Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BowlofRice

New in Town
Hi, I want this hat, called the "New Yorker", for my birthday this October; I want it in brown. But before I ask my parents to get it for me, I want to know, is it ok for a 1930's to 1940's impression? I think it is, but I'm no professional on fedoras, I'm only a pro on East German military hats. So, any help is appreciated. Thanks! Here's a link to the hat on zootsuitstore.com.

http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shopping/Catalog/product_detail.asp?ProductCode=HDP526

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi, I want this hat, called the "New Yorker", for my birthday this October; I want it in brown. But before I ask my parents to get it for me, I want to know, is it ok for a 1930's to 1940's impression? I think it is, but I'm no professional on fedoras, I'm only a pro on East German military hats. So, any help is appreciated. Thanks! Here's a link to the hat on zootsuitstore.com.

http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shopping/Catalog/product_detail.asp?ProductCode=HDP526

i would put it at a very good copy of the typical fedora of the '60s really.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I want to add some curl to the back brim of a Milan I have. Can I just wet the brim and the use some type of form of the desired shape, secure the brim to the form and let it dry or do I need to apply some type of stiffener?
Thanks Wojo

Your method should work fine without any need for stiffener.

It's a low quality hat (if you want something good, you don't want wool), and I agree that it doesn't look very much like a 30s or 40s hat.

BowlofRice

New in Town
It's a low quality hat (if you want something good, you don't want wool), and I agree that it doesn't look very much like a 30s or 40s hat.

Thanks a lot! Now I'll consider something else. But I find my gray wool fedora, which I got on sale at Sears at $12.66, where its original price was $40, works great in cold weather. But in spring and summer, it is a bad idea to wear. That's why I'm looking for a fedora in another material that's less thick. But I don't want something that's too expensive. Also, from the same site I have two more hats I'd like to show everyone, the "Clipper", "Gangster Fedora", and "Jump Jive Bop", are THESE good 1930s-40s style hats?
http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shopping/Catalog/product_detail.asp?ProductCode=HDP502
http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shopping/Catalog/product_detail.asp?ProductCode=HCH1550
http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shopping/Catalog/product_detail.asp?ProductCode=HB3482

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Also, from the same site I have two more hats I'd like to show everyone, the "Clipper", "Gangster Fedora", and "Jump Jive Bop", are THESE good 1930s-40s style hats?

Well, wool hats are hard to describe as good. Those look nicer than some I have seen, but you are better off scouring ebay for a vintage hat*, or saving up to buy something like and Akubra Federation. A fur felt hat will, although more pricey, give you more bang for your buck.

*depending on your size, you could definitely find hats of much higher quality at a lower price than those wool felt costume hats if you are patient.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks a lot! Now I'll consider something else. But I find my gray wool fedora, which I got on sale at Sears at $12.66, where its original price was $40, works great in cold weather. But in spring and summer, it is a bad idea to wear. That's why I'm looking for a fedora in another material that's less thick. But I don't want something that's too expensive. Also, from the same site I have two more hats I'd like to show everyone, the "Clipper", "Gangster Fedora", and "Jump Jive Bop", are THESE good 1930s-40s style hats?

By the time you have bought two or more of those wool felt hats after they shrink and get mishappen from wear in the rain and weather you could have bought a GOOD Akubra, Stetson, Bailey etc FUR felt hat which would last your whole life !! Keep looking at some of the other hat retailers here on the web and I'm sure you can find a good FUR felt hat in the style you want for at or under$150.00 total. If you are restricted as to price, then a vintage hat off of one of the many "auction" sites might be the way to go. If it was me, I'd save up my $s till I could afford a FUR felt hat JMHO after wearing hats for over 50 years. :)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

There are several adds for Panama and Bangkok hats in an online version of American Hatter (on another thread). The adds are for both Panama AND Bangkok hats. I've seen Panama hats here, what exactly is a Bangkok hat? I looked it up with Google and have several ideas. One seems to be a light "boss of the plains" style, but with a floppy brim probably for women. The other looks like a Panama hat, but made out of a different material. Anybody actually know? I don't HAVE to know, no purchase in mind.

Thanks

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Hi

There are several adds for Panama and Bangkok hats in an online version of American Hatter (on another thread). The adds are for both Panama AND Bangkok hats. I've seen Panama hats here, what exactly is a Bangkok hat? I looked it up with Google and have several ideas. One seems to be a light "boss of the plains" style, but with a floppy brim probably for women. The other looks like a Panama hat, but made out of a different material. Anybody actually know? I don't HAVE to know, no purchase in mind.

Does this help?

http://www.sinamay.net/hats.htm

BowlofRice

New in Town
By the time you have bought two or more of those wool felt hats after they shrink and get mishappen from wear in the rain and weather you could have bought a GOOD Akubra, Stetson, Bailey etc FUR felt hat

I own a Bailey's pork pie, but it's one size too small. We were staying in Niagara Falls for a few nights, then we went shopping in Buffalo, NY. It was from A.J. Wright's, for $15, but my mom wouldn't let me buy it. But I really wanted it, so the next day my parents went back to Buffalo and bought it for me. I was really thankful, but they got it in 58, instead of size 59 (actually I'm a size 60, but 59 works too). The store also closed down before I could return it...So now I am stuck with an awesome hat that I can't wear. I wonder if it's worth anything if I sold it? It's still in excellent condition. Also, I don't want to pay above $60-$70 for a hat. If I had $150 I would rather buy a full East German uniform, I collect those too asides from clothes that make me look like I'm from the 30s...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own a Bailey's pork pie, but it's one size too small. We were staying in Niagara Falls for a few nights, then we went shopping in Buffalo, NY. It was from A.J. Wright's, for $15, but my mom wouldn't let me buy it. But I really wanted it, so the next day my parents went back to Buffalo and bought it for me. I was really thankful, but they got it in 58, instead of size 59 (actually I'm a size 60, but 59 works too). The store also closed down before I could return it...So now I am stuck with an awesome hat that I can't wear. I wonder if it's worth anything if I sold it? It's still in excellent condition. Also, I don't want to pay above $60-$70 for a hat. If I had $150 I would rather buy a full East German uniform, I collect those too asides from clothes that make me look like I'm from the 30s...

In Buffalo, you could've stopped by Gary White, the Custom Hatter (website of same name). There is also Dave Brown in Rochester, another custom hatter.

fabric quality of liner on custom hats?

The only contemporary liner that I have handled is one installed by Optimo in a renovation, which I removed. I didn't study it closely but it felt in the hand to be a heavyweight synthetic satin.

Are any of the modern hatmakers offering a silk or rayon fabric liner with the character that one might find in a quality vintage hat?

thanks!
Alan

Last edited:

NMSky

New in Town
I have a hat I was wondering is anyone can tell me something about it or what the value might be. It made by Mac Lachlan, size blocked 7-1/2, feather is still attached chocolate brown and I have the original box with the hat ring to keep it in place. In great condition. I can send a picture if you need to see it.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's a desirable size and maker (the feather does nothing for value). If there is a specific model name or quality designation embossed on the sweatband, that might increase value. Condition is also a large part of value, as is the day's mood on ebay. If you're looking to sell it, put it on ebay with a starting price that you feel comfortable with, and hope for even more.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Are any of the modern hatmakers offering a silk or rayon fabric liner with the character that one might find in a quality vintage hat?

I've never handled one, but everything about the AB Deluxe seems to be top-notch.

From the site:
Next station on our travel: the snow white Adventurebilt liner. Made of high end satin. Even here differences in quality and craftmanship can be found. Usually viskosisatin is used. However we chose to use the much smoother bridal satin. This satin has the advantage of looking and feeling like silk but being way more resistant to sweat and dust. In other words: classic and at the same time just plain gorgeous.

The felt on the "wedding" hat in the gallery is still some of the best looking stuff I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Terry292

New in Town
Sigmund Eisner Campaign Hat help

Good evening, gentlemen and ladies. I'm new to this forum and will introduce myself properly elsewhere in due course. However, the main reason I joined this particular forum was to get a question answered immediately. I need a hat band for a Sigmund Eisner official Boy Scout campaign hat. I just picked it up yesterday in a local antiques store. It's in need of a good cleaning and blocking, but otherwise is in pretty good shape for its age. My immediate concern, however, is to get an appropriate band for it. If any of you can help in my search for a band for this hat, I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks.

appa69

New in Town
New question. What's the best method for posting pictures to the forum via iPhone? I host my images with picasa, but I'm having a hard time because I can't get a reference link. Any one having success with another mobile hosting site?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy