Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
To the other’s list, I’d add the No. 1. I’ll also add to the chorus and say some of my nicest hats don’t have a model name anywhere on the hat. Rather than competing with the hordes, and some of them have some deep pockets, I do the best with no name hats.

I do like the Playboy and some color combinations of the Whippet, but these were not top tier hats when they were made and now regularly sell for a more than their contemporaries that were originally much more expensive. If you want to collect and get a particular model that’s one thing, but if you want great hats just to wear that’s something else. In the larger (my) sizes it’s catch-as-catch-can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was under the impression the No. 1 was a quality level, not a model designation.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I’ve vacuumed lots of hat with the brush attachment. I haven’t noticed any ill effects. Some vintage hats arrive with decades of dust and normal brushing never seems to get it all out. Most of my used hats go into the freezer for a few days and then get vacuumed and brushed.

Thanks, Brent. It makes perfect sense to me to vacuum a really dirty hat, but I figured with my luck it would ruin a fine hat somehow. I agree with the freezer quarantine; luckily I have never had a moth problem in my house, so anything other than a brand-new custom hat from a US maker hits the freezer for a few days (even brand-new Akubras). Moths in my hats would be bad enough but would be noticed fairly quickly. Moths in my wool outdoor clothes could really wreak havoc over the course of a summer, though.

Does it hurt to vacuum the dust off of a felt hat, assuming you use a brush attachment and move in a counterclockwise direction around the hat?

Vacuumed lots of my hats, especially the black ones. I just use the softest brush attachment I have. Never put one in the freezer though. Fresh air and sunlight seems to do the trick. Got in trouble once for putting a pair of boots in the freezer. I've read that the guys that don't wash their selvedge jeans often put them in the freezer.

was under the impression the No. 1 was a quality level, not a model designation.

You're right, Jim, though these quality designations seem to be more common in the western and western dress hats. I'm often amazed at the Miller-Stockman catalogs where a #1 to a 100 quality could be ordered in a particular model and that model have nothing more than the quality designation listed on the interior.

I was under the impression the No. 1 was a quality level, not a model designation.

I knew that Standard etc. was a quality description similar to Royal DeLuxe etc. but I was told here on the Lounge that in the later years the No. 1 morphed more into a definable model rather than just a quality level. In the ‘50s for instance, were ranges of hats offered as No. 1 or was it more limited to specific models? And if I received inaccurate information on the internet is there some government agency I should contact? This might be the first documented occurrence of the internet providing bad information.

...And if I received inaccurate information on the internet is there some government agency I should contact? This might be the first documented occurrence of the internet providing bad information.
1sLowq7.jpg

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
I have only ever purchased hats off the rack. Or something I might come upon in an antique store, etc. Always a quality name brand such as Dobbs, Stetson, or Biltmore. However I'd hardly consider myself a collector. But now considering ordering a custom hat for myself and really like what I'm seeing from Michael Gannon (Gannon Hat Company) in Portland, OR.
I'm sure I've heard his company discussed here before as well as seen photos. And I'm sure he is highly reputable. But does anyone have any info they'ed like to share on Gannon hats right now? Much thanks.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I have only ever purchased hats off the rack. Or something I might come upon in an antique store, etc. Always a quality name brand such as Dobbs, Stetson, or Biltmore. However I'd hardly consider myself a collector. But now considering ordering a custom hat for myself and really like what I'm seeing from Michael Gannon (Gannon Hat Company) in Portland, OR.
I'm sure I've heard his company discussed here before as well as seen photos. And I'm sure he is highly reputable. But does anyone have any info they'ed like to share on Gannon hats right now? Much thanks.
From looking at their website the hats look great. Never bought one but wondering what the weight is. I hate thin flimsy hats that won't hold shape.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/m-c-gannon-hat-company.83744/

Read over the thread Bama linked to and then contact him and buy one. Or two. I have four, and really need to contact him for another. It's been over a year since he made me a hat and I have that "Gannon Jones."

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Michael can pounce your hat as you wish. My hats are dress weight and not floppy at all. They take a dry crease fine, but I used steam to set the crease once I had it dialed in where I like it... and the hat liked it.

With my next hat from Michael I'll be asking for thinly pounced felt like a vintage lightweight. I like the look and the character of felt like that.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Michael can pounce your hat as you wish. My hats are dress weight and not floppy at all. They take a dry crease fine, but I used steam to set the crease once I had it dialed in where I like it... and the hat liked it.

With my next hat from Michael I'll be asking for thinly pounced felt like a vintage lightweight. I like the look and the character of felt like that.
I like the 6" crown for bashing, ribbon, and binding on his hats. Look good to me.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I guess from my western only days I got use to a heavier weight hat. All my fedora's after steaming I will use Bickmore to set and make stiffer. I just prefer them to hold shape.

2 1/4" is weird. If it was 2 1/2", it would be a Lounge edition BGGCD, such as @RJR is wearing today over in WHAYWT.

Yeah, I know about the Lounge version (I’ve seen them called 2 1/2 and 2 5/8 inches). The fact that the sweat says Camp Draft and the brim is still bound (not likely cut back) makes this a head scratcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner