Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You can't delete the thread if anyone has posted in it, you can only edit your post. PM any posters, ask them to delete, and then you can delete the thread.

Ralphin Ormond

New in Town
Amatuer Questions

I'm just getting my fedora act together and have these questions: (1) Is there a special name for the crease that appears on some hat brims? Does it result from hat design, material, too much snapping up and down or what? Would you return a hat if it arrived brand new with one? (I'm not going to but I don't want to have another hat arrive that way.) (2) I know from experience that hats shrink with age but what is the specific agent? (heat, humidity...?) (3) I've never seen a navy blue fedora, are they so dark as to look normal, maybe with a black ribbon, or are they weird looking? (4) I try never to underestimate the bugginess of Florida. Would it be wise to throw a couple moth balls in the box for Summer, is there a better idea, is nothing the best idea? My sincere thanks for your advice. Ralph

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
1) Depends on the crease, some times, I might.
2) Yes
3) yes,maybe,not at all.
4) They work. I've tried cedar chips, Lavender, rosemary and circulating air. I now quarantine new (to me) purchases with moth balls for a period to make sure the nits are dead.
5) Relax a little. Plenty of threads and plenty of time.
Tom D.

AlanD

Familiar Face
How do I post pictures in a thread? I have done so in the past with photobucket, but when I try now, my pictures do not show. All I get, is the little boxes with the x's in them and they won't open.

Last edited:

Lloyd

A-List Customer
just copy the image code from photobucket and paste it into your message

but the code looks like LEFT SQUARE BRACKET IMG RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET url for image LEFT SQUARE BRACKET /IMG RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are several things you could be doing wrong:

(1.) If you are copying the URL at the top of the page on Photobucket, rather than the image code given to the right of the desired picture, the link won't be recognized. You will get the white box with red "x" that you describe.

(2.)When clicking on the "Add Picture" icon, if you don't delete the highlighted "html://" and then enter your pic's URL, you will get the white box with red "x" that you describe.

The easiest way, I've found, is to format your post like this:

Altenativley, lower case seems to work as well:

electro481

New in Town
Is there some thread that I can look at that will tell me the best color hat to where with certain color suits? Could Someone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sulla

One of the Regulars
I have been thinking about re-bashing an Akubra Federation IV Deluxe (the one I am wearing in my avatar pic.) It came open crown and I put a simple center dent and tight front pinch in it. It's been bashed like that for a few years now and I'd like to put a teardrop bash into it. I've never re-bashed a hat before, I am not going to damage the lid am I?

billyspew

One Too Many
I have been thinking about re-bashing an Akubra Federation IV Deluxe (the one I am wearing in my avatar pic.) It came open crown and I put a simple center dent and tight front pinch in it. It's been bashed like that for a few years now and I'd like to put a teardrop bash into it. I've never re-bashed a hat before, I am not going to damage the lid am I?

No it'll be fine, steam it or spray with distilled water and it be fine!

Sulla,

My wife sat on my Fed IV in the Boston airport, when she jumped away from a mouse, squashed it good (the hat, not the mouse). It popped out right away, on arriving home, I squirted it and reshaped it.

Those hats are made for abuse, so bash away!

Anybody found a way to tackle verdigris staining from a reed coupler? I have one pretty severe case on an otherwise nice Dobbs panama, with some migration of the stain onto the straw.

thanks!
Alan

buler

I'll Lock Up
Anybody found a way to tackle verdigris staining from a reed coupler? I have one pretty severe case on an otherwise nice Dobbs panama, with some migration of the stain onto the straw.

thanks!
Alan

Great question Alan. I was just "fixing" this yesterday on a hat. Usually you have some degree of a clump of the stuff that is somewhat malleable or near solid. I like to use a pick tool to pick/pry most of the clumped stuff out of the area. I always have a white t-shirt/rag between the green and the felt so that I'm not pressing the gunk against the felt. Once I've picked all I can away, then I usually use a dampened t-shirt to press/squeeze the rest of it off. I try not to actually rub or wipe for fear of working it into the adjoining felt. Most of the time I can get rid of almost all of it with this technique. I'd like to hear others ideas on neutralizing the process from happening any further.

B

rlk

I'll Lock Up
lacquer with a small brush would be the way to stabilize it from oxidation once clean. Brasso or copper cleaner would work but you wouldn't want it to soak into the felt(or straw). An acid such as white vinegar should be safer to try to get it off the surrounding felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran