Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Well I did quite a bit of searching and concluded that the campdraft is a open road vintage Cloan. It is suppose to be a very decent hat. The only problem I have is new on amazon is $150 ish and that link you posted has it but on back order for 3 months. eBay has none and this forum has none currently. I'll keep looking. Maybe I should put up a want to buy thread.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, there's no hat police to stop you, but it may be uncomfortable to wear a fur felt hat in Florida summer heat. Most here have straw hats for hot weather in addition to fur felt hats.

Akubras are made for the Australian outback, so it's not unheard of to see a felt hat under the hot sun, but it just may make you very sweaty and bottle in the heat. So to speak. Especially with the plastic top liner on an Akubra (which can be removed)

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Australia is a lot drier than Miami as well. Dry heat and fur felt combine much better than humid heat and fur felt. In Miami a nice panama would go well most of the year.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Well I considered a Panama hat but I just didn't like the look. It didn't look finished like an old school vintage looking hat. That is what drew me to a fur felt hat.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Look I know I seem to be all over the place but this is the style of hat I really like. It is brown with the black ribbon and it looks pretty manly. Since I am not that great with hat jargin what would be the closest hat I can get to this bearing in mind cost?

Hat+and+Coatbogey.jpg

I am not saying I do not like the other hats we have discussed I really do but this type of hat preferably that one in particular is what I want.

Attachments

• Hat+and+Coatbogey.jpg
    Hat+and+Coatbogey.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,197

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
That is a 30s/40s style Fedora. They are not cheap in 7 3/8 unless ou are lucky. You could go with an Akubra Federation, and trim the brim down to your liking. That would give you a nice 30s tall crown.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Alright I think the Akubra Federation looks pretty nice. Might look a little too much like indiana Jones but that might be a good thing. I will keep searching. Sorry to take you guys on this chase of multiple hats.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
A brown hat is a brown hat. They existed WAY before Indiana was even a thought... I own 5 Pre-1940s Brown hats. We have had Loungers who were wearing a grey fedora be told they look like Indiana Jones.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Carbon grey federation wouldn't be a bad choice, but the ribbon is not quite as tall.

Also, if you want to get really specific in your search for a Bogey hat, look for a felted edge, widely known as the Cavanagh edge, or the mode edge. It's a process which can no longer be done that involves the edge of the brim being folded over and the fur fibers felted back into itself to create a seamless edge. The modern alternative would be a welted edge, which is where the brim is folded over (or under) itself amd sewn in place. The classic Bogey look is a deep diamond crease.

I lucked out and got a nice vintage Borsalino...it's the slightly smaller European cousin of the Bogey hat
IMG_20130331_181654_zpsd8c8e5f0.jpg

Here's a shot showing the Cavanagh edge:
IMG_20130417_192917_zpsf1992332.jpg

Oh, also, Bogey endorsed Resistol hats, and in my experience, Resistol hats usually go for a bit cheaper than Stetsons. I think this is probably due to both Stetson being more well known, and Resistol being known mainly for Western hats. So you may want to look into Resistols on ebay as well.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Alright I think the Akubra Federation looks pretty nice. Might look a little too much like indiana Jones but that might be a good thing. I will keep searching. Sorry to take you guys on this chase of multiple hats.

I'm not sure what sites you are looking at for an Akubra but a Fed IV from HatsDirect will cost you about $160.00 shipped to your door from Australia. If they have your size in stock you will have it in about 10 days instead of 3 months. That is about $60.00 more than you wanted to pay but well worth it for a well made, brand new hat in the style you want. Here is a link to it.

http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=46&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars

Landman

One Too Many
I doubt you are going to find anything this quality online for around $100 unless you get very, very lucky. Especially if you take shipping costs into consideration. Your best bet might be checking thrift shops locally for a vintage hat.

The Deluxe version has a little better sweatband and the felt is slightly denser. In my opinion the difference is very marginal. If you are trying to save money just go with the standard.

Last edited:

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Well i measured my head and it came out to 59.4 ish cm. Ill go measure again.

Lets just say I do buy the hat and it seems just a tad too big is there something I can do to shrink it slightly?

Ok I just measured again and it is pretty much exactly 59cm. I think I will pass on that hat even though I really want it and at a great price.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Akubras in particular do shrink up over time. Many folks do buy a size larger and let the hat do its thing. You can shrink a sweatband slightly by moistening it and placing the hat atop a lampshade. You can also pad out the sweatband with papertowels, weatherstripping foam, felt sizing inserts, etc.

While this approach does work, it's obviously optimal to have a well fitting hat in the first place. But you do have options if the hat is just a smidgen too big

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
So then should I go for it? Or just wait to find a different one? Ah decision decisions. Also what is your hat in the avatar photo.

I feel like I am rushing this. i will just wait it out and find a hat in 7-3/8 and go from there. I can always stretch slightly if needed.

Last edited:

wahine

Practically Family
Since I have an enormous head (for a lady) and a tiny wallet, I have failed in buying a fitting vintage hat so far. I found a cute hat/cap at my local thrift store and got it although it was too small - I hoped I could widen it somehow. Well, I couldn't.
Before I give it away, maybe you can help me date it?
Sorry if I'm in the wrong section - as a hat novice I don't know my way around here. :eek: Is there a special Ladies' Hats Section??

I read Brüder (brothers) Höhm or Böhm, Vienna. Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner