Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Not sure what hip hop has to do with anything...

The felt is finished differently to give a different look. To my eyes, the grey 'smooth finish' looks a bit more velourish than the non-smooth finish.

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
I don't think you have to worry about it looking "velvety". I have an Akubra Stylemaster which looks very similar to the second hat. The felt is just smooth. Not velvety.

It's hard to say from the pictures, but they probably both have the same finish. I'd guess they were just more descriptive with one than with the other.

XB234C

New in Town
I don't think you have to worry about it looking "velvety". I have an Akubra Stylemaster which looks very similar to the second hat. The felt is just smooth. Not velvety.

It's hard to say from the pictures, but they probably both have the same finish. I'd guess they were just more descriptive with one than with the other.

Thanks, wish I could see the hats in person, it's hard to tell from online pictures.

bid kahuna

New in Town
Supplier info needed for particular style of cheap military cap

Hello everyone! I know most of the posts on this forum are regarding much more expensive and stylish headwear but I have searched the web in vain for information about these specific caps.

I found them on eBay from a company called Marathon Sportswear and I bought the olive and navy colors in large for $10 each including postage, but the black and khaki were not available. Those were the colors I really wanted.

The company says they are selling them below cost and they will not be restocking. They were not at all cooperative in giving me the name of their supplier or in doing a special order for me. I have looked for hours and not seen these caps anywhere else online. They are much "cooler" looking than the typical "Castro" style cadet cap. They look a little like a subdued version of the German WW2 M 43 field cap without the nasty Nazi stigma attached. Each cap has a complimenting camouflage lining so you could reverse them if you really wanted.

Does anyone know where I could get these caps or failing that, is there any place that could custom make me a copy, and how much do you think it would cost?

This is my Paint rendition of the tag in the hat. No brand name, just a black tag with the logo. The reverse says only "60% cotton 40% polyester made in China"
logo_zpsd3b8934e.jpg

Here are the caps:

Khaki
khaki_zps15217c7d.jpg

Black
black_zps8df4aaa5.jpg

Navy
blue_zps8c737552.jpg

Olive
olive_zpsadef217a.jpg

I would be very happy if someone could help me out. I am kind of obsessed right now with finding the khaki and black colors in large size.

Thanks very much!

Fisherman

New in Town
What do you think of this cheap hat?

Hi,

I need a new hat. Can't afford much so what do you think of this one? Jaxon C-Crown Brown 7 1/2.

Looks like something that I could wear with anything from casual to a suit. I'll probably get rid of the feather but a couple of people have said that they like feathers on a hat. I like the brim on this one. A small brimmed hat wouldn't look good on me.

So, opinions and suggestions are welcome! :)

Hard to tell from the pic, but if you like it, that's all that matters. Crushable felts are convenient for traveling as well. As for the feather...I like feathers in my hats, though that one seems rather large. The feather should be an accent, not a showpiece. But again, could be the picture.

Fisherman

New in Town
Hard to tell from the pic, but if you like it, that's all that matters. Crushable felts are convenient for traveling as well. As for the feather...I like feathers in my hats, though that one seems rather large. The feather should be an accent, not a showpiece. But again, could be the picture.

I thought the same about the feather. Maybe it could be cut down.

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
Does anyone have experience shaping new hats. I really like old open roads and stratoliners but cannot find one in my size 7.5. I have been looking for quite some time. I am considering getting a new open road but I really do not want the side dents that the open road comes with, I just want the center crease only which many of the vintage ones have, or even when the old ones have the side dents, the material is old and easily shape-able. The new hats seem really stiff and I am not sure if I will be able to remove the dents from one if I get it. Any help would be appreciated.

job

One Too Many
I would recommend the Akubra Campdraft Bob1215. Akubra made the Open road for the Ausse market back in the day then later changed the name to the Campdraft. It comes with an open crown and you can shape it however you want. The modern Open road has a shorter more tapered crown than the vintage ones and I probably would not want to get it wet. I have heard of some of them having the felt bubble up after getting wet.

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
Hello,
thanks for the information. I have never heard of those hats before. I just checked them out on the hatsdirect website and they look pretty nice. Do you know how they are in terms of quality and feel etc.

Hello,
thanks for the information. I have never heard of those hats before. I just checked them out on the hatsdirect website and they look pretty nice. Do you know how they are in terms of quality and feel etc.
You can also find more specific information about the Campdraft in the Akubra Campdraft thread; a lot to read, but the information in that thread should answer any questions you might have.

Edit: D'oh! Landman edited his post while I was typing mine. :eusa_doh:

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
thanks for the information, I would have responded sooner but I spent most of the day looking at the threads you guys suggested. I am now ready to order the Campdraft, I am just trying to decide on the silverbelly or taupe fawn. I cannot believe I was not aware of these until now. It looks like it is exactly what I have been looking for. I have been searching for vintage open roads and stratoliners for well over a year and only found one in a 7 1/2 which I bought on ebay, its a Stevens open road in light gray. There are dozens of 7 and 7 1/8s every week but my size is almost impossible to find. The EA site says orders will take 3 months, the hats direct site does not give an estimate but I am assuming the wait will be just as long. Thanks again for the information.

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
you are correct I emailed hats direct earlier and they do have the taupe fawn hat in my size, however after some thought and measurements I decided to go with the Sydney. I have an old Stevens open road and I compared the crown and brim sizes of the CD to the Stevens and found that the CD is a bit larger in both areas. I wear these hats with a center crease only no dents or pinch and this style can start to look a little too western for me if the crown and brim are too big. The Stevens I have is about as big as I can handle. The Sydney seems to be closer to the measurements of a Stratoliner which I think is a little bit smaller than the OR, a 2 1/2 inch brim is just about perfect for me. Thanks.

Charles_Company

New in Town
Does anyone know whether you can buy the fedora ribbon that goes around the fedora directly from Akubra? if not are there any good places within Australia where you can purchase hat ribbon similar to the one that goes around the Akubra Fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy