Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brigham-Hopkins

5352288497_c1b9619aa3_b.jpg
5352899584_0f5eab0da7_b.jpg

Alex

Practically Family
No problem. Information retrieval is one of my leisure activities. I'm now absolutely certain now that your hat is from the Brigham-Hopkins company, probably sold under the Men's Hats, Inc. Notice that the shield held by the two creatures in the logo depicts the letters H and B, one imposed on the other.
Since that business closed in 1964, I'm sure it's pre-60's or early 60's. I don't know enough about hats after that to make a better guess. It's an awesome straw with a snazzy pug, though!

Cool thanks man. Now I know who to ask when I need some good info:p

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Can a 7 1/4 be stretched to a 7 3/8 (fur felt).
TIA

Yes it can, although it will necessarily increase the taper a bit. Also, be careful about the sweatband, it needs to be in good condition to stretch without cracking.

I have done it a couple times.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Can a hat with a Cavanaugh edge be stretched? I've got a 6 7/8 Stetson mode edge "Golden Century" that is a bit too small for my size 7 head. I know that the bodies with the Cavanaugh edge were made specific to the size of the blocked hat.....

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Any sort of bound edge will not affect the hat's ability to be stretched directly, but a finished edge will react differently when the hat is either stretched or re-ovaled (adjusted for ovalness?), for lack of a better term. If the hat is stretched, the snap of the brim will become slightly more pronounced.

T Rick

Practically Family
I saw a hat with a bow on the back, not on the side. Is it just uncommon, or is just plain wrong?
Back bows were a style being done at one point, I've looked at several on the 'Bay and come near to bidding on some.

ETA: Okay, more than one point ;).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner