Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
freehandbash said:
Is there not someone(hat co.) that cannot see the money to be made by selling 10 to 20 hat bands per size to people like us?

FHB,
sorry you took my words so personal but the above reads to me like someone in between hobbiest and pro that is looking for the work to be done and the investment made in both time & money by someone else. Other parts also read that you are fairly certain there would be a market for what you are asking so, I'm simply suggesting that you make it happen and reap the rewards to be had. Jim at Singer Michaeli would be happy to talk to you but I don't know if he would reduce the minimum order for you but it's worth a try. In looking at it again, 10-20 of each size would burn up your minimum anyway so no worries. Minimum order is one gross or about $750 so it should be doable.

Please don't worry, I don't feel threatened easily Sir. So, in reading your posts I can't tell, are you a hatter or apprentice, or hobbiest?

freehandbash

New in Town
Just a Hobbiest that you much too impulsively read wrong. Must be a problem you've had to deal with rescently or often.[huh] If so, I understand.Anyone in buisness for themselves would. Sorry for my part of this small misunderstanding. You'll still some day sell me a hat right? lol
ps. As far as me thinking there would be a nich'e out there in hatdome that would want near original sweatbands, I was wrong. I'ts happened before.
I guess I'll just have to buy some hats off the Bay that I can get on the cheap where the hat body is shot but the sweat is in good shape and rob it.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I've never had one of those before, so I couldn't say.

But as far as the X Factor goes... Many hat companies, most notably Stetson, used to use X's to designate the quality of different hats, on basis of felt. For example, a 7X has better felt than a 3X hat. But the catch was that there was no industry standard for what the X's meant. Therefore, one company's 3X could be as good as another's 5X. See where that gets confusing? Old Stetsons with a 3X rating are also better than new Stetsons with 7X ratings. It's all relative. And mostly meaningless.

2manyhats

Familiar Face
fluteplayer07 said:
I've never had one of those before, so I couldn't say.

But as far as the X Factor goes... Many hat companies, most notably Stetson, used to use X's to designate the quality of different hats, on basis of felt. For example, a 7X has better felt than a 3X hat. But the catch was that there was no industry standard for what the X's meant. Therefore, one company's 3X could be as good as another's 5X. See where that gets confusing? Old Stetsons with a 3X rating are also better than new Stetsons with 7X ratings. It's all relative. And mostly meaningless.
Thanks, that is defiantly confusing. I just hope 3X is good in my case. lol

freehandbash

New in Town
Chainsaw was just pullin your leg. :D Flute on the otherhand hit the nail on the head of course.
I have 2 or three Towncrafts and they are VERY good hats. I forget which Major hat co. made these for Ole JCP (Lee or Knox?)but others on here could remind me and tell you I'm sure of that.
X's represent the amount of beaver,nutria,buffalo,etc. fur content I guess most, if not all the time.

2manyhats

Familiar Face
freehandbash said:
Chainsaw was just pullin your leg. :D Flute on the otherhand hit the nail on the head of course.
I have 2 or three Towncrafts and they are VERY good hats. I forget which Major hat co. made these for Ole JCP (Lee or Knox?)but others on here could remind me and tell you I'm sure of that.
X's represent the amount of beaver fur content I guess most, if not all the time.
Wow, thats great! I was starting to get worried. Thanks! :)

cptjeff

Practically Family
I've got one. Saw a straw western in my size at a thrift store today (as well as a XXXXX felt from the same guy- come across a fair number of the felts) and was wondering if it's at all possible to cut down a straw hat's brim. I'm guessing not due to how the brim would be woven, but I figured I would ask the experts.

2manyhats

Familiar Face
Does anyone know what shape this is considered?
Picture1.png

Picture2.png

freehandbash

New in Town
cptjeff said:
I've got one. Saw a straw western in my size at a thrift store today (as well as a XXXXX felt from the same guy- come across a fair number of the felts) and was wondering if it's at all possible to cut down a straw hat's brim. I'm guessing not due to how the brim would be woven, but I figured I would ask the experts.
Doing it yourself?simple answer -no.

cptjeff said:
I have had Sunbody hats cut down a straw but then bind the edge, only way I know to do it. HTH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner