Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
So what about this? The "cut" of the cap (if y'all use that term with regards to hats) looks more like the Ivy/flat, but it has panels.

BorsalinoLongshoremanNavyLinen.jpg
That is a basic ivy cap. Look thru the cap faction thread to see examples of great caps.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Thanks. I really liked the look of that cap, so I bought it, but I just wanted to know what I'm actually wearing.

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Could someone please help with a Borsalino question? What was the difference between the ones that say Borsalino Qualita' Superiore..etc..(hold medallion) and the ones that are marked Giuseppe fu Lazzaro (blue and gold medallion)..Qualita' Speciale?
I have both and am wondering if it's a difference of quality, price etc..or just different eras? Is there a way to tell the age of the hat by the srtampings Thank you!!!

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Hello:

I have a question about Borsalino. Can someone please tell me the difference between the hats marked Vorsalino Qualita' Superiore wuth the gold medallion and the ones marked Giuseppe fu Lazzaro with the gold and blue medallion marked Qualita'Speciale? Is it only a difference in quality and price or is it indicative of different eras?

Thank you!

Zuiun

New in Town
Ok, I hope that someone can help point me in the right direction to find out some information about a hat I just acquired (and hopefully this is the correct place to ask such a question)...

The inside of the hat says Keens British. I'd put this thing in excellent condition. If it's been worn, then a phenomenal job has been done to clean it. It's black fur - the seller thought it was probably beaver.

I've done a search for it and found one reference in here to Keens, but it was only a user saying that they had some hats - no real information about the company. A web search is equally barren. The best I could turn up was an obituary for Charles Salesky (http://www.nytimes.com/1991/02/02/o...71-fashion-innovator-in-the-hat-industry.html).

Here is a photo of the hat: http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj539/Zuiun/keens-british.jpg

Basically, I just like to know whatever I can find out about the hat company and the hats they made. This seems to be a pretty quality lid (in my admitted very limited experience).

Thanks!

RBH

Bartender
Ok, I hope that someone can help point me in the right direction to find out some information about a hat I just acquired (and hopefully this is the correct place to ask such a question)...

The inside of the hat says Keens British. I'd put this thing in excellent condition. If it's been worn, then a phenomenal job has been done to clean it. It's black fur - the seller thought it was probably beaver.

I've done a search for it and found one reference in here to Keens, but it was only a user saying that they had some hats - no real information about the company. A web search is equally barren. The best I could turn up was an obituary for Charles Salesky (http://www.nytimes.com/1991/02/02/o...71-fashion-innovator-in-the-hat-industry.html).

Here is a photo of the hat: http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj539/Zuiun/keens-british.jpg

Basically, I just like to know whatever I can find out about the hat company and the hats they made. This seems to be a pretty quality lid (in my admitted very limited experience).

Thanks!

I ran across this from 1962. Hope it helps.

keens.jpg

JAVIER

Practically Family
Ok, I need your help. For our employee celebration we are going with a1887 them to celebrate 125 anniversary, my dilemma is that they recommend for gents top hats, handle bar mustache (not happening with me sorry) they suggest lab coats, or aviator hats and goggles too. Ok so it next Tuesday, I can't get a top hat in that time, what other hat represents that period, I don't have a bowler, would my Adam executive (whippet-like) work? If its hot should I just wear a panama, help?

Last edited:
Javier,

That time period would call for a bowler, homburg type hat, or boater. A planter style Panama would work. I also think a center dent OR style hat would work for that time period. You may be able to check some threads with late 19th, early 20th Century hat pictures to get some ideas.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I need your help. For our employee celebration we are going with a1887 them to celebrate 125 anniversary, my dilemma is that they recommend for gents top hats, handle bar mustache (not happening with me sorry) they suggest lab coats, or aviator hats and goggles too. Ok so it next Tuesday, I can't get a top hat in that time, what other hat represents that period, I don't have a bowler, would my Adam executive (whippet-like) work? If its hot should I just wear a panama, help?

Take a peek:

http://historicaltidbits.blogspot.com/2011/03/gentlemens-hats-1887.html

Aviator caps and googles? While there was balooning the Wright bros hit it at about 1912? Motoring? Seems too early for cars.

Don't forget if you're near a city there may be a costume place to rent.

Blooze

Familiar Face
I hope I'm not stepping out of line asking this. I lurk all the time, but have hardly posted as I don't consider myself an authority on anything hat related.

Picked this up at a deceased Dr.'s estate sale today because I just couldn't let it sit there looking nice and all. It's the wrong size for me (it's a 7 and I wear a 7 3/8), but figured someone would like it. It's a 2001 model from what I can tell according to the tags and has his initials on the band. Looks to be very lightly if ever worn. No moth nibbles or stains/spots, but the wind trolley cord is shot. I know the newer models are nothing like the vintage, but I have no idea what is a fair price range for it. I don't want to gouge anyone, but I don't want to give it away either, cuz I have aquisition disorders that need funded like everyone else! Can anyone advise me what would be a fair price range or somewhere on the interweb that may help me price it? I'd prefer not to ebay it--I have an aversion to selling on "that place".

i-L3ZbFwF-L.jpg

i-vX4vTNS-L.jpg

i-H3s5Wkg-L.jpg

RBH

Bartender
A brand new Alessandria [thin ribbon] can run upwards to 300$ + .
Yours is worth a great deal..... to someone that it will fit.
That is what you will have to figure out, the small size hats are easier to find than most large sizes.
As to the wind trolley, it just needs to be tightened up. There is nothing wrong with it.

Looking back on the 2nd photo, there seems to be quite a bit of sweat staining aroung the front sweat band. It may be cleanable, but that will take away from your price also.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
X-Post Panama question.

I finally had the oppor-knockety to weigh (what I think to be) my finest panama (no name, no brand, no ID, cotton sweat), the weave is, literally, finer than grains of sand on the beach, it is like a fine cloth & it flaps like a flag w/ a stiff wind.

I removed the pug while at a friends house who has a digital scale and it weighed in at two ounces -dead on. Can anyone (paging Mr. Weber) tell me how this compares with other Panamas' weight?

I have & would never try- but I'll wager w/o the sweat this might well roll up pass through your' wedding band.

I wish I had a macro as these are just the crappy auction pix. Likely why I was the only bidder.

panama2-1.jpg
panama1-1.jpg

panama3-1.jpg

Blooze

Familiar Face
A brand new Alessandria [thin ribbon] can run upwards to 300$ + .
Yours is worth a great deal..... to someone that it will fit.
That is what you will have to figure out, the small size hats are easier to find than most large sizes.
As to the wind trolley, it just needs to be tightened up. There is nothing wrong with it.

Looking back on the 2nd photo, there seems to be quite a bit of sweat staining aroung the front sweat band. It may be cleanable, but that will take away from your price also.

Thank you very much. I think the lighting, as the sun was at my back, caused it to look stained. In fact you can see the shadow on the board in front of it. If I look at it out in the sunlight I don't see anything. I'm awaiting some sensor cleaning materials for my good DSLR so when I sell I'll take proper pictures. The wind trolley cord - should it be elastic, because when you stretch it at all it just stays stretched? Like old elastic cord gone bad.

fedoracentric

Banned
OK, I have to say I am very upset and there isn't anything I can do about it, at this point. One of the reasons I like fedoras is that my grandpa wore one and I was given one of his when he passed. It was way too small for me, but I just wanted to keep it because it was his. I thought I'd get it out of the attic to take a look at it again and when I opened the box it was in... well, let's just say the bugs got to it. Ate a huge hole in the brim. I know darn well it wasn't like this before.

Of course, there isn't anything I can do with it at this point, but it makes me wonder what I can put in the box to stop further bug dining?

Is there some insect killer you guys use?

I thought about mothballs but I really don't want a hat that is smelling like those things.

So, is there anything you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner