Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Not sure if Baron Hats does much restoration/maintenance work, but it's worth a try. Their custom hats are very nice, even if usually a little inflated on the price, but they're right on Burbank Blvd. in Burbank.

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I'm a 7-3/8, so $40-50 is about as cheap as I've seen a 5X. Other than the moth bites, it looked new... And, they were on the underside of the brim toward the back. How do you sand and fill those?

EDIT: And, I dunno if it was a clear beaver or anything... Oh, and if you wanted to pick up a 5X in a tan-ish color and send it to me... :D

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm a 7-3/8, so $40-50 is about as cheap as I've seen a 5X. Other than the moth bites, it looked new... And, they were on the underside of the brim toward the back. How do you sand and fill those?

EDIT: And, I dunno if it was a clear beaver or anything... Oh, and if you wanted to pick up a 5X in a tan-ish color and send it to me... :D

Youre the same size as me and that price is not bad for a hat WITHOUT moth damage. There really is no way to permenantly fix holes like that as far as "filling" so they would always be there. I live in Texas where there are alot more western hats on the "used" market available. I can go into most Salvation Army or Goodwill store and usually find one or two 3x or 4x or even 5x Stetsons in the hat "bin" for that price or less. I'm not familiar with a part of the US called "In a dark room...I hear voices..." so I have no idea what might be available for you :) But if you don't mind 'em and feel it's a fair price, go for it :)

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
Haha, I'm from Alabama, but I spend more of my time at home, so that's the reasoning for my location. Anyway, I really would rather have one without moth damage, and I'd rather it be cheaper... I could probably get them to knock off a couple bucks, but it wouldn't get it down to $30... I'd really like to find a Stetson, but in the southeast, every hillbilly thinks John B. Stetson is second to God, even though few of them have one of his hats... Anyway, it's looking like I'm gonna hafta wait on someone to pick up a used one in TX and try to sell it online. LOL

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Is there anything that can be done to improve the appearance of felt if moths have gotten to it? Or just live with it?

In reply I'll tell you what Joe Peters told me when I took my fathers OR to get cleaned and re-blocked. He had used it as his "yard hat" for years and it hung on a nail in the garage and had quite alot of moth nibbles and holes when I took it down a couple of years ago to take to Joe. He said he might could sand some of the less deep ones out, but the rest would have to stay. Since there were alot of deep ones I have chosen to keep the hat on the nail in the garage as a sort of 'homage" to him. As far as I have heard and read, theres really not mutch to be done if the moths got a good hold on the felt.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
In reply I'll tell you what Joe Peters told me when I took my fathers OR to get cleaned and re-blocked. He had used it as his "yard hat" for years and it hung on a nail in the garage and had quite alot of moth nibbles and holes when I took it down a couple of years ago to take to Joe. He said he might could sand some of the less deep ones out, but the rest would have to stay. Since there were alot of deep ones I have chosen to keep the hat on the nail in the garage as a sort of 'homage" to him. As far as I have heard and read, theres really not mutch to be done if the moths got a good hold on the felt.

Thanks, that's what I figured. Seems moths like fedoras just as much as we do. Perhaps even more. And unfortunately, the older the hat, the more opportunity moths have had to find it.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Interesting hat here. Any attempts to identify it?

9114ec4423e453411321484862.jpeg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've just landed my first Stetson Open Road, this one with a 2.5" brim. It fits well on the sides, but there's a bit of a gap between my skull and the back (or front) of the sweatband. I'll put in some padding. But is there any way to accelerate the process of molding it better to my head?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Right, GT, I've read about that here. I should spray on the inner side of the sweatband, right? Let it dry a little with the band turned out, then pop it back in, settle it on my head, and wear it for a while?

Right, GT, I've read about that here. I should spray on the inner side of the sweatband, right? Let it dry a little with the band turned out, then pop it back in, settle it on my head, and wear it for a while?

That is how I've done it in the past. I also have taken a damp rag & wiped the outer side of the sweatband when I didn't feel like straining the stitches....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner