Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Galt

Vendor
Question:

Did anyone actually see LuvMyMan post a link to a live auction?

Does a gentlemen speak rudely to a lady in public?

Is it ruder to make an error in etiquette or to publicly point out someone else's inadvertent rudeness?

Does a gentleman stand idly by and watch a lady publicly berated?

Is there a consistent standard of behavior?

If so, it applied consistently?

Do you stay at a bar if the bartender is rude to you?

To others in your presence?

Allows such behavior to go unchallenged?

Last edited:

Mr.Astor

Banned
Can't the auction be manipulated in both way's? It could be that someone publish's the auction because they are a prominent member and let everyone know this is mine, "lay off"! Or this is mine "and I want to get the highest dollar" I am a supporter of not allowing ebay auctions on this site!! Because it removes all doubt! You can open an etsy store or a website! That's my opinion!

B, as always, your thoughts are appreciated. I'd pull this one out for a second read:

"You could have tried asking a question without direct reference to the auction or ebay."

Let's use this thread to educate, encourage and get educated. It makes discussion more interesting and makes the place better overall, I think.

fedoracentric

Banned
Is there any question's about hat's we can get answer's to?

Edit...

I mean:

Is there any question's about hat's to which we can get answer's?

Forgot about that ending in a proposition grammer rule.

T Rick

Practically Family
Here's one for the TAR (thin a** ribbon) experts. The Stetson Open Road, and the Stetson Stratoliner. Two iconic and very popular models, and two which themselves did vary over the years. But in similar years (year's?) hats, what are specific differences between the two? (They are after all, very similar in many ways). Thoughts? Theories? Known facts?

ETA, FWIW I have a total of 6 Open Roads and 5 Stratoliners (including the new Royal Deluxe and a Milan), all varying vintages. And though I could speak in generalities, I really can't codify a good answer to the question above. I suspect there are those here who can... (but feel free to post your own observations even if you cannot).

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Here's one for the TAR (thin a** ribbon) experts. The Stetson Open Road, and the Stetson Stratoliner. Two iconic and very popular models, and two which themselves did vary over the years. But in similar years (year's?) hats, what are specific differences between the two? (They are after all, very similar in many ways). Thoughts? Theories? Known facts?

ETA, FWIW I have a total of 6 Open Roads and 5 Stratoliners (including the new Royal Deluxe and a Milan), all varying vintages. And though I could speak in generalities, I really can't codify a good answer to the question above. I suspect there are those here who can... (but feel free to post your own observations even if you cannot).
0eu9.jpg

rlwg.jpg

0e9x.jpg

The ad was from 1952,

The thread...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...een-the-Stetson-Stratoliner-and-The-Open-Road

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks RBH. Pretty sure I've read that thread before, though it's been some time. I'm now on page 10 of 15, and think so far this quote from TonyB sums it up about as well as can be done...

tonyb said:
I've heard it said that Stratoliners were of a lighter weight felt than Open Roads. I've owned four Stats (still got a couple of 'em) and a slew of Open Roads, and about all that owning those hats and reading about them has taught me for certain is that there is very little about them that can be said for certain.

A Stratoliner may more valuable than a comparable Open Road, if for no other reason than its relative scarcity (and therefore its desirability to us hat nuts).

Of course the quote was from 2008, so some things may have changed (bet he no longer has the hats he referred to). Others have not (check the sky high asking prices for Strats on the 'Bay these days).

The early 1940s Stratoliner that I own are all unlined lightweight hats - flexible and modestly priced. The mid 1950s ORs and Strats that I have owned are heavier and stiffer (though there might have been by that point a variety of weights offered). There appear to have been subtle differences in the brim width and flange. Otherwise, they are much the same hat that were differentiated in model name and marketing.

fedoracentric

Banned
Shorter and more to the point.... "marketing."

The styles, felts, weights, etc. are all over the map from era to era.

Seems to me that the early idea of the Stratoliner was that it was supposed to be a somewhat lightweight hat, that was dressy enough for a suit but also somewhat casual. Fitting for a plane where you will be restricted in carryons, weight and space to move around, etc.

But, as Alan noted, as the years went on the felt became thicker, liners were added, and the narrow, oval box went away.

But, I think we've all seen that Stetson's whole world was predicated on marketing. Everything was fluid except the goal of marketing and selling hats.

From what I have experienced, the Strats have a definitive flange difference to the ORs. I've got Royal & Royal Deluxe Strats plus varying brim widths. Compared to the Royal, Royal Deluxe, 3X, & Twenty-five OR I have or have had with varying brim widths, the Strats are flanged with more cupping to the brim than the ORs. The more pristine ORs I have inspected seem to have more shellac/stiffener to them that the Strats.
Both of these factors point to the more "western" slant of the ORs....JMHO

gleno78

New in Town
Personally, I can't wait til someone asks a hat question.

Hi there. So i have a royal stetson whippett 3/8 green of color the name Anthony horderns Sydney also written inside i was wondering the value of these particular hats in great knick. Comfort plus to wear its a great hat.

fedoracentric

Banned
Hi there. So i have a royal stetson whippett 3/8 green of color the name Anthony horderns Sydney also written inside i was wondering the value of these particular hats in great knick. Comfort plus to wear its a great hat.

It sort of depends on how old it is as it will fetch a bit more with an older model than a newer. Also, is the brim at least 2-1/2 inches? Smaller brimmed Whippets go for less. But if you really have a size 7-3/8 Whippet, with at least a 2-1/2 inch brim, with the leather sweatband solidly sewn in, and no major mothing or holes or stains, also if it was made in 1960 or before and it really is in green, yet, I think a fair estimate would be $390. It maybe could get more if a bidding war broke out were it for sale on ebay.

Again, we'd have to see it and some of the points above would have to be right.

This may help...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?60679-How-to-post-photos-here&p=1360985#post1360985<br />

Although some of the photos are unlinked. Seems like the info is there. If you still have difficulties, shout out again!

fedoracentric

Banned
You can only directly post photos here after having a certain amount of posts. You are too new to qualify for that. But if you use an outside photo hosting service like Flikr or Image Shack then post the links here, that will work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ