doug's right, too. No substitute for fresh air and sunshine. I can see that and a bath being effective.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Years ago I had guys over for a poker game at the house while the Mrs. was out of town. They smoked multiple cigars each. The use of a little ozone machine overnight, with a couple air sponges placed around the house, and my non-smoking wife couldn't tell anyone had smoked in the house.

Admittedly, some hats really reek when they arrive. I almost sent back a pristine vintage Cavanagh homburg because it smelled so bad. During the day I set it out on the back deck and overnight next to an open window... it didn't take out all the smell but it made it bearable to wear after that. I mean, it was so bad that the back bedroom where I stored it smelled like the hat after only a few hours in that room.

I actually just ordered that air sponge and some mustache wax off Amazon (free shipping with Amazon Prime). The sponge used to be available at Office Max, but they didn't have them the last time I looked. The air sponges work for all kinds of odors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran