Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mixture of furs.

WITH ALL THINGS CONSTANT, is a felt body made of 30% Beaver and 70% Mink superior, equal, or worse than a hat body that is 100% beaver? I believe that mink makes for a lighter body and adds intrinsic economic value to the felt body just because mink is considered a more valuable commodity, but there are other things to consider. I believe if we added cashmere to the mix, it would lower the quality. I am just guessing here and any help would be appreciated.

I know Beaver makes a better hat than rabbit WITH ALL THINGS CONSTANT. Beaver hats are thinner, lighter weight, more weather resistant and durable. They last longer, clean up better and hold their shape better. So, if we take some of the beaver out of a hat and put in mink are we lowering the quality, or just adding more softness?

The only mink-beaver mix hats I have seen advertised or perhaps on this forum (I can't remember which anymore), were long-hair hats. At that point my interested vanished. If there were such a mix in a non-longhair hat, I would be interested to see it myself.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The only mink-beaver mix hats I have seen advertised or perhaps on this forum (I can't remember which anymore), were long-hair hats. At that point my interested vanished. If there were such a mix in a non-longhair hat, I would be interested to see it myself.

Hatco sells Beaver/Mink Westerns-smooth finish. Some of the Optimo 1000's are Beaver/Mink blends. I preferred the feel of the 100% Beaver Silver Belly myself. All were smooth finishes(not long hair) and more resilient than most Mix or all-Beaver Hats--somewhat springy creasewise in a dry state so less easily formable--but capable of a very smooth finish and shape. The Silver Belly fur can be more expensive than mink as a hat fur. The longer thicker hairs may make a nice fur coat but are not the desirable ones for felting. Some hats have finishes that are fuzzy that may be called Mink, Angora, Cashmere, Beaver and not contain those furs.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mixture of furs.

WITH ALL THINGS CONSTANT, is a felt body made of 30% Beaver and 70% Mink superior, equal, or worse than a hat body that is 100% beaver? I believe that mink makes for a lighter body and adds intrinsic economic value to the felt body just because mink is considered a more valuable commodity, but there are other things to consider. I believe if we added cashmere to the mix, it would lower the quality. I am just guessing here and any help would be appreciated.

I know Beaver makes a better hat than rabbit WITH ALL THINGS CONSTANT. Beaver hats are thinner, lighter weight, more weather resistant and durable. They last longer, clean up better and hold their shape better. So, if we take some of the beaver out of a hat and put in mink are we lowering the quality, or just adding more softness?

Define Quality. Different furs have some differing characteristics. Beaver hats are not intrinsically thinner or lighter weight(in fact uncommon as ultra-lights). There is an irrational Beaver obsession here. Not all are spectacular and some non-Beaver are extraordinary. Species alone does not equal ultimate felt quality. Is all Beef(and all cuts) the same quality? Is it better than Lamb? Or Goatskin vs Horsehide leather. All suits the same fabric? Not an ideal comparison but shoes how non-specific Beaver quality can be.

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
RLK, I see your point and agree with what you said. But I am trying to get an understanding or grasp of this concept in general terms, hence the "with all things constant". I know that all beef is not the same quality. I also know that, on my farm, I had some breeds of sheep that had better grades of wool than others.

If I had a choice between eating a beef cow (Angus) versus a milk cow (Holstein), I would choose the Angus every time, "with all things constant".

I agree that I personally have not seen any beaver hats that were ultralites, but they could be made that way due to the interlocking hairs, right?

I don't believe that a 100% mink hat body would be as strong as a 100% beaver hat body. I believe that some degree, say 70% mink and 30% beaver would be a softer mix that would be able to stay strong with the interlocking beaver hairs. Keep in mind, I am no expert, and just reaching out for answers here......Dennis (P.S.) I sold the farm and now am a vegetarian. :)

el Mongoose

New in Town
If you've still got a lamp with an incandescent bulb, if you gently dampen the sweatband with just a touch of water and let it sit on the lampshade for a bit, it should start to shrink some. If you do a search for the lampshade trick, you'll be able to find more information.

I'm reading more about what you suggested. Thanks for the tip J.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Define Quality. Different furs have some differing characteristics. Beaver hats are not intrinsically thinner or lighter weight(in fact uncommon as ultra-lights).

I think that's what he meant by "with all things constant" - yes there are some rabbit hats that are better than beaver hats, but if you get a decent beaver hat and a decent rabbit hat, the beaver hat will be better.

I don't believe that a 100% mink hat body would be as strong as a 100% beaver hat body.

100% mink bodies don't and can't exist. Nor indeed can 70% mink bodies. Mink just doesn't felt well enough to be the major "ingredient" in a felt hat, let alone the sole "ingredient." That's why you typically only see felt hats with a little mink. It's not due to cost, it's just that the more mink you put in the mix, the harder it is to felt the body properly. Once you get up into the larger percentages of mink, it just isn't possible to make a hat out of it anymore. -M

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think that's what he meant by "with all things constant" - yes there are some rabbit hats that are better than beaver hats, but if you get a decent beaver hat and a decent rabbit hat, the beaver hat will be better.

100% mink bodies don't and can't exist. Nor indeed can 70% mink bodies. Mink just doesn't felt well enough to be the major "ingredient" in a felt hat, let alone the sole "ingredient." That's why you typically only see felt hats with a little mink. It's not due to cost, it's just that the more mink you put in the mix, the harder it is to felt the body properly. Once you get up into the larger percentages of mink, it just isn't possible to make a hat out of it anymore. -M

Is there any reason to pursue mink fur at all in a hat?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know where I could buy those foam rings you put around the crown of a hat to stack them? take a look at the pic. I have some but neew a few more!

DSC06691.jpg

Lloyd

A-List Customer
checking for a friend. Any good hat stores in Lexington or Louisville KY? He's not ready for custom yet so I'm trying to find a decent place to send him to

sulla

One of the Regulars
Would a Teardrop bash on a tall crown with a tight pinch be a bad idea? I love a tight pinch but I want to do a teardrop for my next hat bash too (An Akubra Moonstone Federation).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy