Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

job

One Too Many
Does anyone know if the Akubra country club has a different block than the rink or capricorn straw hat. I know it has a larger brim. On the Australiangear.com site it looks like it but pics can be deceiving.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had nothing but great luck with only two places I've used (and have used both many times) - Texas Hatters in Lockhart, TX (http://texashatters.com) and Paris Hatters in San Antonio, TX (http://parishatters.com). Excellent work and great prices.

Wow, only one reply to my question? No one else is having hats cleaned and blocked or having sweatbands replaced
by anyone other than Optimo? When I saw this thread was "Ask a question, get an answer" I didn't know it was so
literally AN answer. Speak up, hat restoration fans.

Thanks for the answer, TPD166. Never heard of those guys. Have they worked on vintage fedoras for you?

FrankMc

Familiar Face
Short answer....no.

The hat stills needs 'jacked' a little to fit correct.

Go to Buckaroo Hatters in Covington and get Rocky to steam it and shape it to your head.

Thanks, and I've taken my hat up there and Rocky did indeed "jack" it, or as he called it "gave it a bounce". A couple of cowboys I know told me they have a red mark on their foreheads after wearing their hats, so maybe it's different with a fedora. The mark that is left doesn't last long, but I do wear it snug. I will take it back for another visit to Mike and Rocky soon, always great to visit them and walk the square.

Wow, only one reply to my question? No one else is having hats cleaned and blocked or having sweatbands replaced
by anyone other than Optimo? When I saw this thread was "Ask a question, get an answer" I didn't know it was so
literally AN answer. Speak up, hat restoration fans.

Thanks for the answer, TPD166. Never heard of those guys. Have they worked on vintage fedoras for you?

I've used Shorty's & Catalena Hatters as well as Optimo to good results in having hats restored.
These were for Open Roads. I don't think Catalena does non-western hats.

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Hello: I've just acquired this beautiful hat and wonder if someone could help me identify the brand? The inside is marked only with the name of the store. I know well the store and thought that they only sold Borsalino, but nowhere does it say Borsalino. The store no longer exists. Thanks!!

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Hello: I've just acquired this beautiful hat and wonder if someone could help me identify the brand? The inside is marked only with the name of the store. I know well the store and thought that they only sold Borsalino, but nowhere does it say Borsalino. The store no longer exists. Thanks!!

you will need to upload pictures and then post them for anyone to know what your hat is. I can not see it thru the internet otherwise.:)

jskeen

One of the Regulars
any info on "Lee R. Snavely" store brand?

Picked this up off feebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/140926032055?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 for a nice price on spec, and it turned out to be a sweetheart. Liner (sewn in, not glued), was a little stained, but that's being dry cleaned, and the felt has wonderful hand and drape. Very happy with it as a wearer once I get it stretched just a tad and the cleaned liner re-installed.

I have come up completely dry on Lee R. Snavely as a retailer, or anything for that matter. Anybody care to share some hard won knowledge? I originally assumed the hat was probably a Lee brand (any relation to the seller, I dunno?) so hoped it would not be a total dog, but was surprised by the quality. Also curious if it has an original bash, or if it's a more modern redo? Thinking of having it steamed open and a simpler center crease set, to give a little more crown height.

A couple of additional pics;
CIMG0003.JPG

CIMG0002.JPG

CIMG0004.JPG

CIMG0005.JPG

CIMG0010.JPG

and the dreaded headshot
CIMG0006.JPG

So, what say the cognoscenti in any case?
James

jskeen

One of the Regulars
I did google it first, really I did! Seriously!

Capture.jpg

Guess I should have put the . after the R
Thanks Alan
C'est la vie!

Last edited:
Not at all. It can be helpful to search Google Books and Images for old stores... ads and other periodical material will come up that are buried further back in a web search.

ldbenj

New in Town
I have used "Clean A Hat" in Olive Branch, MS. Prices are much lower than Optimo, and the owner Drew Williams has done a great job on several vintage fedoras I've sent him.

Many years ago, "Baron California Hats" in Burbank, CA restored a Lock & Co. that had been stored under a heavy trunk for a long time. I couldn't believe the results - it looked brand new when they were done with it.

Dan the Man

New in Town
Hello everyone, Im new here and was debating where to put this question so please tell me if I should move it. I have been wanting a good western / cowboy hat for a while. I have some questions. What type felt should I get, 50X or 100X? How long does a good hat (being used) last? I would be waring this hat outside riding hoarses and such, would this affect it? I found a place called Buckaroo Hatters ( http://www.buckaroohatters.com/ ) has anyone used them or heard of them? Ive bought a couple of cheaper hats but, thers just been somthing missing. I have always liked the feel and style of the 1800s so I think this may be what I want. Sorry I have so many questions. Im just a little lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone, Im new here and was debating where to put this question so please tell me if I should move it. I have been wanting a good western / cowboy hat for a while. I have some questions. What type felt should I get, 50X or 100X? How long does a good hat (being used) last? I would be waring this hat outside riding hoarses and such, would this affect it? I found a place called Buckaroo Hatters ( http://www.buckaroohatters.com/ ) has anyone used them or heard of them? Ive bought a couple of cheaper hats but, thers just been somthing missing. I have always liked the feel and style of the 1800s so I think this may be what I want. Sorry I have so many questions. Im just a little lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome. Don't have a western/cowboy hat from Major Moore but do have my first custom fedora from him.
Forget the X's but decide if you want a beaver fur felt, beaver blend fur felt, rabbit/wild hare blend fur felt or rabbit fur felt hat body.
Taken care of properly, any of these will last you a life time then somebody else a life time.
Do some reading then ask questions to drill down on what you don't understand.
100% beaver fur felt, undyed, dress weight, bound edge
buckfs2.jpg

buckfs4.jpg

buckfs3.jpg

buckfs5.jpg

Dan the Man

New in Town
That is an excellent looking hat gtdean48. So beaver or hare has the same feel, durability, comfort,and lifespan? I was under the impression that beaver lasted longer. If what your saying is true I might get the hare or the beaver, hare mix. mainly because the more I pay the more i might "baby" the hat. I have been looking for a hat that I could have for a lifetime to be my signature hat. Thats why durability and comfort is somthing I am looking for. Also thank you for the reply and help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot