Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

job

One Too Many
Andy, I always try to brush a stain out. I sometimes come back to it and brush it some more. Spot cleaning can cause more larger spotting. I tried to clean a small area with some hat cleaner and made it worse. Try brushing it to death first and maybe use a hat sponge that is a little abrasive to remove the stain before applying any type of powder or chemical to it. Good luck.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I do have a brush. I've heard that steaming before brushing can help. Sometimes stains add character to a hat. But this is a dress hat. Worst case is it goes to one of the pros.

RBH

Bartender
I picked up this hat that is branded as "lion Hats". A search on the lounge and net didn't produce much info.
can anyone tell me anything about it and possible age. It has a relatively low crown, 4 1/8 AS bashed and a 2 3/4 bound brim.

lion.jpg

Lion Hats was made by Langenberg Hat Co. Langenberg later became Beaver Brand Hats.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Thanks RBH. I am sort of confused on how to date it. Plastic in the liner but with a thin felt that dry bashes beautifully. It has a shorter more modern crown and a relatively large brim. I was going to photo the liner but as luck would have it my camera batteries were only good for two pics

Frohl

New in Town
Shaping straw

I just scored a vintage Mallory straw porkpie. Overall it's in real good condition, but could use a little work of the brim to really look clean. I have read a few tricks, but is there any good ways of steaming and shaping at home? Or should I just take it to a good hat shop with a steamer? Not sure of its age yet, but I'm working on it...

zenid

New in Town
What would be the appropiate hat etiquette at university?
Can I wear my hat in the corridors etc.? Obviously, I'd take it off in class. Just wondering for all that space between two classrooms ;)

What would be the appropiate hat etiquette at university?
Can I wear my hat in the corridors etc.? Obviously, I'd take it off in class. Just wondering for all that space between two classrooms ;)

Most consider common areas like foyers, hallways, corridors, etc., as acceptable to wear your hat only removing it when entering a more private area like a classroom, office, apartment, etc.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am looking for a tolliker to do overwelts with. Can be
Iron or wood, new or vintage.
Any one have one to sell or where to get one?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I need assistance again. Sorry

I am a size 59 and am relatively new to this. Could I stretch it or is it more hassle than it is worth?

I wanted a tawny fawn fed but I spotted this on eBay.

Is it a good buy or stay away?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=151110885150

That's only a hat body. You'd have to drop $40+ for a new sweatband, $25+ for a new ribbon, and probably $50+ to have it reblocked.

I just scored a vintage Mallory straw porkpie. Overall it's in real good condition, but could use a little work of the brim to really look clean. I have read a few tricks, but is there any good ways of steaming and shaping at home? Or should I just take it to a good hat shop with a steamer? Not sure of its age yet, but I'm working on it...

You can make a simple foil cone or buy an attachment for a kettle. You want the moisture, not the heat per se.

Depending on how bad the brim is though, you may just want to have it reflanged.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
That's only a hat body. You'd have to drop $40+ for a new sweatband, $25+ for a new ribbon, and probably $50+ to have it reblocked.

You can make a simple foil cone or buy an attachment for a kettle. You want the moisture, not the heat per se.

Depending on how bad the brim is though, you may just want to have it reflanged.

Yah I figured it would cost more than it was worth so I decided to pass on it. Thanks for making me feel better about passing on it. I still want a fed iv I just didn't want to drop $140 easily while I am just now starting college.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Where can I find another one of these?

Sorry I don't have a way to post a pic, but I got a hat off eBay yesterday and I'd love to have another.

It's styled to look somewhat like an Australian army slouch hat. The hat is olive green with a tan pugaree and vent holes on the sides. The brim is shorter and a lot thicker and stiffer than an Australian slouch hat. The hat almost looks like a combination of an Australian slouch hat and an Indiana Jones type fedora.

Inside, it's marked "Dynafelt The Water Repellant Fur Blend". The tag says 10% fur fibers 5% other fibers. I guess the stock number is WPL 5923. Made In USA.

The sweat band says "Dyna Felt DELUXE FUR BLEND"

The hat is exactly what I'm looking for in a stiff-brimmed safari-type fedora.

Help me find another one!

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Where can I find another one of these?

I got a hat off eBay yesterday and I'd love to have another.

It's styled to look somewhat like an Australian army slouch hat. The hat is olive green with a tan pugaree and vent holes on the sides. The brim is shorter and a lot thicker and stiffer than an Australian slouch hat. The hat almost looks like a combination of an Australian slouch hat and an Indiana Jones type fedora.

Inside, it's marked "Dynafelt The Water Repellant Fur Blend". The tag says 10% fur fibers 5% other fibers. I guess the stock number is WPL 5923. Made In USA.

The sweat band says "Dyna Felt DELUXE FUR BLEND"

The hat is exactly what I'm looking for in a stiff-brimmed safari-type fedora.

Help me find another one!
dynafelt hat.jpg dynafelt hat 2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner