Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Baron hats made quite a few cat (well, cat puppet) sized hats for the original Sabrina the Teenage Witch tv show. They're not currently featured on the website, but I'd imagine cash is king, so to speak. Though, like everything Baron sells, they weren't cheap.
So that's where my witchey wife got Merlin's hat.
merlin.png

Dm101

A-List Customer
Question: anyone have info or advice on converting a harness-boot harness top-strap to a "strap with buckle"?

I have a general idea of how to go about it, but as always...instruction and advice are requested.

Thank you!
[emoji4]

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Looking at the photos again, I'm wondering if the hat came that way from Cavanagh or if those stitches were added by one of it's owners at some point to "dress it up" a bit.

I wondered that too. I tried to find another Cavanagh Hunt Club to compare it to but struck out. Maybe this hat will convince Brad to make an appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Not sure where to ask this, so I'll ask here. Any recommendatios for a make/model straw or hemp hat that can be purchased open crown so I can crease it myself? I've looked at a few from American Hat Co and they seem very stiff. I was hoping to find something a bit softer. (I'm thinking here more of a westwern weight rather than panama.)

Last edited:
Not sure where to ask this, so I'll ask here. Any recommendatios for a make/model straw or hemp hat that can be purchased open crown so I can crease it myself? I've looked at a few from American Hat Co and they seem very stiff. I was hoping to find something a bit softer. (I'm thinking here more of a westwern weight rather than panama.)
Sunbody has a number of open crown Guatemalan/"fine" palm hats with different brim widths, but mine was definitely stiff when I got it (after wearing it off and on for almost two years it has softened a little) and all of their hats are a little rough around the edges; more "casual/outdoor" than "dress" hats. They're also at least a little heavier (weight) and warmer than most straw hats, but they claim to offer better sun protection than most straw hats if that's something you're interested in. I really like mine, but a true Panama hat "aficionado" would probably consider it too "low end" for his/her tastes. I'm just offering a suggestion you may not have considered.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it's been done. From the files, here’s Miles. He prefers straws, for the breathability, but he also seems to have an aversion to FUR felt, for some reason...

I am sporting a marvelous Mallory, for an attempt at Youthful Smartness!
View attachment 153493 View attachment 153494
Please pardon the blurry morning eyes, mates.
That straw is too small for Miles, Charlie. It was probably made for a Chihuahua. Does it say "Hecho en México"?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Looking at the photos again, I'm wondering if the hat came that way from Cavanagh or if those stitches were added by one of it's owners at some point to "dress it up" a bit.
If someone did, he has awful taste. I wish they weren't there. I will ask Ignacio if he can do something about that.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I'll look at Sunbodies again, Zombi, but the two I've had never seem to fit me very well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sunbody has a number of open crown Guatemalan/"fine" palm hats with different brim widths, but mine was definitely stiff when I got it (after wearing it off and on for almost two years it has softened a little) and all of their hats are a little rough around the edges; more "casual/outdoor" than "dress" hats. They're also at least a little heavier (weight) and warmer than most straw hats, but they claim to offer better sun protection than most straw hats if that's something you're interested in. I really like mine, but a true Panama hat "aficionado" would probably consider it too "low end" for his/her tastes. I'm just offering a suggestion you may not have considered.

I'll look at Sunbodies again, Zombi, but the two I've had never seem to fit me very well. Thanks for the suggestion.
I can understand that. When I ordered mine I, as usual, ignored the suggestion on their website regarding sizing and ordered my size. It fit a little loose when I received it, but after soaking and shaping it it wound up being a little too snug for my tastes. Wearing it helped to loosen it up a little and now it's comfortable, but it took quite some time to get to that point. Anyway, it was just a thought. Good luck finding the hat you want!

Two questions for you guys on these Sunbody hats:
1) Are they cool in the summer heat?
2) You recommend ordering one size down?

In my experience, they don’t breath hardly at all (ventilation eyelets are available). I don’t wear either of mine much due to them being warm wearing.

The cloth sweatband shrinks 1% (according to SunBody) so I definitely would not order a size down. I’d order your normal size unless that size fits like a glove in which case I’d gone one size up.

I tried to reblock one after leaving it submerged in warm water for a couple of hours...no dice. They don’t have that kind of give in them. They do mold/form/shape very easy when wet, but forget about reblocking them.

These have been my experiences, others might have different.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I don't know if I would necessarily describe them as being cool, but they are definitely cooler than wearing felt. As Brent described, they don't breathe very well. I had eyelets installed on mine which helps to a minimal extent. The thing I really like about them is that you can soak them in water (this is actually recommended to help prevent the palm from drying out and becoming brittle). I will say that it is quite refreshing to wear the wet hat in the heat of summer while doing work outside.

As for sizing, I ordered my normal hat size and have not had any issues with it. When it arrived it was a little loose, but after a few soakings and some head time, the fit is much better. I would say that the 1% shrinkage is pretty accurate. The hat will also conform to your head better after soaking it and wearing it for a bit.

There is a dedicated thread called the SunBody Association that is worth a look for more information.

I agree with Brent/deadlyhandsome and Ryan/Just A Hat Rack on both counts:

1) They're cooler in the summer heat than a fur felt hat, but the palms and weave are so thick and tight that they don't "breathe" much. Depending on the temperature and humidity you'll probably still sweat, but in my experience nowhere near as much as you would wearing a fur felt hat. Sunbody will add "ventilation eyelets" to any hat for a small fee (less than $3) if the buyer requests it, but from what I've read they have little or no effect.

2) It's never a good idea to order a smaller size than you would normally wear unless the manufacturer has a reputation for producing oversized goods.

To quote Sunbody's website: "We sell two types of hats: Guatemalan palm leaf and Mexican palm leaf. The Guatemalan hat (most of the hats on our website) have a foam-padded cotton twill sweatband that tends to shrink about 1% with heat and moisture. This is about 1/2 of a hat size (1/16" diameter). If you are buying a GUATEMALAN hat, we recommend buying a hat that is just a little bit loose to allow for this shrinkage. This usually means buying one size larger than you normally wear. The Mexican palm leaf hats, on the other hand, have an absorbent polyester cloth sweatband that does not shrink. And they tend to run a little large. On the Mexican hats you should buy your normal size."

My Sunbody is made from their Guatemalan palm leaves and it did indeed shrink at least half a size, but like Akubra hats it's the sweatband that shrinks, not the hat itself. So my suggestion would be the same as ordering an Akubra--if you're between sizes definitely order the larger size, and if you normally wear an exact size it depends on whether you prefer your hats fit tight or loose; if you like them tight order your size, and if you like them loose order one size larger than you normally would. Sunbody has posted a size chart for their hats on their website, so you can use your head measurement to help determine which size you should order.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
DH's explaination is exactly the same experience I have had with Sunbody hats.

In my experience, they don’t breath hardly at all (ventilation eyelets are available). I don’t wear either of mine much due to them being warm wearing.

The cloth sweatband shrinks 1% (according to SunBody) so I definitely would not order a size down. I’d order your normal size unless that size fits like a glove in which case I’d gone one size up.

I tried to reblock one after leaving it submerged in warm water for a couple of hours...no dice. They don’t have that kind of give in them. They do mold/form/shape very easy when wet, but forget about reblocking them.

These have been my experiences, others might have different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ