Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a Stetson Open Road. If you look on ebay or do a search on this forum you'll find lots of info on that style of hat. If you are a size 7 1/8 you shouldn't have much difficulty finding one in better condition than that one.

xbeatles
casechopper is right, you can find some very nice Open Roads in better condition for as much or less $$$.
If you really want a beater, you can definitely find one like that for less, esp in 7 1/8 size.

Ok this is slightly confusing. I really like the look of this hat aside form it being beaten up. I like the fact that the front tips down. Is that a particular style?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=221264021342

The term for that down in front brim is called a "SNAP BRIM" and it comes from the style of block they use for the brim. A lot of these can be pushed so they curl up. There are some blocks give more of a curl than others, Matt Deckard had one in his personal collection that was awesome. (It had a brim as rakish as the one George Reeves wore as Clark Kent in the 1950's TV Superman.) If you get a chance to see some of the blocks used in shaping a fedora it will be clear to see how they do that. it is possible with some hats to re-do the curl with a block.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
No I was just saying I liked that style. Obviously I need one in better condition.

Most of the ones on eBay I saw were cowboy hats that didn't seem right.

By the way my size is 7-3/8.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Yes. The stratoliner is exactly what I want. I did a quick google image search. It looks great in a brown color with a black band on the top.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Ok I was looking up the statoliner online and eBay and it looks pretty pricey at around $400 ish. Is there anything more moderately priced? Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

RBH

Bartender
Ok I was looking up the statoliner online and eBay and it looks pretty pricey at around $400 ish. Is there anything more moderately priced? Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

I believe Stetson is coming out with a open crown Stratoliner or like model in the coming season.
But for a very Stratoliner like hat try the Akubra Campdraft.
You could also holler at some of the fine Hatters that are here on the Lounge and get a custom fedora.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Well I was in the boat of not wanting to spend that much. My limit right now was a max of $100. I am new to this and wanted to start a little lower. It also does not help that I am a college student.

I can not imagine that a custom hat would be that inexpensive.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Is there any stetson that would fit the budget? Even second hand I don't mind. I am sort of pre disposed to them and was very satisfied with my other albeit cheaper hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner