Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kabel

Familiar Face
I've been doubting if I should purchase a hat for some time now (with all the craze surrounding it), but I'm now considering it. So a few questions I have concerning hats.
Is there any proper guide in what type of hat fits certain facial shapes. I would say my face is pretty rectangular and on the long side and an English pale complexion.
Also, I do rarely (I like them) where pleated pants (my girl doesn't really like them :( ), but mostly jeans with a general workingmans feel to it.
So what type(s) of hat would go with that? Does a hat go with that at all? I've been contemplating a panel cap, but I'm also keeping my eye on hats with a rim.

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been doubting if I should purchase a hat for some time now (with all the craze surrounding it), but I'm now considering it. So a few questions I have concerning hats.
Is there any proper guide in what type of hat fits certain facial shapes. I would say my face is pretty rectangular and on the long side and an English pale complexion.
Also, I do rarely (I like them) where pleated pants (my girl doesn't really like them :( ), but mostly jeans with a general workingmans feel to it.
So what type(s) of hat would go with that? Does a hat go with that at all? I've been contemplating a panel cap, but I'm also keeping my eye on hats with a rim.

Go to the website "The Art of Manliness."

There is an article there that has been referenced here once in a while that is a good place to start. It's humorously entitled "The Perfect Hat for Your Ugly Mug."

Check it out, and see if it helps.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
You aren't likely to find people here with personal experience with this hat. Generally this group doesn't care for or buy wool felt hats. The problem is that they shrink if they get wet so they don't normally last very long. You might look for a fur felt pork pie on Ebay. Generally, the stingy brims are pretty inexpensive. The pork pie you see on my head below is a vintage Resistol of high quality that I bought on Ebay for less than $20.

I'll second this.

You can get some great deals on eBay. I've gotten three vintage Resistols all under $20, two felt and one Milan. Better quality than a modern wool felt hat for sure, and the unbeatable "cool factor" of having a real vintage hat.

BigDog

New in Town
Ok I've been thinking ( which is not always a good thing). I have an big melon for a head ( 8 ) and would love to have a vintage hat. How small of a size could I get to stretch to a size 8 without damaging the hat.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
I usually feel that 2 sizes is the max to upsize a hat, and that depends on how much brim you start with. I'd also recommend that you have any such upsizing done by a professional. I've had hats resized by both Optimo and VS and had very good results.

fmw

One Too Many
I usually feel that 2 sizes is the max to upsize a hat, and that depends on how much brim you start with. I'd also recommend that you have any such upsizing done by a professional. I've had hats resized by both Optimo and VS and had very good results.

Good advice. It is a matter of more than stretching. The hat should be completely re-blocked when changing sizes. Otherwise you end up with undesired taper or other problems. The process normally requires installation of a new sweat band as well. Let a pro do it. Optimo is excellent but a bit pricey. I've used les expensive Henry the Hatter several times with great results. Both of these hatters work very quickly. Your hat will be back in your hands within a week.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
This one's about the message board itself and not about hats. Is there a reason I can't upload pictures anymore? The FAQ seems to indicate that when I click "+ Reply to Thread" I should be able to see a button labeled "Manage Attachments". I see no such button. All I'm getting is the "Quick Reply" window. Even when I click "Go Advanced" I see no "Manage Attachments" button.

Have my uploading privileges been revoked because it's been so long since I've posted?

Nobody can upload photos directly. You must post to a hosting site like Photobucket.com then use IMG tags to reference them. HTH

From FAQ = To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

frussell

One Too Many
BigDog - also keep in mind that when many professionals "upsize" a hat, they may actually have to take in some of the brim width to accomodate the newly needed crown acreage. I've had several stretched up 1 or two sizes, but the more stretching needed, the less brim I ended up with. Frank

Van De Laak

New in Town
Nice hat. But the problem is that most if not all sellers (of these genuine vintage hats) don't ship outside the US, furthermore IF they do, most of the time the hats are too small for me. (7 5/8)

Van De Laak

New in Town
You aren't likely to find people here with personal experience with this hat. Generally this group doesn't care for or buy wool felt hats. The problem is that they shrink if they get wet so they don't normally last very long. You might look for a fur felt pork pie on Ebay. Generally, the stingy brims are pretty inexpensive. The pork pie you see on my head below is a vintage Resistol of high quality that I bought on Ebay for less than $20.

porkpie.jpg

Nice hat. But the problem is that most if not all sellers (of these genuine vintage hats) don't ship outside the US, furthermore IF they do, they charge unnecessary high shipping fees and most of the time the hats are too small for me. (7 5/8) :(

fmw

One Too Many
Just a suggestion. I thought perhaps you had an on line auction site in your country.

jinenjo

New in Town
Buckled Sweatband

Hello Gents,

My Biltmore got soaked in the rain and shrunk a bit, causing the sweatband to buckle. I took it to the Hat Guys in Oakland, near where I live and they stretched the crown, but the band remains the same. I did a search here and found a little advice as far as remedies go, but I was wondering if it would work if I turned the band outward and tried stretching the leather by hand, perhaps with a little conditioner worked in.

Any thoughts on this or otherwise? Many thanks.

LB

BigDog

New in Town
Ok, next question. If I find a vintage hat to upsize and have it reblocked , new sweatband, and put in a new liner, is it still consider vintage. The only thing left would be the vintage felt. Would it be worthwhile or should I stick to new customs?

fmw

One Too Many
You talk as though you view "vintageness" as a key benefit to a hat. The reason people here like vintage hats is that they are made from what they describe as better felt (not so sure about that) and because the old hats were styled differently with straight sides and taller crowns. If you want to buy a vintage hat, you should buy it because you like it, not because it is "vintage."

There are a few members here who collect hats and value originality. I think most members here just buy what they like. I assume you are in the latter category.

Why buy a hat to upsize? Wouldn't it make more sense to buy one that fits?

Would it be worthwhile? Only you can answer that. Only you knows what you like.

Ok, next question. If I find a vintage hat to upsize and have it reblocked , new sweatband, and put in a new liner, is it still consider vintage. The only thing left would be the vintage felt. Would it be worthwhile or should I stick to new customs?

Vintage is on the noggin of the wearer. Vintage felt is just that. A pristine vintage hat is all the components in mint, original condition. I have a few of both. Vintage felt was "aged" before being made into a hat. Something modern production cannot withstand = too much cash tied up for too long. Felt bodies used to be left for over a year to continue "felting", then finished into a hat. This process gave those hats a head start to reaching "dead" felt condition. Starting with a good vintage body for a restoration is desirable among some of us because the end result is so nice & not the cost of a bespoke custom, most of the time.

jcmjrt

New in Town
I just got a 70's Borsalino and the felt is so soft that it just won't hold a shape. I tried steaming and trying to get it to set into a shape but the felt is still too soft. I've seen that there's a thing called stiffener- Scout makes some as do others. Is this the answer? I don't want to end up with a board, I just want it to hold a basic bash/shape.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I just got a 70's Borsalino and the felt is so soft that it just won't hold a shape. I tried steaming and trying to get it to set into a shape but the felt is still too soft. I've seen that there's a thing called stiffener- Scout makes some as do others. Is this the answer? I don't want to end up with a board, I just want it to hold a basic bash/shape.

You might want to try a spray bottle with clean water first.

jcmjrt

New in Town
You might want to try a spray bottle with clean water first.

I'm new at hats and working with them so...are you thinking that water might activate a stiffener already in the hat which steam didn't activate? I had heard that you needed steam but as I said, there's a lot that I don't know yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran