Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tsores

Familiar Face
I see there is a thread dedicated to Stetson Open Road hats. Then I see another thread dedicated to "The Other Open Roads..." Seems as though Open Road has become its own category of hat. If so, what defines an Open Road?

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see there is a thread dedicated to Stetson Open Road hats. Then I see another thread dedicated to "The Other Open Roads..." Seems as though Open Road has become its own category of hat. If so, what defines an Open Road?
The other open roads are hats with the same dimensions and trim as the Stetson, but made by other manufacturers. Thin ribbon and bound edge.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If so, what defines an Open Road?

Guess I could elaborate a bit. OR's are typically a western dress weight felt with a straight sided crown, usually with an OC height of 5 1/2"-5 3/4", with a height of around 4 1/2" at the dip and 5" at the side when creased in the typical cattleman. The brim ranges from 2 1/2" - 3" among the vintage OR's with 2 3/4" fairly common. The brim has a fairly shallow flange and at least in the vintage hats can be worn with the brim up or snapped down. There are quite a few variables in this hat especially on the vintage side with all the different grades available. This can become confusing as Stetson made hats of the same quality level, say a 25, with the same dimensions as a 25 OR yet only if labeled as such will it be considered an actual Open Road, at least so I've been told.

DRB

One Too Many
I am looking for another site that I might buy new Borsalino's from. Delmonico and Hollandhats are great but I want to explore more Borsalinos for sale. Maybe there are no other models available? Overseas ok. Long hairs, etc. I am not getting a sense that I am seeing all that Borsalino has to offer. If you know of a site that has more to offer, I would be most appreciative. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I am looking for another site that I might buy new Borsalino's from. Delmonico and Hollandhats are great but I want to explore more Borsalinos for sale. Maybe there are no other models available? Overseas ok. Long hairs, etc. I am not getting a sense that I am seeing all that Borsalino has to offer. If you know of a site that has more to offer, I would be most appreciative. Thanks guys!

http://www.bencrafthats.com/brands/borsalino/
https://www.cappelleriamelegari.com...th=379_100&sort=20a&filter_id=14#.XFZb-sSIa2c
https://shop.borsalino.com/en/mans-collection/autumwinter.html

Hi Dennis!
Bencraft Hatters of Brookline, NY is probably Borsa’s largest volume retailer worldwide, or close.

And Steven’s a mensch.

Dm101

A-List Customer
What's the proper way of punching ventilation holes in wool felt hats?

Im about to order another hat for the summer and I'd like to make it more breathable and less sweaty. Also removing the sweatband so it all goes into the hat for that "worn" look. Don't care for pretty...I'll keep the hat I wear now for when I need that.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

What's the proper way of punching ventilation holes in wool felt hats?

Im about to order another hat for the summer and I'd like to make it more breathable and less sweaty. Also removing the sweatband so it all goes into the hat for that "worn" look. Don't care for pretty...I'll keep the hat I wear now for when I need that.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

I'd use a .22. The higher calibers provide too much ventilation.

DRB

One Too Many
Do you miss the hills of Vermont?

I do miss the hills of The Green Mountain State. I prefer the warmth though. I took a break from Fedoras for several years when I moved to Florida. Sometimes it is too hot for Fedoras here. So, I am enjoying the cooler weather here and getting some nice hat time. Mostly, I miss my daughter and her kids who stayed up there. My son and his wife and child moved down here near me. Guess I'll just have to spoil the grandkids down here. I even stopped making fedoras when I moved south. I miss that too. I have a few hats that could benefits from some tooling. Thanks for asking (and remembering).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112