Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Is there/what is the difference in a Stetson 7X and a 7X CB?

Yep. CB denotes clear beaver and a hat Stetson made into the 60's. The 7X CB was in their line of western weights that started with the NO. 1. Quality designation at the lowest end up to the 100. The 7X CB was next in line under the 100 and sold for $50. They are fine hats. Stetson continued to make the 7X in western hats but bears no resemblance to the 7X CB.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I thought there might be a difference. Thanks, Greg, I always look to you as a reliable source of hat history.

Yep. CB denotes clear beaver and a hat Stetson made into the 60's. The 7X CB was in their line of western weights that started with the NO. 1. Quality designation at the lowest end up to the 100. The 7X CB was next in line under the 100 and sold for $50. They are fine hats. Stetson continued to make the 7X in western hats but bears no resemblance to the 7X CB.

Last edited:

tsores

Familiar Face
There aren't many stores in the Chicago area with large departments or dedicated to hats. There is Optima and Alcala's Western Wear. I recall there was a large store that sold nothing but hats a few years ago in a western or northwestern suburb but I can not find anything. Does anyone know of other stores in the Chicago area?

Thanks.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
There aren't many stores in the Chicago area with large departments or dedicated to hats. There is Optima and Alcala's Western Wear. I recall there was a large store that sold nothing but hats a few years ago in a western or northwestern suburb but I can not find anything. Does anyone know of other stores in the Chicago area?

Thanks.

There used to be Hats Plus on the NW side, but they closed their brick and mortar location last year:

http://nadignewspapers.com/2018/01/23/hats-store-to-sell-online-only/

They still sell hats but only online. Not sure if maybe this was the place you were thinking of or not.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Need a bit of help in regards to a new hat...

In the brown family, I own a chocolate and two different natural beaver hats. The manufacturers are Art Fawcett and Northwest Hats.

Now I find myself wearing a lot of brown colors and was thinking of picking up a Silverbelly. The more I am looking at hats, I am thinking perhaps Sand or Sahara would be a better choice. What would you consider the better color that might be more versatile, but also unique?

Need a bit of help in regards to a new hat...

In the brown family, I own a chocolate and two different natural beaver hats. The manufacturers are Art Fawcett and Northwest Hats.

Now I find myself wearing a lot of brown colors and was thinking of picking up a Silverbelly. The more I am looking at hats, I am thinking perhaps Sand or Sahara would be a better choice. What would you consider the better color that might be more versatile, but also unique?
I have a set of felt swatches from a number of different custom hatters. If you are a client they will mail you swatches in the colours you are interested in. You can't beat having the swatches side by side to compare.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I have a set of felt swatches from a number of different custom hatters. If you are a client they will mail you swatches in the colours you are interested in. You can't beat having the swatches side by side to compare.

I have one of those. The problem is, the small swatch doesn't really accurately show the hat so to speak. In fact, Natural beaver looks completely different when made into a hat compared to one of the small pieces.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
If you are near Portland I'm sure you could go by VS or Gannon and see some hat colors in person.

I have one of those. The problem is, the small swatch doesn't really accurately show the hat so to speak. In fact, Natural beaver looks completely different when made into a hat compared to one of the small pieces.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll go a step further and say it's hard to get a real, true idea of how a hat is really going to look before the felt has been pounced. The color changes, IMO, as you work the felt.

But you can get an idea... even with the swatches. I'm sure you could call up Mike at NW (Eugene, OR), Art at VS (Central Point, OR), Michael Gannon (Portland ,OR), or John Penman (Hillsboro, OR), and they'd be glad to show you actual felts right there in their shop. All of these are within driving distance, although Art is several hours south of Portland. I've been to see all of these fine gents except Michael Gannon as he doesn't have a showroom type shop and we couldn't get our schedules figured out.

What is the function of a sweatband bow?
At one time the ends of the sweatband weren't sewn together and that little silk ribbon was used to adjust the sweatband to give the wearer a slightly tighter or looser fit. Over the years hatters learned (for the most part) how to more accurately shape and size their sweatbands so that ribbon became unnecessary, but for whatever reason (most likely decades of tradition) the bow remained, as Fruno stated above, as a decorative item.

glider

A-List Customer
Looking for a reliable hat shop to cut down the brim on a western hat, maybe replace a sweatband on another hat. Simple stuff some of you do yourself. Be good to have a go to place. We have a very old hat shop here in St Louie but they no longer do any work and don't know of anyone that does in the area. Thanks in advance.

Chris W.

New in Town
Bailey Edsel Superior Fur Felt Fedora Hat
(see pics on Bailey's website)

Does anyone have this hat and can post pictures, plus review? I've been shopping for a fedora for a while and love the look of this hat but would love to see it one someone's head. Just so hard to tell what it truly looks like with just stock photos. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ