Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
Hi Loungers,
I found a nice looking Stetson "Premier" online. The seller claims it is probably from the 1940s.
I have studied some threads here about dating Stetsons and vintage hats in general, but I still find it often difficult.
Here are pics from the liner and sweatband; unfortunately no photo of the paper tag.
Any information and input concerning age and quality is much appreciated.
Stetson-Premier-Sweat.jpg
Stetson-Premier-Liner.jpg

Stetson-Premier-Hat.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Loungers,
I found a nice looking Stetson "Premier" online. The seller claims it is probably from the 1940s.
I have studied some threads here about dating Stetsons and vintage hats in general, but I still find it often difficult.
Here are pics from the liner and sweatband; unfortunately no photo of the paper tag.
Any information and input concerning age and quality is much appreciated. View attachment 143570 View attachment 143571

Likely mid-50s, based on the sweat and liner logo both having the maple leaf in the upper left.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Still very new to hats, I keep seeing various Stetson models that seem to be most desirable or often refered to as "standards" like the Stratoliner, Playboy, 100. What would you say are the Top 10 vintage Stetson models to keep my eyes out for?

Still very new to hats, I keep seeing various Stetson models that seem to be most desirable or often refered to as "standards" like the Stratoliner, Playboy, 100. What would you say are the Top 10 vintage Stetson models to keep my eyes out for?

I wouldn't even go 10. I'd say the Open Road is the most popular, and has been consistently offered for decades. Strat is probably #2. Playboys were one of the most popular models when they were available, but don't confuse them with the Playboy II, a stingy, less desirable 60s version. Then there is of course the Whippet, which is the one everybody goes gaga for these days. While something like a 100 is desirable, I wouldn't necessarily call them a standard.

There are other popular and collectible Stetsons, like Vogues, Wanderers, Shore Clubs, etc. But again, though collectible because of their scarcity, I wouldn't say they're standards.

Maybe a St Regis Homburg could be added to the list made by @Frunobulax , and just generally, any 50s or earlier Royal Stetson or the Royal DeLuxe (although they come in many different configuations and it's more of a quality rating than an actual model name).

Those are my thoughts, as well. We wrestle with the lack of model names on here all the time. But you know if you get your mitts on a vintage Royal DeLuxe, you know you have a nice hat on your head.

Perhaps also the Stetsonian? They were offered in varying configurations since the early 1900s, though they didn't seem to sell with the frequency of ORs or Playboys. However, perhaps their longevity makes them a "Standard." Also the Boss of the Plains. I'm not a Western hat wearer, but that model has been around in various forms since John B. started making hats.

Kane

One of the Regulars
My question: how to post pictures? I have uploaded pics to “my media” and then inserted to a thread post, but it seems that they are only visible to me. Do I need to link to a remote picture hosting site? Sorry if I am asking the obvious or going over old ground, but I can not seem to find any info on this. Your help is appreciated.

My question: how to post pictures? I have uploaded pics to “my media” and then inserted to a thread post, but it seems that they are only visible to me. Do I need to link to a remote picture hosting site? Sorry if I am asking the obvious or going over old ground, but I can not seem to find any info on this. Your help is appreciated.

Kane, welcome. I think you have to have 10 posts to start uploading pics. You can do so directly from your files by clicking on the "UPLOAD A FILE" tab. Find yourself some topics to post a few more comments on.

To the other’s list, I’d add the No. 1. I’ll also add to the chorus and say some of my nicest hats don’t have a model name anywhere on the hat. Rather than competing with the hordes, and some of them have some deep pockets, I do the best with no name hats.

I do like the Playboy and some color combinations of the Whippet, but these were not top tier hats when they were made and now regularly sell for a more than their contemporaries that were originally much more expensive. If you want to collect and get a particular model that’s one thing, but if you want great hats just to wear that’s something else. In the larger (my) sizes it’s catch-as-catch-can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Woodtroll

One Too Many
This may be a stupid question, but I've wondered about it for a while, and searched without really finding anything. Someone mentioned a really dusty hat on another thread, which triggered my memory and leads me to the question:

Does it hurt to vacuum the dust off of a felt hat, assuming you use a brush attachment and move in a counterclockwise direction around the hat?

Everybody talks about brushing them, even using different color bristles, etc., but I've never seen anyone mention vacuuming them.

Thanks!
Regan

This may be a stupid question, but I've wondered about it for a while, and searched without really finding anything. Someone mentioned a really dusty hat on another thread, which triggered my memory and leads me to the question:

Does it hurt to vacuum the dust off of a felt hat, assuming you use a brush attachment and move in a counterclockwise direction around the hat?

Everybody talks about brushing them, even using different color bristles, etc., but I've never seen anyone mention vacuuming them.

Thanks!
Regan

I’ve vacuumed lots of hat with the brush attachment. I haven’t noticed any ill effects. Some vintage hats arrive with decades of dust and normal brushing never seems to get it all out. Most of my used hats go into the freezer for a few days and then get vacuumed and brushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot