Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shelton243

New in Town
mallory coast to Coast

I just purchased a Mallory Coast to coast on ebay and I would like to know what these #s mean on the tag under the inner lining. 47 472 . I just missed a open road so the same seller had this one for $ 25. , I wasn't sure what it was but I like it by the size of the brim relevant to the ribbon. the hat to my surprise is in great condition , a solid 9.5 out of 10. It doe seem to be a little faded, I believe a light cleaning will bring the color (chocolate) back . I would really like to know about these #'s or the year of the hat.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Can anyone ID this "Grande Mode" Cap?

here's hoping some of you knowledgeable hattists can cast a light on the origin of the cap currently under discussion here.......

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?75481-Synthetic-fibres-in-occupied-europe

.....pre-war in style with a great 1920s-40s era label -but made from a wool/synthetic mix which shouts post-war. It came from Bulgaria and the obvious explanation is that it is "communist traditionalist", but the label sure look pre-war French, which made me wonder if it is WW2 Euro-ersatz. Here's a taster:

DSCN1263.JPG 7.JPG DSCN1257.JPG

please post replies in the original thread, we don't want to have two versions of the same thread running concurrently!

SR-71

New in Town
Question on vtg resistol Diamond Horseshoe

I won this hat a while back on the bay... But it has no "X" markings in it but it is soft and supple. Western store thinks likely 20-25 "X" quality. Brim was very stiff, but crown is nice and soft. Any ideas on age?

Great hat... Just had it reshaped with a teardrop crown. No. New pics yet... Wife is giving it to me as a Christmas gift.

A couple of pics from the auction are below. The satin liner is stitched in... Something I had not seen before. I am new at this, so bear with me please.

Thanks!

4802a8376af9797aa38ec819d1650be4.jpg

4bf81c6bb39d562dc77216ec417fc39a.jpg

b06deed75adcaec8591b65ec6c0a6e14.jpg

SR-71

New in Town
I have no idea if there is beaver in it or not, but it is softer than my Black Gold (20X Beaver) and shapes very easily. It may be a precursor to the Diamond Horseshoe 110 and the 15 and 20X Diamond Horseshoe hats of more recent times... But based on the box it came in, I thought this may be from the 70s. Has a really tall crown also.

Thanks for any input! Just trying to learn more on these hats of all types. ;)

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
Sorry :eek:fftopic: but I am getting really annoyed being timed out on here every 5 seconds..........:crazy: Whats up with this??

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Ok I have a question. I really like my akubra fed 4 heritage grade, and I have not worn it that much in the last few months. I decided I would try to shrink it ever so slightly so I do not have to wear it with as much of the foam sizing tape. I tried leaving it in my car for a few days and I guess my window tints are so severe that it did not make a difference on the hat at all.

I tried dabbing some water around the inside sweatband and placing it on a lamp for 25 minutes and no difference.

Thoughts?

Also as a side question could someone link me as to what people use for felt strips? All I could find seem to be for furniture.

Last edited:

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Ok I have a question. I really like my akubra fed 4 heritage grade, and I have not worn it that much in the last few months. I decided I would try to shrink it ever so slightly so I do not have to wear it with as much of the foam sizing tape. I tried leaving it in my car for a few days and I guess my window tints are so severe that it did not make a difference on the hat at all.

I tried dabbing some water around the inside sweatband and placing it on a lamp for 25 minutes and no difference.

Thoughts?

I do believe that this was brought up on the Fed IV thread... From what I've read, the Fed IV deluxe doesn't shrink that much unlike the Imperial grade FedIV standard...

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
So in other words it is very resilient to shrinking. Honestly it fits fine, and tight enough with the foam pads I put in, but for some reason I think the foam gets crushed making it easy for the hat to fall off. I see online people saying how they rode a bike with their hat or other and I find myself struggling with my hat if there is a slight wind.

Maybe the best solution is the felt pads, and next time order down a size.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So in other words it is very resilient to shrinking. Honestly it fits fine, and tight enough with the foam pads I put in, but for some reason I think the foam gets crushed making it easy for the hat to fall off. I see online people saying how they rode a bike with their hat or other and I find myself struggling with my hat if there is a slight wind.

Maybe the best solution is the felt pads, and next time order down a size.

You could try cutting strips of felt from the sort of square that you pick up at craft shops. If you want an adhesive option the draught-excluder foam Hatsdirect supply seems to work okay, I've also seen people use the fluffy piece from the two part strips of velcro you can pick up from dressmaking/household supply shops.

Personally in order to wear a broadish brimmed hat in strongish winds I'd have to have it so tight it would be uncomfortable. If it's very windy I swap to a stingy, bowler or cap. Some people prefer a hat to be snugger than I'm comfortable with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24