Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I've decided to try wearing a hat, and am looking about for my first. Are there any general guidelines for choosing a hat style to compliment one's personal style and physique? I am drawn to porkpies, but I'm not sure if I can pull one off well.

Alan I would be more than willing to meet up with you at DelMonico's in New Haven and introduce you to Mr. DelMonico. They have a lot of hats and sizes.

Jeff

Magister

Familiar Face
Alan I would be more than willing to meet up with you at DelMonico's in New Haven and introduce you to Mr. DelMonico. They have a lot of hats and sizes.

Jeff

I may take you up on that at some point. I work in Hamden, so I'm in the area most weekdays.

Yes, it is a long commute.:eeek:

riders60

New in Town
German hat origin

I bought this really nice German velour mountain hat and tried to find out something about the maker but found nothing. I collect hats and this is from Germany, a green mountain alps Bavarian type hat...inside is "1873 Hoffrichter" (in the center), "Eshker Rockel Velour" on a tag inside hat as well. Has anyone ever heard of this hat maker. I would like to put the info with the hat in my collection of European hats.
Thank you
Lisa

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
For me, the flatter the cap, the more good looking varieties are out there. The Borsalino Doria is a very nice looking flat cap. With a little more body, I think it's tough to beat Lofgren. (See the cap faction thread for examples of both.) If you're looking for one of those really full bodied caps, I don't think I've seen one yet that looks right - whatever that is.

kiakayak

New in Town
Help- new here. Have a vintage Stetson and need a clue as to how vintage. I do some selling on ebay and have sold some vintage Stetson and other hats, so am slowly gaining knowledge about vintage hats. This hat appears to have been made without a liner, and looks really really old. I'd describe it as a wide (3.5") brim rancher or western hat. Anyway, what is the appropriate forum and/or thread to post some pics? Thanks for your help. Kia

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
May've found a western

I was in an antique store today, and they had a Stetson 5X in my size and a color I liked. However, it had 5-6 moth eaten places, one was pretty deep, but all were on the underside of the brim, almost directly in the back of the hat, and there seemed to be no other problems. My questions are: what, if anything can be done about the moth holes, what would a hat like that be worth, and how hard is it to put a hand bash in it? It had a $40 tag on it, but I think I could get it cheaper. I'm not sure of it's vintage, but it wasn't extremely new, I don't think. Thanks in advance for your help.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
What size are you? You can find smaller westerns of that quality without moth problems in the same price range on ebay.

The shallow bites can probably be sanded out, but you'll be stuck with the deeper one. (Filling them works passably well, but you can almost always see the repair.)

You can change the crease easily with steam.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
What size are you? You can find smaller westerns of that quality without moth problems in the same price range on ebay.

The shallow bites can probably be sanded out, but you'll be stuck with the deeper one. (Filling them works passably well, but you can almost always see the repair.)

You can change the crease easily with steam.
I asked Art and Gary White and the both said nothing permanent can be done for moth damage. Gary told me that he has a temporary fix if its needed for a movie but that it wouldn't last.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I was in an antique store today, and they had a Stetson 5X in my size and a color I liked. However, it had 5-6 moth eaten places, one was pretty deep, but all were on the underside of the brim, almost directly in the back of the hat, and there seemed to be no other problems. My questions are: what, if anything can be done about the moth holes, what would a hat like that be worth, and how hard is it to put a hand bash in it? It had a $40 tag on it, but I think I could get it cheaper. I'm not sure of it's vintage, but it wasn't extremely new, I don't think. Thanks in advance for your help.

Stetson 5x western hats are almost the proverbial "dime a dozen" in the second hand stores down here. With the moth damage you've described I, personally would pay no more than $5.00 for such a hat. The crease can be changed with steam so that's no big deal, but moth holes really can't be fixed well and unless there were something special about the provenance of the hat, it's to common a model to pay more for it.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
When you mouse over a thumbnail in your photobucket album, you'll get a bunch of codes, like this:
STEP%2026%20PHOTOBUCKET%20%20LEFT%20CLICK%20ON%20IMG%20CODE%20and%20it%20SHOULD%20DARKEN%20THE%20CODE.jpg

Click on the IMG code and copy it (it will probably say "copied" as soon as you click on it). Don't click on the words "IMG Code", click on the code in the white box beside those terms.

Paste that code into your post. It will look something like http:www.photobucket/youralbum/somephoto.jpg[/img
(followed by a closing bracket).

When you hit either preview or post, that [img] nonsense turns into your photo.

Last edited:

kiakayak

New in Town
Tried all that and then some, but will try again. Thanks

Anyway, here is the mysterious Stetson. It never had a liner as far as I can tell. Brim is 3.5 inches. Any info or thoughts would be appreciated. I think it's pretty old.

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou