Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Has anyone ordered a hat from Bencraft online? I received an email on the 26th, stating that my order would be shipped on the 27th, but all USPS updates is "Electronic Shipping Info Received."

They shipped it using Express Mail, so I know tracking is supposed to be available, and not just Delivery Confirmation. Is my hat not shipped yet, or is USPS screwing up?

Bencraft was actually pretty helpful, especially the guy who processes the orders (Chris, I think), so I would call them to clarify, but they don't open on Saturdays, and I'm not sure if they're open on Memorial Day.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My new panama is rough on the inside top. Are they all that way? It pokes my balding head! ;-)
If you examine the "rough" part closely, you will see that this is where the additional pieces of the straw were introduced to keep weaving. This is common on ALL spirally woven straw items from baskets to hats. These are handmade items and not cut from a "sheet" of smooth material and formed to shape. All my Montecristi's are in the 500+WPI range and exhibit these "rough" ends though I have seen smoother interiors in three of the $1,000.00 + Montecristi's I have been fortunate to handle.
BTW, I to am folicley challenged and DO NOT feel ANYTHING sticking my head when I wear my Panama's whether Cuenca Brisa weave or Super Fino Montecristi. How far down on your head do you wear your hats? Mine don't touch the top at all unless I push 'em down hard :)

email68

One of the Regulars
It's a little big with a short crown. So it probably sits lower than it should.

Tim

If you examine the "rough" part closely, you will see that this is where the additional pieces of the straw were introduced to keep weaving. This is common on ALL spirally woven straw items from baskets to hats. These are handmade items and not cut from a "sheet" of smooth material and formed to shape. All my Montecristi's are in the 500+WPI range and exhibit these "rough" ends though I have seen smoother interiors in three of the $1,000.00 + Montecristi's I have been fortunate to handle.
BTW, I to am folicley challenged and DO NOT feel ANYTHING sticking my head when I wear my Panama's whether Cuenca Brisa weave or Super Fino Montecristi. How far down on your head do you wear your hats? Mine don't touch the top at all unless I push 'em down hard :)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Do vintage boaters shrink? If so how much roughly, would a 7 3/8 then fit a 7 3/8 now?
The Sennett Straw Boaters are quite stable--and many have floating sweatbands. The question really applies to the sweatband only which behaves like any other-shrinking when it looses moisture. Some will be same as new and others shrink drastically. A replacement band can generally restore original sizing but you can't stretch the hat body at all.

GamaH

A-List Customer
I can't wait to see how my new hats fit.

Is it normal to rotate between 2 different hat sizes, due to shape of hats etc?

E.g.; You wear both size 7 1/2 and 7 1/4 (different hats of course, not 2 of the same).

Last edited:

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Looking again at buying another hat but this time in Grey. I've decided to stick with the Christy stable as I haven't been let down yet by them. Current hats, Brown Epsom Fedora and Superfine Brisa Panama.

The Chepstow range trilby has any one any experience with the general quality?

Another question how does a trilby differ from a fedora? Or are they the same like lounge jacket/sport jacket.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I can't wait to see how my new hats fit.

Is it normal to rotate between 2 different hat sizes, due to shape of hats etc?

E.g.; You wear both size 7 1/2 and 7 1/4 (different hats of course, not 2 of the same).

Different makes, different ages, and different exposure to conditions all affect size. I'm comfortable in a 7 1/2 or 7 5/8, but will also force my head into a nice, slightly over sized 7 3/8 and pad a 7 3/4 long oval. Of course, some are far more demanding as to a perfect fit. For me, if it's up there, then all is well with the world.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
I thought about starting a new thread, then realised it would probably be moved here so decided to save the bartender some work ;)

I have a nice little trilby (well, I think it's nice) that may have a little age to it and it has probably shrunk a little.
I have seen a few hat stretchers on the bay (all on the other side of the pond :rolleyes: :D).
Are there some better than others? Is it a tool worth getting, or should I just bring it to one of London's milliner who would do it properly (and probably for an extortionate amount of money :lol: )?

sulla

One of the Regulars
How do I get this annoying divot out of the brim of my Panama?

arrow.png

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I thought about starting a new thread, then realised it would probably be moved here so decided to save the bartender some work ;)

I have a nice little trilby (well, I think it's nice) that may have a little age to it and it has probably shrunk a little.
I have seen a few hat stretchers on the bay (all on the other side of the pond :rolleyes: :D).
Are there some better than others? Is it a tool worth getting, or should I just bring it to one of London's milliner who would do it properly (and probably for an extortionate amount of money :lol: )?

Different people prefer different stretchers. Here's a modern example of the basic stretcher. Here's the common vintage type - very similar to the modern one, though many vintage examples have hat size and/or measurements along the side bars. If you plan on having a lot of hats you might also consider something like this which will allow you to stretch the entire hat, not just the sweatband area, and won't leave a stretcher mark in the hat if you should get a little too enthusiastic with your stretching. I have one stretcher, as I'm not a fan of stretching, and it's of the vintage, basic variety.

I know it's possible to stretch a felt hat, but what about a straw hat with a leather sweat band?

You're mainly stretching the sweat, so yes, you can stretch a straw. However, felt hats tend to keep their shape pretty well when you stretch them, while your straw's brim will likely develop the dreaded wave. See the Panama Canal for many examples of this. -On the chance that you're talking about a boater, don't do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24