Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hPPYs

New in Town
I have been wanting to ask for a long time:
Do hat makers really tie a bow, or just make a shape of bow?

IMGP0604.jpg

IMGP0606.jpg

Last edited:

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
This sticky is the place for questions so there are not a lot of threads with very few posts = bartenders will coagulate the question/answer posts here.
Also helps to have one place right on the top to see if somebody needs a question answered & not buried among other topics....

Yeah, understand that. I wait a bit for an answer.

bluelight

New in Town
Joshua Turner London

Is anyone familiar with the Joshua Turner (London) brand? I did a Google search but didn't find much (thanks in part to an apparently popular country-western singer by the same name). Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I picked up a homburg today; the inner hatband read "Joshua Turner London" and the lining read "Best Quality, Joshua Turner, trade mark, 24.Picccadilly. W., 5 Grand Hotel Buildings, W.C.2. and 52. Gresham St. E.C.2. I'm curious about its history, lineage and, of course, relative value. Is it equivalent to a Borsalino, Stetson or DAKS? Thank you for your input.

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
Akubra Color Question

I have an Akubra that is carbon gray in color. I may be able to acquire another one in charcoal gray. My question is whether the carbon gray and the charcoal gray are so similar that the two will look like the same hat. Can anyone provide insight on comparison of the two colors?

Gromulus

Practically Family
Akubra and their inconsistent color naming system. I "believe" that charcoal and graphite gray are the same color. I have a charcoal gray Banjo Patterson that is noticeably darker than my carbon (or "steel" gray) Stylemaster. In certain lighting situations the charcoal appears almost black. (Of course in the world of color there are many shades of black and degrees of "jetness").

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I happened across a couple of Stetson ORs in my travels (please don't ask where, I'm keeping this place as secret as possible for now, but it will be disclosed soon). No size is given, nor any way to email the people selling them. They are a BIT beat up, and the sweats have some wrinkles, but everything seems to be clean enough, no liner stains, etc. They are a tan color, only slightly darker that most silverbellies. My question is, how much is it probable to get out of each if they don't fit me?

I happened across a couple of Stetson ORs in my travels (please don't ask where, I'm keeping this place as secret as possible for now, but it will be disclosed soon). No size is given, nor any way to email the people selling them. They are a BIT beat up, and the sweats have some wrinkles, but everything seems to be clean enough, no liner stains, etc. They are a tan color, only slightly darker that most silverbellies. My question is, how much is it probable to get out of each if they don't fit me?

Size is a definite factor in pricing since the larger sizes are harder to come by. Also, depends on what "a BIT beat up" means as well. Pristine vintage OR's can bring nice prices but beaters won't bring near as much.

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
Size is a definite factor in pricing since the larger sizes are harder to come by. Also, depends on what "a BIT beat up" means as well. Pristine vintage OR's can bring nice prices but beaters won't bring near as much.

Well, I've found a way to message them now. But as far as condition, they appear to need new sweats, and reblocking/bashing. I plan on giving them a simple hand teardrop if I get them, just because that's what I like for them. There appears to be nothing else wrong with them at all.

lrobinson

New in Town
I hope this is the right place as I am not a hat collector. I recently acquired a very nice hat and was hoping for information about it. I wish I could post a picture as it is beautiful. It is a Resistol by Harry Rolnick, circa 1941. Kinda a sable color w/hatband and feather. Inside the band are 3 things printed in gold. "Sky Fleet" "Self conforming Trademark# 403324" and "Alexander's Idaho-Oregon" In the top is the pat# 407210. It is in the original "Dobbs" fifth ave box. I guess the question is should I keep this hat as an investment or sell it?

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I hope this is the right place as I am not a hat collector. I recently acquired a very nice hat and was hoping for information about it. I wish I could post a picture as it is beautiful. It is a Resistol by Harry Rolnick, circa 1941. Kinda a sable color w/hatband and feather. Inside the band are 3 things printed in gold. "Sky Fleet" "Self conforming Trademark# 403324" and "Alexander's Idaho-Oregon" In the top is the pat# 407210. It is in the original "Dobbs" fifth ave box. I guess the question is should I keep this hat as an investment or sell it?

A Resistol hat more than likely would have come in a Resistol box, not a Dobbs...

Investment hats are only the upper end of the spectrum, IMHO, like a Stetson or Resistol 100, or documented celebrity owned hats. 40's vintage Resistols are nice hats to own & wear but investment means it will increase in value over time & you have a market to sell it to realize that value. You are in that market space right now, so welcome.
Here's the main question = does it fit your head? If so, keep it & wear it as it was meant to be done. If no, sell it & use the funds to buy one that does fit...HTH

hyhats

New in Town
How do you fix a hat that's slightly too big?

I saw an article in the LA Times about using velcro to fix a hat that was too big, and was wondering what methods you have used to snug up a loose-fitting hat.

Do you buy designated hat-sizing tape or have you been told that 3M weatherstripping is just as good? Are you the guy who inserts a slip of paper behind the band or do you opt for a strip of felt or foam?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass