Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I like a little more shellac to my hats. That's the reason I use Bickmore. JMO If everyone liked the same women there would be a lot of fighting.

I’m an equal opportunity hatist (trademark pending). I like westerns, outdoors/adventure hat, homburgs, bowlers, stingy brims...sorry “slim brims,” caps, and most anything else. I find a use for them all. It’s akin to having a bag full of golf clubs and choosing the right one for the conditions. When I want a dress hat I want it soft and can’t image adding stiffener. I like the hats for their unique qualities be it so soft it’s almost floppy or western stiff. I don’t want to make them all feel the same. I do use stiffener, but not too often and never yet on dress hats. Just my personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I’m an equal opportunity hatist (trademark pending). I like westerns, outdoors/adventure hat, homburgs, bowlers, stingy brims...sorry “slim brims,” caps, and most anything else. I find a use for them all. It’s akin to having a bag full of god clubs and choosing the right one for the conditions. When I want a dress hat I want it soft and can’t image adding stiffener. I like the hats for their unique qualities be it so soft it’s almost floppy or western stiff. I don’t want to make them all feel the same. I do use stiffener, but not too often and never yet on dress hats. Just my personal preference.

I agree. I have about 15 hats that I wouldn't use anything on them. They are dress hats kept clean in boxes and they feel good when I get dressed up. The other hats are just everyday hats. Like you I have almost any kind of hat to fit the activity i'm in. My head doesn't feel right unless it is covered. A lot of that comes from the military. We had dress hats and ball caps but we always had a hat on.

I like a little more shellac to my hats. That's the reason I use Bickmore. JMO If everyone liked the same women there would be a lot of fighting.

It's not a matter of like, and I'm not criticizing your preferences. My point is a hat doesn't need to be stiff to be "tough." I believe that's a misperception.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I don't want to sound like a salesman for Bickmore Felt Stiffener but it really works good. I will steam and shape a hat, spray it down good and let it dry overnight. When it is dry I will brush it good and the felt will be nice and soft. If it is still not stiff enough for your liking just repeat. It can be re-steamed also. Hatco gets about $10 a bottle. I don't know the cost over the internet??

It sounds like you have gotten better results from the stiffener than I have, Winston. I am using the Bickmore Kahl stiffener in the black, manual pump spray bottle, that smells like hair spray; I assume this is the same thing you are using? But I have not tried brushing afterwards, so with that knowledge I will try again with more stiffener, be a little more aggressive, and brush afterwards. This is the first time I have tried anything like this so I appreciate the encouragement that it can be made to work without affecting the surface texture of the felt.

For what it's worth, this is a very thin rabbit fur hat that I am "arguing" with. I love how soft it is, but the 3" wide brim is so flimsy that it won't hold its shape even 15 minutes after I put it on my head. I'd love to get the brim "just" stiff enough to behave, while the crown remains soft. It is without a doubt the most comfortable and light hat I own (because it is so soft, thin, and flexible), so I'd really like to wear it more often.

Thank you,
Regan

Last edited:

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I agree. I have about 15 hats that I wouldn't use anything on them. They are dress hats kept clean in boxes and they feel good when I get dressed up. The other hats are just everyday hats. Like you I have almost any kind of hat to fit the activity i'm in. My head doesn't feel right unless it is covered. A lot of that comes from the military. We had dress hats and ball caps but we always had a hat on.
"My head doesn't feel right unless it is covered."
True, true. I feel the same.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Winston Carter

Practically Family
It sounds like you have gotten better results from the stiffener than I have, Winston. I am using the Bickmore Kahl stiffener in the black, manual pump spray bottle, that smells like hair spray; I assume this is the same thing you are using? But I have not tried brushing afterwards, so with that knowledge I will try again with more stiffener, be a little more aggressive, and brush afterwards. This is the first time I have tried anything like this so I appreciate the encouragement that it can be made to work without affecting the surface texture of the felt.

For what it's worth, this is a very thin rabbit fur hat that I am "arguing" with. I love how soft it is, but the 3" wide brim is so flimsy that it won't hold its shape even 15 minutes after I put it on my head. I'd love to get the brim "just" stiff enough to behave, while the crown remains soft. It is without a doubt the most comfortable and light hat I own (because it is so soft, thin, and flexible), so I'd really like to wear it more often.

Thank you,
Regan
I spray them down pretty good. I can get about 4 hats a bottle.

I’m an equal opportunity hatist (trademark pending). I like westerns, outdoors/adventure hat, homburgs, bowlers, stingy brims...sorry “slim brims,” caps, and most anything else. I find a use for them all. It’s akin to having a bag full of god clubs and choosing the right one for the conditions. When I want a dress hat I want it soft and can’t image adding stiffener. I like the hats for their unique qualities be it so soft it’s almost floppy or western stiff. I don’t want to make them all feel the same. I do use stiffener, but not too often and never yet on dress hats. Just my personal preference.

Agree with you.

Not sure what other advice to share - if you like your hats stiff, shop for vintage after 1955. If you like them really stiff, 1965 and later.

I would suggest adding a second "T" when you trademark that slogan - it'd be a good one. And while you're at it, be sure to patent those god clubs. You'd sell a million to golfers at my talent level.

;^)
Alan

Agree with you.

Not sure what other advice to share - if you like your hats stiff, shop for vintage after 1955. If you like them really stiff, 1965 and later.

I would suggest adding a second "T" when you trademark that slogan - it'd be a good one. And while you're at it, be sure to patent those god clubs. You'd sell a million to golfers at my talent level.

;^)
Alan

Darn auto correct...although.... :)

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Agree with you.

;^)
Alan
LOL!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

It takes courage to post from your phone. On Facebook, Dobbs always autocorrects to "Hobbs" for some reason that's beyond me. Maybe an homage to Bernard Malamud?
Oooh a Malamud reference. You are the Fixer! We have a collection of Malamud's papers at OSU. He taught there back in the day. Some original correspondence and first editions of all his books.

Jacob.hh.18

New in Town
Hello everyone,

i am a student from Germany and study fashion design. For one of my current courses, i want to create a look including a felt hat, inspired by an illustration from the „Sinister Sisters“ from the movie „Kubo and the two strings“. The small Problem is i have none and my Professor only limited Knowledge of hatmaking, luckily my University has quite a lot of equipment for it.

Now to the question or rather problem, how do i get a really huge and oversized felt brim stiff enough ?

To be a bit more precisely I want to make a flat top fedora with a brim that’s at least 20cm (8in) or even wider entirely out of felt if possible.

Would be a normal stiffner like shellack or something simmiliar enough that it wont "flop" down? I as well had the idea to include, maybe small hidden wooden or metal rods in the brim is that an option or another idea to hold the brim up ? Or should i maybe choose an entirely differnent material, since felt can be quite heavy ? I really have no idea what i can do so any tipp is welcome :)

Thank you very much for any answers or tipps i really look Forward hearing from even just one of u.

Sincerly your overwhelmed

Jacob

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-12_15-22-52.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-12_15-22-52.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 652

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred