Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Dad used some type of thing that came in a red plastic container, about the size of a shoeshine polish can, that also had a little plastic "comb" attached to get the most of your flattop. It must not have been Butch Wax, because the images online don't look anything like it.

I've run across several hats recently where the logo on the liner is smugged. What usually causes that to happen?

HERE is your answer. How could we all forget?!!
093b05bccfc1cc4e214a401e931d1e28--vintage-bottles-package-design.jpg

And don't forget to read the instructions on the back, as to the recommended method of shaking the product...
Yeah, I had a bottle of this.

A question on modern Borsalino sizing:

I’m looking at a modern Borsalino that has a size tag in three units of measurement:
61 - 7 - 7 1/2
My question is that a metic 61 and French/Punti 7 is normally a US size 7 5/8 so is the 7 1/2 UK sizing?

Thanks,

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup. According to my charts 71/2 is UK for 61 metric, 7 Punti and 75/8 US.

Thanks, Bowen. I know how the conversion goes, but the hat appears to have been made for the US market. I wondered if recently Borsalino, which usually runs small in my experience, decided that their size 61 was closer to a US size 7 1/2 than 7 5/8.

I’ve seen that hat too. It’s nice and would be tempting if I wore that size. No idea as to “worth” but those small sized hats sell for a lot less than the larger sizes.

I just sold one similar to that also in 6 7/8(without the box) for $40. It sat for a long time garnering no interest so I grabbed the first offer that showed up.

In 7 5/8 it would have sold immediately and in the $300 range.

My wife is 6 7/8 and I have picked up a bunch of great vintage fedoras for her for a song. Alas she has disliked everyone of them. I can take a hint although I am a touch slow and have stopped buying hats for her but did it really to satisfy my habit. A 6 7/8 size head would look quite funny on my large and chunky body but for the prices small hats go for it might be a trade I would make given the option. My wife found a hat in a local milliner's on the weekend and wanted to buy it. I dissuaded her as it was a poorly made (albeit Tonak felt) women's fedora. I could not in good faith let her buy it so I took pics and now Rick is making her a reproduction but it will be a real hat, well made by a craftsman of the first order.

Raybuntu

Familiar Face
eBay: I recently saw a Ponte Rialto in 7 5/8. In that size you’ll need to be patient I’m not aware of custom hatters making boaters.
Thank you. I'm aware of ebay but the patient is killing mme.IIprobably missed that one. Also not every seller wants to ship overseas (I'm from Germany).

Barak Ness

New in Town
Greetings Everyone,
This is my first day here. My Father passed me down the following Borsalino & now that he is passed away I am really trying to learn about it.

VINTAGE ITALY BORSALINO: ANTICA CASA 1857 nel / SOAVE / nettuno
**ALESSANDRIA EDITION**
It is still Mint Condition; Never worn; with original tags, box, and plastic wrapping

FUR FELT
7 Weeks of pure Craftmanship
The uniqueness of the Borsalino product lies in its production process: made of fine fur felt (rabbit or hare) it passes through around fifty production phases and it takes an average of seven weeks' work to finish every hat. This long-established process has been passed down from generation to generation and its secret lies in the rigorous sequence of stages alternated with machines and hand-working stages which determine the quality and control of the finished product.

THE ICON
Giuseppe Borsalino - nicknamed "u siur Pipen" (Master Joe) in the local dialect – was born in Alessandria in Italy in 1834. After starting as an errand boy then an apprentice in his home town, he finds a job at the Berteil hat factory in Rue du Temple, Paris, where he works for around seven years before becoming a qualified Master Hatter. A year after returning to Italy, Giuseppe opens his first workshop in a courtyard in Via Schiavina in Alessandria together with his brother, Lazzaro. It was the beginning of a story that was to achieve great success and immense satisfaction, becoming the stuff of legend.

Attachments

• Borsalino 1.JPG
    Borsalino 1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 332
  • Borsalino 2.JPG
    Borsalino 2.JPG
    800.3 KB · Views: 411
  • Borsalino 3.JPG
    Borsalino 3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 678
  • Borsalino 4.JPG
    Borsalino 4.JPG
    847.6 KB · Views: 877
  • Borsalino 5.JPG
    Borsalino 5.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 956
  • Borsalino 6.JPG
    Borsalino 6.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 896
  • Borsalino 7.JPG
    Borsalino 7.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 994
  • Borsalino 8.JPG
    Borsalino 8.JPG
    928.3 KB · Views: 911
  • Borsalino 9.JPG
    Borsalino 9.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,002
  • Borsalino 13.JPG
    Borsalino 13.JPG
    974.6 KB · Views: 995

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Greetings Everyone,
This is my first day here. My Father passed me down the following Borsalino & now that he is passed away I am really trying to learn about it.

So, was it your father or your grandfather?

Greetings Everyone,
I am literally brand new. I just registered 10 minutes ago and this is my first post.
I have been searching around trying to learn about the Borsalino hat my grandpa gave me before he passed.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-fedora-lounge-4-0.93751/page-16#post-2487951

I see you have the hat listed on ebay for a starting bid of $1,000 and claim the value to be $2,000 - $10,000, having utilized "The most accredited Appraisers."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132863509249

I'm perplexed as to why you would come to a website known for people with some expertise regarding vintage hats, feigning to want knowledge about a family heirloom but actually already have it listed for sale at a ridiculous price.

Did you really think your story would fly here?

It's a relatively modern hat. There's nothing exceptional about it. IF it were sized for an adult, the value might be around $75. At 55 cm, it wouldn't even fit my daughter and if it did, being black in color, I still wouldn't offer you more than $25.

Don't waste our time with your shenanigans.​

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I see you have the hat listed on ebay for a starting bid of $1,000 and claim the value to be $2,000 - $10,000, having utilized "The most accredited Appraisers."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132863509249

And shipping is a bargain at only $25-100. Man alive! I honestly have no idea of the value of this hat and so have no dog in that fight, but refuse to buy anything from Ebay sellers who price gouge on shipping. Barak Ness, perhaps if your expectations were a little more realistic, you might be able to sell the hat.

Good luck with the sale, I hope your financial situation improves soon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider