Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I used a tea kettle for years with good results. I use a jiffy steamer now. The only difference I see is the steamer starts producing steam much faster. There is also consistency of temperature and steam. Equal results with either, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Doesn't the Jiffy's novel give you a bit more penetration power, though?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Sir, you have asked this question and gotten several answers in the other thread. @Bill Hughes posted at least a half-dozen pics including some Art Fawcett's that are not "conventional." I do not understand what you expect by starting a dedicated thread.

Taste is subjective, and sometimes you need to use your mind's eye to visualize things. And as others mentioned previously, consult with your hatter. They will provide shots of ribbon colors with your preferred felt purchase. The advantage there is, they will show you ribbon colors they actually have in stock and will be able to fulfill your request.

Good luck.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
+1

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I like earth tones that don't clash too much. It's all in a personal preference tho.

101399_608.jpeg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Newb again: So I see that Del Monico has mostly good reviews as a reputable dealer and I have a few hats on my list (who doesn't, right?). I got on their mailing list and have been getting a few "sale" emails from them but was wondering if, at various times or off seasons, do they have those "really good sales" that I should wait for (ie, discount sales, close-outs, 20% off, 25% off)? Thanks.

I've only seen 15% off....

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
35AC3F43-AE6B-4124-A909-548554E9C48C.jpeg
E6E51F5E-98D0-4EBF-B6F9-AA193F6F7BED.jpeg
Best I can do for camel with burgundy. The ribbon is quite dark but appears lighter in the sun. The ribbon is vintage cotton and rayon finished edge grosgrain. If you don’t want petersham ribbon make sure Hufvud knows that as that is mostly what he uses.

7688ef32cc28ebf6df972b367bad0a0e.jpg

9adb944dc05584f654fa69b89127c2f9.jpg

4798bf658ce3a10e2cd2c0720eac0e10.heic

I tried to show it in shadow as well as full sun. This is not a usual combination and I’m looking forward to seeing the finished hat(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hey Marine:
Welcome to the lounge.
Here’s one with a burgundy/wine/maroon, whatever color ribbon.
I don’t know if it’s granite. Granite (rock) can be anything from gray to black.
I just call this one gray.
Hope it helps and again welcome to the lounge.
B

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
9E78FD03-F17D-4A1D-B7F3-F30161342717.jpeg
Its not just the color ribbon but also the ribbon treatment. For example gills versus a standard bow. I take it this is a custom hat? If so work with the maker. Ask him for opinions.

Just as an example here are a couple of mine from Art Fawcett.
View attachment 140337
View attachment 140338

From Esther Weis. (my Dress Blues fedora)
View attachment 140339

Black Sheep Hat Works (notice the bow is one sided)
View attachment 140340

Gannon (the backside of the bow is frayed and the knot has a twist)
View attachment 140341

Or something very basic with an accent color (another by Art Fawcett)
View attachment 140342

And you can never go wrong with the classics.
View attachment 140343 View attachment 140344

Pretty much the only limit is your imagination. I have hundred of pictures saved to my computer of hats/ribbons. When I see something I like I save it. That's my main source for ideas.
Bill:
What a show!!
I expect to be seeing this one on the 10th ya know!!
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran