Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Qvist

Familiar Face
Hello guys!

I need some advise on choosing a right brim width. I´m about to get a new Stetson Chatham which has 2 3/8 brim standard but Bencraft Hatters is sellin Chatham with 2 3/4 brim. I have a quite big head (7 5/8) and wide face so I was wonderin, which brim would look better on me? Is 2 3/4 brim too big or will it fit better on my melon than 2 3/8 brim?

Thanks for any advise and exuse me for my poor grammar :)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hi Qvist, I've seen the stingies you've posted in the What Hat are you Wearing Today thread, and I don't think that 2 3/4" is too broad. You might find when you first put it on that it feels big, but it should be alright proportionally on you.

Hello guys! I need some advise on choosing a right brim width. I´m about to get a new Stetson Chatham which has 2 3/8 brim standard but Bencraft Hatters is sellin Chatham with 2 3/4 brim. I have a quite big head (7 5/8) and wide face so I was wonderin, which brim would look better on me? Is 2 3/4 brim too big or will it fit better on my melon than 2 3/8 brim? Thanks for any advise and exuse me for my poor grammar :)

The brim width is actually more of a what are you comfortable with. Remember over time, the fashion / style changed so there were wider brims at certain times and smaller brims at other times. Back then many people went with what was the current fashion in spite of their head size. Do you have a particular one you are leaning towards?

I tend to like wider brims over smaller ones, but you can also consider if you are going for a certain "look" to capture a specific year you want to emulate research what type of hats were prevelant and how you like that look.

Qvist

Familiar Face
^&^^ Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! I´m not after emulating any specific era or fashion, I´m just after a hat that looks good on my giant melon. And as my head / face is quite large, I think I´m leaning towards getting the wider brim...

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As much as we are "enablers" of a common interest, at least this a fairly harmless interest. It can get a bit pricey, but compared with other hobbies, it's downright inexpensive.

Thats how I justify it. Some guys collect cars, others collect boats, I collect hats and it makes me smile!!! I need something from the 30s though.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I'm thinking if I go with a true Indy hat, it will be in brown. This link looks interesting - thanks!

Andy, I'm not a brown hat guy, but I have a Raiders hat from David Garrison and love it.

Had it quite a while and I've worn it in rain, snow, summer heat and other than some sweat stains (which I just wash off from time to time) the hat is as good as new. One cool thing is that it has the liner style that Steve Delk used to use, I like it much more than the current AB liner and it is a million times better than Akubra liners.

smugshot_9861610-L.jpg

David has mentioned that his $175 rabbit deal (that's what I have) is ending soon, so if you want one of the best hat bargains around, you better contact him.

Hello guys!

I need some advise on choosing a right brim width. I´m about to get a new Stetson Chatham which has 2 3/8 brim standard but Bencraft Hatters is sellin Chatham with 2 3/4 brim. I have a quite big head (7 5/8) and wide face so I was wonderin, which brim would look better on me? Is 2 3/4 brim too big or will it fit better on my melon than 2 3/8 brim?

Thanks for any advise and exuse me for my poor grammar :)

Your grammar is better than most teens in the States, Qvist! As for the correct brim width... try starting with the "golden ratio" approach. It's a great place to start, and easy to measure.

Or just go with what you like.

Qvist

Familiar Face
Your grammar is better than most teens in the States, Qvist! As for the correct brim width... try starting with the "golden ratio" approach. It's a great place to start, and easy to measure.

Or just go with what you like.

I calculated the "Golden Ratio" and it gave me ~ 2" brim. And I know that stingys DON´T suite me... I was hoping that wider brim would make my wide face look thinner. Have I got it all wrong?

I calculated the "Golden Ratio" and it gave me ~ 2" brim. And I know that stingys DON´T suite me... I was hoping that wider brim would make my wide face look thinner. Have I got it all wrong?

Oooo, wow, I guess it doesn't always work. I agree with you. A wider than 2" brim would be my guess... say a minimum of 2-3/8" or so. More likely 2-5/8. This is all part of the fun, Qvist!

Rassalas

New in Town
I just received a Monticristi fino fino grade hat from Panama Hats Direct. The seam at the back of the sweatband is not sewn or otherwise connected and thus the band spreads apart when on my head making the hat too large. All my other hats have sewn sweatband seams and I'm wondering if it is considered proper to leave this seam loose, or is this an example of shoddy workmanship as I consider the rest of the hat to be subpar as well.

FrankMc

Familiar Face
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I understand that Stetson will be changing their "Gus" cowboy hat from a four X to a six X, what is the difference? What does that mean in quality?

Last edited:

scanbran

New in Town
Hi,

I was looking for some information about a hat I have, but I haven't been able to verify what it is.

I was bought it as a gift about 20-25 years ago, but didn't really take too much of an interest at that time.

Recently I looked it out to have a look. I'd always assumed it was a Stetson since it came in a Stetson box, but I can't see any Stetson marks on the hat itself.
It instead has a 'Texas Hats' star logo in the liner, but I've been unable to discover if this is a seperate maker.

Could someone please have a look at the photos and maybe let me know something about it?

Thanks!

Orangegrad

Practically Family
A few days ago I began using the file upload to insert photos. It worked just fine. Starting yesterday that feature no longer works for me. A file is uploaded, but the upload doesn't complete. The files a .jpg. I'm back to uploading to Photobucket and pasting the URL. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot