Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

glazierman

New in Town
Hats in seattle

I'm visiting Seattle this weekend and am in the mood to shop for a vintage hat. Does anybody have a good recommendation as to where I can check out? I need to head back home tomorrow evening. Thanks

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
The most common methods are,

Leave the hat in a box for a time with crumpled newspaper or baking soda. Leave the hat outside for a time in the fresh air. Some combination of these over a period of days.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
glazierman said:
I'm visiting Seattle this weekend and am in the mood to shop for a vintage hat. Does anybody have a good recommendation as to where I can check out? I need to head back home tomorrow evening. Thanks

if you still have time
go here

MJ-fedora

New in Town
hi there! hoping to get a good answer on this one, i have a hat from Michael jackson´s HIStory tour 1997, a friend of mine catched it after Michael performed "billie jean". he then gave it to me, now the brim is wired and is ca 1 ½" in cm 3½cm the height of the crown is ca 4 ½" in cm 11cm. im hoping of somekind of answer if you now if these hats are still in the making or if it was just michaels fedoras wich where wired brims? i think you can say its a trilby with that short brim but, as i said im hoping of somekind of answer, cus i want one exactly like it so i can wear it, im sendin the best pic i can get over, since i dont have a camera my own. greetings from sweden
nF82o3bD2JrC63Q.jpg

singlechange

One of the Regulars
Anyone heard of A. Bishop & Co., Chicago? I'm looking at a bowler with Bishop label in it? Tried search engine here and google but so far no information turned up. Could be a no longer existing Chicago retail store 'm thinking also. Hoping someone here from Chicago knows or remembers.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Gray Straw Hat

I really need a gray straw hat. Right now, I'm getting by with two natural Panamas with black ribbons and a brown Milan from Miller Hats. Any suggestions?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
singlechange said:
Anyone heard of A. Bishop & Co., Chicago? I'm looking at a bowler with Bishop label in it? Tried search engine here and google but so far no information turned up. Could be a no longer existing Chicago retail store 'm thinking also. Hoping someone here from Chicago knows or remembers.
Tons of pay per view Chicago Tribune ads dating back to the 1870's and on to the 1920's at least.

kilgore26

New in Town
new to the lid game.

I have been looking around online for cap of this style but haven't found one. the ones that I find, either have a shorter bill. or, if they have the longer bill, the body of the cap is quite a bit smaller. If anyone knows the name of this particular style and/or where I could find one, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

tumblr_kw055dvTuK1qzu53bo1_400.jpg

atomicgil

New in Town
Mickey Cohen style fedora

I'm still new to the world of Fedoras, and my uncle asked me to find him a hat similar to the kind that Mickey Cohen would have worn, back in the day. He said it was a white Fedora, but a friend of mine said that it probably wasn't white and that it was more likely to be a cream, tan or light gray color. Any thoughts on this? And is there any particular brand or style of hat that I should look for? Thank you in advance for you help.
http://rope.wrko-am.fimc.net/bulger/12.13.05.mickeycohen.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
atomicgil said:
He said it was a white Fedora, but a friend of mine said that it probably wasn't white and that it was more likely to be a cream, tan or light gray color. Any thoughts on this?

Tan and light grey were much more common colors for hats than was white.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kilgore26 said:
I have been looking around online for cap of this style but haven't found one. the ones that I find, either have a shorter bill. or, if they have the longer bill, the body of the cap is quite a bit smaller. If anyone knows the name of this particular style and/or where I could find one, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

tumblr_kw055dvTuK1qzu53bo1_400.jpg
Is that Tom Waits?

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Towncraft fedoras?

I've never heard of them, but I picked up one up for buck!

I'l thinking early fifties... probably a department store line?

Thanks in advance!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Towncraft was the name of J. C. Penney's line of men's clothing. You may have a Penney's Towncraft Marathon. a very popular hat in the late '40s and early '50s. Go here for a thorough discussion.

inkyhands

New in Town
Lurker, new to posting-Need some help with an Akubra

Greetings: I've been lurking here for a long time, enjoying the postings. It is nice to find other folks who share my love of hats. I have been wearing them for some time, having started in my twenties(Alas, many years ago.)I currently am the proud owner of 4 hats. An old Biltmore, a slightly older Akubra Bushman that I bought from David Morgan when I lived up in Seattle, a generic panama that I also bought from David Morgan, and a fairly new Akubra Stylemaster. The Biltmore is black, the Bushman is Fawn, and the Stylemaster is mid-gray.

The help I am looking for with the Akubra is with the Bushman. Love the hat, but the brim is a tad too wide for my current tastes. Also, the crown is pretty beat up. So the question is-is there someone to whom I can send the hat who can reblock it(I think that is what I mean-the crown is kind of crumpled, I'd like to put a teardrop bash in it, but it ain't working for me.)and can cut down the brim? I'm enough of a fumble fingers that I am reluctant to try to do it myself. Also, any idea what these sorts of services would cost? While I enjoy wearing hats, I fear that I have to keep the costs down.
Thanks,
Inkyhands.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
For the hat you're talking about, it's proably not worth the price.

BTW, welcome to the Lounge, and thanks for using this thread for your question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran