Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've seen PHD used here. I think @hatsRme uses it... and I use it.
I actually keep a list of Acronyms. This is what I have so far.
  • BGCD = Bluegrass Campdraft
  • BGGCD = Bluegrass Green Campdraft
  • CB = Clear Beaver (Stetson)
  • CRM = Cane Rod Maker = Alley Kat Hats = Tim Mahovich
  • NOS = New Old Stock
  • OR = Open Road
  • PHD = Panama Hats Direct
  • SBCD - Silverbelly Campdraft
  • SCB = Stetson Clear Beaver
  • SLS = Stephen L. Stetson
  • TFCD = Taupe Fawn Campdraft

What hat would you wear on an island in the tropics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotta be one of my Panamas. I have a feather lite Optima that I wear and sometimes forget it is there as it is so light. The last time I went to Cuba I only took a baseball cap. Bought a woven banana leaf trilby that was the hottest most uncomfortable thing I have ever placed on my head. Luckily it only cost me $2....that should have been my first clue.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Gotta be one of my Panamas. I have a feather lite Optima that I wear and sometimes forget it is there as it is so light. The last time I went to Cuba I only took a baseball cap. Bought a woven banana leaf trilby that was the hottest most uncomfortable thing I have ever placed on my head. Luckily it only cost me $2....that should have been my first clue.
I have actually looked all over the house for where I set a panama down. 30 min. later find it on my head.:):):)

What hat would you wear on an island in the tropics?
I'd wear a Sunbody.

1XTPKfb.jpg

Heavier, warmer, and more "rough around the edges" than a traditional Panama/straw hat, but it provides better sun protection and you wouldn't have to worry about it getting wet if you got caught in a sudden tropical rainstorm. I linked to the model/style I got, but they have a decent variety of styles to choose from. It's advertised as having a 2-1/2" wide brim, but mine is 2-3/4". And if the black band isn't to your liking you can easily change it:

LjpSZMS.jpg

ciAluwU.jpg

We should have decoder rings.
JlNgvJ8.jpg

I actually keep a list of Acronyms. This is what I have so far.
  • BGCD = Bluegrass Campdraft
  • BGGCD = Bluegrass Green Campdraft
  • CB = Clear Beaver (Stetson)
  • CRM = Cane Rod Maker = Alley Kat Hats = Tim Mahovich
  • NOS = New Old Stock
  • OR = Open Road
  • PHD = Panama Hats Direct
  • SBCD - Silverbelly Campdraft
  • SCB = Stetson Clear Beaver
  • SLS = Stephen L. Stetson
  • TFCD = Taupe Fawn Campdraft

Seen less of late, but we all used to dress for TAR Tuesdays, or WAR Wednesday’s....
Thin A$$ed Ribbon hats, or
Wide...

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up

I thought of a Panama. I have a Cuenca from VS but I don’t think it is meant for the rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I'd wear a Sunbody.

1XTPKfb.jpg

Heavier, warmer, and more "rough around the edges" than a traditional Panama/straw hat, but it provides better sun protection and you wouldn't have to worry about it getting wet if you got caught in a sudden tropical rainstorm. I linked to the model/style I got, but they have a decent variety of styles to choose from. It's advertised as having a 2-1/2" wide brim, but mine is 2-3/4". And if the black band isn't to your liking you can easily change it:

LjpSZMS.jpg

ciAluwU.jpg

JlNgvJ8.jpg
Nice Sunbody. I tried one last Summer and while it seemed indestructible, I am thinking something a little lighter may be in order.
I wore my Dobbs Milan every day for 2 weeks while on Kauai recently, it held up ok. I wonder how my Stratoliner straw would hold up in the rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails