Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
lf

Well, if Beyonce can do it...

You might also check out D’Aquino on Etsy. Her Portuguese riding hats and Bolero hats are similar but with smaller brims. If you can live with wool felt, she might be able to source a hat body big enough for you.

You might need to reinforce the felt to keep the brim in shape: fiberglass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
I was thinking about that brim size too. I can't think of any hat body makers, here in the states, that can get a brim out to eight inches in felt without sacrificing crown height. What we add in brim, we lose in crown. There's only so much material in a felt hood before it's made into a capline. I have seen some wool hoods that have more material to work with.

hood.jpg

Jacob.hh.18

New in Town
You might also check out D’Aquino on Etsy. Her Portuguese riding hats and Bolero hats are similar but with smaller brims. If you can live with wool felt, she might be able to source a hat body big enough for you.

You might need to reinforce the felt to keep the brim in shape: fiberglass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

good idea with the Fiber will Research it and D`aquino is as well contacted thanks a lot

Jacob.hh.18

New in Town
I was thinking about that brim size too. I can't think of any hat body makers, here in the states, that can get a brim out to eight inches in felt without sacrificing crown height. What we add in brim, we lose in crown. There's only so much material in a felt hood before it's made into a capline. I have seen some wool hoods that have more material to work with.

View attachment 144171

ah okay i see so it wont really make a difference if i would buy the already shaped capeline or hood since ist the same just changed i need more material over all. sorry i am a bit slow since i nver done anything like this. Would it be possible to make the top and brim out of two different pieces of felt or would that be too visible ? thanks a lot already in advance

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Why am I afraid to wear one of my "good" hats in the rain? I've now built up a decent collection of toppers, but when it rains like it's been doing here lately, I'm afraid to wear one out in it! Isn't one of the primary purposes of a hat to protect one's head from the elements? How can I "get over it" and just plunk one on my head as I go out the door?

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Why am I afraid to wear one of my "good" hats in the rain? I've now built up a decent collection of toppers, but when it rains like it's been doing here lately, I'm afraid to wear one out in it! Isn't one of the primary purposes of a hat to protect one's head from the elements? How can I "get over it" and just plunk one on my head as I go out the door?
I'm with you to a certain point. My dress hats that are pristine never see rain. Those are the ones boxed and only used when dressed up. Then I have every day hats that I don't give a dam about. They are used rain or shine.

humanshoes

One Too Many
This from the styleforum website. Hey, if it's good enough for all those "stylish" people it oughtta be good enough for the rest of us.
"A quality hat is designed to protect you from the rain, not to be protected from the rain. A beaver fur hat should hold up fine in the rain, just let it dry away from heat with the brim turned up. Rabbit fur and blends will usually be fine. Wool just won't stand up to the rain."

Winston Carter

Practically Family
This from the styleforum website. Hey, if it's good enough for all those "stylish" people it oughtta be good enough for the rest of us.
"A quality hat is designed to protect you from the rain, not to be protected from the rain. A beaver fur hat should hold up fine in the rain, just let it dry away from heat with the brim turned up. Rabbit fur and blends will usually be fine. Wool just won't stand up to the rain."
I have noticed when Stetson Royal Deluxe quality hats get soaked they will curl a little and get ripples in felt. Some say Akubra hats love the rain. I don't know since I don't own one. My Stetson dress hats that I have styled just right I will leave them dry.

You've answered your own question--just plunk one on your head as you go out the door. ;) As has already been stated, the hat is supposed to protect you from rain, not the other way 'round.

If you're still concerned for any reason, get an Akubra or two and designate it/them as your "rain" hat(s). Akubras like rain, and they're easier and less expensive to replace than most vintage hats.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
You've answered your own question--just plunk one on your head as you go out the door. ;) As has already been stated, the hat is supposed to protect you from rain, not the other way 'round.

If you're still concerned for any reason, get an Akubra or two and designate it/them as your "rain" hat(s). Akubras like rain, and they're easier and less expensive to replace than most vintage hats.

Well, I do have an Akubra Campdraft. I've had it out in light rain, but not the drenching downpours we've had here of late.

Most of my hats (and these days, my go-to hats are Stetson Fredericks) are wool, and the above post about wool not standing up to the rain is why I'm worried about wearing them in the rain.

I have a rabbit fur Sterkowski. I wonder if that is a water-resistant as beaver?

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Thanks Winston, as well as others, for this good to know information. I've learned more about felt fedoras and westerns the past couple days then ever imagined.:) Now think I'm leaning toward a softer rabbit felt fedora. And I'll definitely look into Bickmore Stiffener.

next question-
If I go with the silverbelly (which l think I'll definitely do), what would be a suggestion for sweatband and liner colors?
muchas gracious amigos! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner