Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
And, Mokuba makes proper silk ribbon for binding the edges of Derbies, Bowlers, and Top Hats. Nobody else makes the right silk ribbon, and rayon/cotton isn't quite the same for that purpose.

Brad

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Been workin on applying some ribbon.....man that is much harder than I imagined! VERY frustrated. Using some modern ribbon right now and glad I did because I have gone through a lot of ribbon lol

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I found that out!!! :) but as I said it is practice that will be valuable down the road that is why I did not buy super-expensive vintage ribbon...just using stuff I bought at a fabric store.

John Galt

Vendor
I found that out!!! :) but as I said it is practice that will be valuable down the road that is why I did not buy super-expensive vintage ribbon...just using stuff I bought at a fabric store.

The ribbon may be your problem. You might have better results with vintage ribbon. It's got more substance & lays better IMHO.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

SevenandaQuarter

New in Town
Hat Identification - Southern Baptist Homburg?

Can anyone tell me what sort of hat this is? It is worn by the character 'Scratch', played by the late Robert Judd, in the 1986 film 'Crossroads'. One suggestion from a hat shop in the UK has been that it is a 'Southern Baptist Homburg', but searching on that doesn't bring up anything. Any help will be very much appreciated.

I can't see how to insert an image from my hard drive, only from the web. In this picture they are all wearing hats - it's the hat in the centre I'm interested in.

http://br.web.img1.acsta.net/r_640_600/b_1_d6d6d6/medias/nmedia/18/91/91/28/20174512.jpg

Many thanks if you can help.

Steve

20174512.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SevenandaQuarter

New in Town
Hi, thanks for your reply, and the two links. Some very nice hats there. I'm impressed with the very large range of stylish hats available in the USA.

The hat I'm interested in doesn't have a pinch. I've added another photo that I hope shows this better. Can it still be a Fedora without a pinch?

Steve

photostream

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The hat I'm interested in doesn't have a pinch. I've added another photo that I hope shows this better. Can it still be a Fedora without a pinch?

You have put an address (URL) to a webpage into an IMG-tag. That won't work. The address must be the address of an image ;)

10912152026_eb38beab78.jpg

The black hat in question is a fedora - not a homburg. I think that the original definition of a fedora is something like: "A fairly wide brimmed felt hat with some kind of a crease in the top of the crown - and some kind of a pinch on each side". How "fundamentalistic" you wan't to be is up to you. To me it's a fedora :)

Personally I wouldn't call Major Moore's hat a homburg either. Indeed a beautiful fedora - but not a homburg in (my understanding of) "the classic sense"

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up

You do not need to have a pinch in a fedora. The problem with most Factory made Fedora's is that they come with a pressed in Pinch or Bash that is hard to remove. A fedora without a pinch is called an open crown fedora. The open crown allows you to put your own crease in your hat and not a standardize one. Vintage fedora's came open crown.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HI, thanks for your reply. I live in the UK, so it might not be practicable, but who knows - needs must when the devil drives.

Steve

An Akubra Squatter in black would probably work fairly well. Unfortunately both of the Australian sites I'd recommend have stopped selling it in black, but for a little more one of the German sites sells it, and you won't have the random chance of import duty that way:

http://www.the-australian-way.de/Akubra-Squatter

John Galt

Vendor
It's apparently just a wide brimmed fedora, with no taper or pinch, and a center dent. It looks like it might also have a ribbon brim binding, but it does not look like a homburg to me. A good quality black felt hat along the lines of a wider brimmed Strat or OR clone would probably work just fine with the dents popped out & the brim popped up. Here's my black OR with that done.
Of course, you'd want the right hatband.

5adenyta.jpg

You might just iron the brim on a black homburg flat...

John Galt

Vendor
Here's a vintage wide-brimmed stetson Gold Medal (this one is actually midnight blue) with the dents popped out.

ynygyqyh.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I tried a search, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so...

I have a black nutria felt homburg that used to have a nice dip in the front brim. It has let go as the hat broke in, and I was hoping to get it back with some spray hat stiffener. I have never used any stiffeners before. Could I get some recommendations for sprays that would be safe for black nutria? I don't want helmet hard, just enough to give it some hold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo