Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tridentine

Suspended
Not according to your experience with the Ashland. There's a lot of variables at play (not the least of which I mentioned above). Do you know if you're a regular oval shape?
I do not know about that, but the hat measurment that fits me well is: 8 3/16 by 6 1/2

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I do not know about that, but the hat measurment that fits me well is: 8 3/16 by 6 1/2

When in doubt, go larger. But there are any number of issues which can affect fit. If you find that there's extra space on the sides and it seems to have more pressure at the front and back, you may be a long oval. You might also be inbetween two head shapes or have a round oval head.

And again, sizing is not consistent with precision, even from the same manufacturer.

thereal

New in Town
5 panel caps

Hey everybody,
I am a high school student and i really like 5 panel camp hats. I have seen multiple posts about 5 panels but they haven't given me the information i have looked all over the internet, library and sewing store for. My friend and i really want to make our own, however we cant seem to find the right size and shape for the panels. I have seen a lot of comments on previous posts about tearing apart an old 5 panel to see the size of the panels. i don't really want to do this because they were pretty expensive and i still wear all of them. has anyone on here tried making one of these hats before? what were the dimensions that you used for the panels? and do you have a template or directions for how to make one?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks in advance :)

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I am also a 23 1/4" head. I am an extra long egg oval head shape. I find that 7 1/2's feel better. They are really loose at first but shrink to fit around my odd shaped head. 7 3/8 sized hats usually fit well but my long head tends to push out the sweatband flange causing the stitching to dig in. I have found that a hat that is a little too big and let to shrink to fit holds that sweatband flange better and feels a heck of a lot better. Any one agree? Vintage hats may have already shrank a bit. New hats have yet to. Maybe that's why your new hat is loose.

tridentine

Suspended
Sorry about all the naive questions:
Does anyone know when Borsalino stopped putting the "serrated edge" on the front of their sweat bands?
Thank you.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Hey everybody,
I am a high school student and i really like 5 panel camp hats. I have seen multiple posts about 5 panels but they haven't given me the information i have looked all over the internet, library and sewing store for. My friend and i really want to make our own, however we cant seem to find the right size and shape for the panels. I have seen a lot of comments on previous posts about tearing apart an old 5 panel to see the size of the panels. i don't really want to do this because they were pretty expensive and i still wear all of them. has anyone on here tried making one of these hats before? what were the dimensions that you used for the panels? and do you have a template or directions for how to make one?

Any help is appreciated,

Hello there, I went thru the same thing and never found any patterns on the internet for making caps. You can see maybe a couple of videos on youtube of how they are made. Also, you might want to consider taking one of your caps apart. I purchased a couple that I really liked and they also were not cheap, but they were my starting point on making my own caps and it did pay off. Once you do that and study how it is assembled that will help you quite a bit.

thereal

New in Town
Hey, thanks for the reply man,

were you successful in making one? if so would it be too much trouble to post a template or the dimensions that you used?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Hey everybody,

Any help is appreciated,

Here are instructions for an 8-panel. Maybe it will help you figure out the math for a 5. Post -> MAKING 8 PANEL CAP

B

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
I agree.

I see nothing that looks like this hat started out as a Homberg.

Maybe a search on the brand name would turn up something.

A search on the brand name? It's a Stetson, I'll get the phonebook. I'm looking for a hat expert to say that Stetson made fedoras just like this one in the 1920's. Fedoras with very small brims and a raw edge, with straight non-tapering sides on the crown and a somewhat flat top that's resulting in a shallow bash.

That looks like a Fedora to me. What is giving you a 'red-flag'?

The edge looks uneven, like it's been trimmed.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The dimensions are not uncommon for a hat of that period. As we saw a few pages back, workmanship was not always spectacular and brims were sometimes cut poorly.

Moreover, i'm not sure that your basic premise holds out. Personally I would think that a hat from that time period would be valuble regardless of whether or not it was a Homburg....the assumption that someone trimmed the brim with the intentions of "scamming" someone for more money strains credulity to me. Anything is possible, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing anything in the photos that suggest it is or was a Stetson, nor that it dates from the 1920s. It looks like a 1940s-50s hat that has had its brim cut down. I can't decipher the image behind or in the gold imprint. It looks like it might have been a large foil stamp over the original logo - perhaps done during a renovation?

Odd, certainly, but like Jared, I also do not see any signs of a scam.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Here are instructions for an 8-panel. Maybe it will help you figure out the math for a 5. Post -> MAKING 8 PANEL CAP

B

Math wouldn't help much, I'm afraid, Bill, as it's a completely different beast:

fivepanelcampcap.jpg

As others have said, though, disassembly is pretty much the best option.

Brad

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm not seeing anything in the photos that suggest it is or was a Stetson, nor that it dates from the 1920s. It looks like a 1940s-50s hat that has had its brim cut down. I can't decipher the image behind or in the gold imprint. It looks like it might have been a large foil stamp over the original logo - perhaps done during a renovation?

Odd, certainly, but like Jared, I also do not see any signs of a scam.

Yeah, that did not look like a Stetson liner to me either, but I don't know enough about early Stetsons to make the call.

Whatever it is, I don't think the final price was an unfair price for a lid in that condition, regardless of whether or not the brim had been trimmed.

Mystic

Practically Family
A search on the brand name? It's a Stetson, I'll get the phonebook. I'm looking for a hat expert to say that Stetson made fedoras just like this one in the 1920's. Fedoras with very small brims and a raw edge, with straight non-tapering sides on the crown and a somewhat flat top that's resulting in a shallow bash.

The edge looks uneven, like it's been trimmed.

I think that would have been a clearer question to ask than the "scam" question.

Did you find Stetson in the phone book?

The search I was referring to was on the threads here on the lounge.

Last edited:

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
Am I gonna regret this?

Hello, experienced Loungers:

Pretty Wife and I went over to W. Seattle for brunch this morning (Ma'olo Whiskey & Chicken; it's now on our repeat list), and went walking around afterward to settle our hash.

Hanging on the wall of an antique store, I saw a chocolate brown Stetson. It was wide-brimmed with a VERY tall crown and what I'd call a narrow cattleman's crease -- kinda pinched together at the top. It's clearly been worn some, as the wide brim didn't have that factory-fresh, perfectly regular look to it. It's stiff enough not to be floppy, though not RIGID like my 80s or 90s-manufactured Open Road.

The felt looked to be in very nice shape, kind of thick-feeling but not too stiff and no holes or thin spots evident. Liner has the outdoor scene; it's got a Stetson branding iron pin just above the band; sweatband (which is in good shape) announces it as a 4X beaver. Can't remember the quality (if it was even marked), and I didn't have the wit to take a crappy cell phone picture for later reference.

It's my size (7-3/8), though I'd have to stretch it longer and narrower. Fits fine if I push the sides in toward my temples.

It was marked at $140. To me, that price seemed taller than the crown, and I shrugged at my sweetie and hung it back up on the wall.

Should I be pleased at my prudence, or kick myself in my decreasingly kick-tolerant shins, run back and misappropriate Christmas money for this hat?

Thanks for any information.

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran