Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T Rick

Practically Family
Where can I buy Lexol conditioner for the sweatband in my Stratoliner? Do I have to order it online, or do some types of local stores carry it (and what type??). Thanks in advance!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Where can I buy Lexol conditioner for the sweatband in my Stratoliner? Do I have to order it online, or do some types of local stores carry it (and what type??). Thanks in advance!

auto parts stores will sometimes have it with their car care products

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks guys. David, I did find it at Amazon, but thought it might be better to try locally if available. I buy a LOT of things online, but once in a while, I do better with the local places. Case in point, picked up some old fashioned pomade recently- found the can online for around $3, with shipping at about four bucks IIRC. Went to the local barber supply, found the item for $2 and change. Hoping the Lexol situation is similar, if not, I will order from Amazon. I'll call around to see if anyone has it here tomorrow.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
OK so I found a pork pie that looks alright in a color and size I could get used to. Only thing is I noticed it was made of Dynafelt. Now I've always worn originals or a fur beaver brand and bailey that I really don't wear anymore... In other words I have no experience with this type of felt. If I'm right, it's a wool/fur felt mix?

Anyone have any experience or advice?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Does this work, or do I just look nerdy? I have to wear glasses now, but I don't want it to really discourage me from wearing a hat with it. This hat, a vintage Stetson, is my favorite one, so I'm trying this on for the photo:

Photoon2011-07-16at2314.jpg

I wouldn't generally be wearing a polo shirt with it either, this is just a demonstration.

The glasses are relatively thin and half-frameless with clear silver coloring on the front, and burgundy/brown coloring on the two back "handles." I'm not too familiar with glasses anatomy. On the plus side, they at least make my sideburns more noticeable, and in the outdoors, turn into sunglasses because the lenses get darker. Maybe it's not so bad after all...

Last edited:

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
Doesn't look nerdy to me, good hat too.

Glasses do change one's look and self-perception, but you'll get used to them in no time. And they look quite discrete, too.

In any case, certainly not a good reason to change the way you dress or the hats you wear :)

fmw

One Too Many
Being able to see clearly is worth whatever it takes. I've had to wear glasses for the past 30 years. Getting out a magnifying glass every time I wanted to read something got old very quickly. Nice hat, by the way.

T Rick

Practically Family
Good, I think they are fine, though a couple more shots from multiple angles may give us a better idea. I note how different sunglasses I have affect my look with hats, and have found that different ones are better with different hats. I'm starting to get some different pairs of reading glasses now that I need them, but really haven't worried about how they look with my hats. As FMW said above, seeing well is what matters!

Prescription glasses aren't cheap, so a variety isn't always possible, but over time, you may build a collection of sorts, preferring certain types with certain hats. I think you've chosen a very versatile pair for these, the frameless tends not to overpower, and the lens size/shape seems a good match with your face. BTW, those "handles" on the glasses are called temples ;). And great looking Stetson!

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Could any of you point me in the right direction of a plastic brim flage or brim shaper?
Found some for cowboy hats but none for fedoras. These would be a great product fo us novices that want that perfect shaped brim but can't seem to get the right curl to it.
Thanks!

garryowen

New in Town
This is my first post here.
I discovered this forum while researching a hat I came across with some Stetson logos.
I am not sure about the authenticity, style or period.
Is there a specific section or thread for this?

Welcome, garryowen, named after the marching tune for General Custer?
The thread you're looking for is probably "Dating Stetsons by Liner".http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?32679-Dating-Vintage-Stetsons-by-Liner-A-Field-Guide

garryowen

New in Town
Thank you.

hatophile:
Yes; and the nickname of the 7th Cavalry Regiment.
I have already been looking at that thread, but I was unable to find any answers.

Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats