Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It seems like at this point, you're not going to be satisfied until you get it reblocked open crown. If it were me, I'd wet the crown down and reshape it, but if you really, really want to 'erase' the remnants of the previous crease, get it reblocked.

As far as pouncing, it's literally sanding the hat with sandpaper.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Wet it down how much, a little bit of water or a lot of water? I was able to help it some with what I did, but it still wants to snap to where it was steamed in, all I want to be able to do is reshape it in a new style, that's all I want to do, nothing more nothing less.

As for the pouncing, it's just regular sanding, no special technique?

Out of curiosity, what could have caused the furriness?

Last edited:

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Wet it down how much, a little bit of water or a lot of water? I was able to help it some with what I did, but it still wants to snap to where it was steamed in, all I want to be able to do is reshape it in a new style, that's all I want to do, nothing more nothing less.

You need to know what you're doing when you pounce a hat. Wrong sandpaper wrong technique and you'll be much worse off than when you started. Don't try it, for the first time, on a hat you want to keep.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Define a little or a lot. [huh]

Get a spray bottle, fill it with distilled water, pop the crease out, spray it down, shape, let dry. You don't want to soak through to the core of the felt, but you do want to get it damp.

There is indeed a technique to pouncing, and I would not attempt it personally.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
A little being doesn't really show, a lot being visibly wet. The felt on this hat is really soft and thin, so I don't think it would take too much to make it soak through, though it does claim to be water resistant. About how far should I hold the bottle away from the hat, up close or farther away? I did try water, but I probably didn't use anywhere near enough, out of my fear of damaging the hat.

I would take it to Peters Brothers, but it just seems to me that they aren't really careful and don't too much care about the welfare of the hat. Like their attitude is "eh, just a hat, you can always get another". Not that they've done a bad job, just that they don't seem too careful.

masiaka

Familiar Face
More than a little, anywhere from a moderately high amount to a lot under your definition. I use liberal amounts of steam to shape and reshape my hats, though some on here think that it has the potential to deform the felt. Hold the spray bottle close enough to the hat to not splash extra on your shoes. Water shouldn't damage your hat too much if you're careful with how the hat dries.

As for the fuzziness, frequent brushing in the right direction (anticlockwise on the top of the hat and clockwise on the bottom) will keep the hairs laying down if it's only slightly fuzzy.

Last edited:

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
A little being doesn't really show, a lot being visibly wet. The felt on this hat is really soft and thin, so I don't think it would take too much to make it soak through, though it does claim to be water resistant. About how far should I hold the bottle away from the hat, up close or farther away? I did try water, but I probably didn't use anywhere near enough, out of my fear of damaging the hat.

I set the sprayer to a fine mist, and hold the bottle about 8-12 inches from the hat and spray it down, rotating the hat, and keeping the bottle moving to evenly distribute the water (kind of a swiping/blending motion with each spray). Watch the felt, and when it starts to darken - indicating that the water is soaking in - stop when evenly covered. I then use micro cloth to go over the felt in a counter clockwise motion to even things out, and pick up excess water that may have run down on the brim. Let it set for about 5 minutes. Works for me!

I would add that I have found the yellow/green micro fiber towels to be wonderful for removing dust and water from a hat. Prior to doing any blocking, either with steam or water, I wipe the hat down with one. Doing so will help reduce any staining or spotting that might occur from stray water drops on the brim should dust be present etc.

Relax, Amigo! Hats are tougher than you think. Your not likely to damage it with water. Stay away from the sandpaper! Above all, if you are not comfortable doing this your self, seek professional advice and service.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I think that's all I need to know about that. Masiaka said to be careful about how it dries, do I need to take any special precautions in that department?

Also, it just so happens that I just got a really thick, tough hat for $30.00, so I think I can test on it, plus it lacks a lining so I can try new things inside it without damaging the outside. I'd rather not completely screw it up, but I bought it mostly so I could try things without sacrificing an expensive hat.

masiaka

Familiar Face
Just don't leave your hat near a blowing a/c vent or anything that will speed up the drying time too much. Let the hat dry slowly, evenly, and naturally and everything will turn out fine. Good luck!
Also, it just so happens that I just got a really thick, tough hat for $30.00, so I think I can test on it, plus it lacks a lining so I can try new things inside it without damaging the outside.
Does that new, tough hat happen to be wool felt? If it is then you're going to have a really tough time shaping it. It can be done, but not nearly as easily as with fur felt IMHO.

Last edited:

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
The new hat is fur, unless there's such a thing as 2X wool. It's the hat I posted here, a green Keen's. Since it claims to be showerproof, plus it's so thick, I was planning to have a liner put in and use it in heavy rains, but I was going to hold off in case I needed to test anything on it.

And I've learned that hat's aren't so delicate, I just need time to let it soak in.

job

One Too Many
I have used felt stiffener on a cheap straw hat. I sprayed it on and let it dry. Then I carefully steamed the straw until it was more pliable, then I held it in the shape I wanted for awhile to let it set in place.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I know I've asked this before, but I've really never gotten it straightened out, and it's bothering me. As I've said before, the felt in the middle of the front pinch (and a little bit in the dents and on top) is furrier than the rest. As I said, I brushed and sponged it, which did lay it down, but didn't help in any other way. As discussed earlier, pouncing with sandpaper is not something to try on a treasured hat, and I don't really even know what that would do.

I don't even know if this is a serious problem, but if it is, I will do anything necessary to fix it, as this is my most prized hat at this time.

(Click to enlarge)

What could have caused this? Because I don't believe it was like this when I received the hat.

More importantly, what can I do to fix this? I'm willing to send it off to a hatter if necessary, but I'd rather fix it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112