Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
No idea how to clean a cut and sew cloth fedora.

For fur felts, for dust/lint and general upkeep you'll want a hatbrush. Light stains can often be removed by a hat sponge. There are commercial products available (Scout seems to be a popular brand) as well. Eventually, the hat will need to a full clean and re-block which should be done by a hat shop or custom hatter (Optimo, cleanahat.com, etc, etc)

vickig444

New in Town
I have no information on this hat, any help with name, age or other information would be appreciated. thanks so much.

z832.jpg
500l.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Fairly modern Stetson, probably 80's or so. Check to see if there's a tag under the sweat which will have the model name. Otherwise, it's really anyone's guess as to what it's called.

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
Jaxon C Crown Brim Question

Been eyeing up a Jaxon C Crown to hold me over until I can afford fur felt, but had a question about the brim. A few comments and some customer images on Village Hat Shop mention that opposed to the snap brim the hat is pictured with in its stock photo, in the flesh the brim is actually completely flat with no shape. Can any Jaxon C Crown owners on here weigh in on this?

EDIT: Admin, thanks for the thread merge. Still new around here.

Last edited:

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Around three weeks ago I won an ebay auction for a Mallory (probably late 50s) that looked pretty good in the photos. Like most auctions I bid on, I am usually the only one bidding. As I wear a 56 / 7 - I'm fortunate that there aren't a lot of people out there competing with me. When the hat arrived, it appeared that it had never been worn. One of the unusual things was no odor whatsoever - so it must have been kept in a very dry place. But the sweat, though never used, was dried out. So off to Art it went, and now it's on its way back home with a new sweat, ready for another 55 years of service.

My question - where did Mallory sit in terms of quality?

EmreYOrhan

New in Town
I bought a cheap one a few months ago, for approximately 15 dollars, I don't like the way they look

This looks like the one I own:

wholesale-fedora-hats-SH8bk.jpg

The hat below is the fedora of my favorite actor, he has plenty fedoras, he is an actor, so it is definitely an expensive one (has a few of Stetson's). Does any of you know what kind of fedora this is? see the pics below.

30t12wy.jpg

57192c161c6b11e28ed022000a1fbc58_7.jpg

2115b2fc319611e291d612313804ecc1_7.jpg

0633a5ae489b11e2ac5022000a9f18b3_7.jpg

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
This link regarding the replacement of a ribbon hatband was included in an e-mail I received from Hats Direct/The Hattery yesterday. There are probably other ways to do it, but this seems fairly simple.

How-to-make-a-bow-quot-TUTORIAL-by-FORTINO37/page2

Oh and making a hat band might look simple but there is an art too it. The way one works the iron and thread can be a magical thing.
Look thru [URL="http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?13023-Art-Fawcett-VS-Hall-of-Fame]Art-Fawcett-VS-Hall-of-Fame[/URL]

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Around three weeks ago I won an ebay auction for a Mallory (probably late 50s) that looked pretty good in the photos. Like most auctions I bid on, I am usually the only one bidding. As I wear a 56 / 7 - I'm fortunate that there aren't a lot of people out there competing with me. When the hat arrived, it appeared that it had never been worn. One of the unusual things was no odor whatsoever - so it must have been kept in a very dry place. But the sweat, though never used, was dried out. So off to Art it went, and now it's on its way back home with a new sweat, ready for another 55 years of service.

My question - where did Mallory sit in terms of quality?

Mallory was one of the top brands of hats for years.
Look thru THE-MALLORY-MILE.
Then Stetson bought the brand and the quality went down.:(

...Oh and making a hat band might look simple but there is an art too it. The way one works the iron and thread can be a magical thing...
Sorry, I meant the procedure seemed simple. I'm sure achieving results like Art Fawcett's and all of the other professional hatters is anything but simple without practice, experience, and an artistic eye.

EmreYOrhan

New in Town
I bought a cheap one a few months ago, for approximately 15 dollars, I don't like the way they look

This looks like the one I own:

wholesale-fedora-hats-SH8bk.jpg

The hat below is the fedora of my favorite actor, he has plenty fedoras, he is an actor, so it is definitely an expensive one (has a few of Stetson's). Does any of you know what kind of fedora this is? see the pics below.

30t12wy.jpg

57192c161c6b11e28ed022000a1fbc58_7.jpg

2115b2fc319611e291d612313804ecc1_7.jpg

0633a5ae489b11e2ac5022000a9f18b3_7.jpg

anyone?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Its also not easy to make out any details when you presen pictures with double exposures and taken as reflections off glass.

We can tell you it's a stingy brim hat, that's black. Without detailed pics, that's about the most we can say.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At a guess the brim width is probably 1 7/8", 1 1/2" ribbon and probably a crown around 4" - but it's guesswork based on poor images...

EmreYOrhan

New in Town
The problem is that your movie star pic. Is not showing up. So we don't know who the "movie star " is. If I had a name I could help you better.

The other users were able to see the pics, still appreciate the reply, as for the name of the actor, it's Milo Ventimiglia.

Its also not easy to make out any details when you presen pictures with double exposures and taken as reflections off glass.

We can tell you it's a stingy brim hat, that's black. Without detailed pics, that's about the most we can say.

These were basically the only ones I could find, but thanks anyway :)

At a guess the brim width is probably 1 7/8", 1 1/2" ribbon and probably a crown around 4" - but it's guesswork based on poor images...

Great, thanks for the effort.

Looks like Art Carney's Norton hat to me...

Thank you for replying

XB234C

New in Town
Hat Question

I am torn between the following hats:

108.jpg

http://www.millerhatstore.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=270

DF9103-1-600x600.jpg

http://www.millerhatstore.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=293

I guess my question is what is the difference between Fur Felt and Fur Felt "with a smooth finish"?

I am leaning toward the grey hat but with the "smooth finish" I fear it will look "velvety" or "hip hoppish" and that
is not a look I am going for. Thanks. Links are provided in case pics don't pan out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran