Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
...And if I understand the terminology and nomenclature correctly; this is a size 7 1/8 Stetson 4x Open Road in Bullet with a Cattleman crown and a rolled brim. Please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks again.

It is that and you've made it work. Nicely done.

DTQ

New in Town
You know gentlemen, I thank God every morning for making me so pretty! And now He has blessed me with this GREAT hat! I really want to thank you men, as experienced members of this forum you are really inspiring confidence in this young'un. Thanks!

Landman

One Too Many
DTQ, that hat looks great! That is exactly what I was trying to describe in my earlier post.

PS: It is not really a "rolled" brim. You have just snapped or steamed the front brim down. A rolled brim usually implies a pencil roll on the edge of the brim...at least it does to me.

Here is one of Alan's hats with a pencil rolled brim. Beautiful hat.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...son-Westerns&p=1788033&viewfull=1#post1788033

Last edited:

DTQ

New in Town
Okay I see. I was having trouble shaping the brim till I took it outside during a welcome rain. A few raindrops and the high humidity went a long way to shaping that brim the way I wanted it.

John Galt

Vendor
anyone no how they use to finish off the edge of sweatbands before reeding

If you mean sewing the ends of the sweat together, I did a "how to" in the conversion corral a while back. If you mean attaching the reeding tape, I haven't done this...

Last edited:

liten

One of the Regulars
If you mean sewing the ends of the sweat together, I did a "how to" in the conversion corral a while back. If you mean attaching the reeding tape, I haven't done this...
reed tape wasnt used until around turn of the century ,and how were 19th century sweatband finished off on the edges

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Qs regarding under welt / over welt brim edge. Is there any difference besides aesthetics as how either an under /over welt holds up when shaping the brim ? Is one better than the other in this regards?
Also is 1/4" pretty standard width of either?

John Galt

Vendor
reed tape wasnt used until around turn of the century ,and how were 19th century sweatband finished off on the edges

Oh, I understand. There is plenty of discussion here about unreeded hats (1940's is the cut-off generally, I understand), and folks with much more detailed knowledge than me, but I've seen the sweats sewn directly to the felt, or alternatively, sewn to a thin piece of leather that is sewn to the felt. I have a relatively recent Borsalino that follows the first course...

You might ask Oliver (Hatter4), who is "The 19th Century Hatter."

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Qs regarding under welt / over welt brim edge. Is there any difference besides aesthetics as how either an under /over welt holds up when shaping the brim ? Is one better than the other in this regards?
Also is 1/4" pretty standard width of either?

Scott, I've seen this done thinner than 1/4, but must defer to more knowledgeable folks re the other part of your question...

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks JG , want to try to do one if I can get a consistent width that might work but it seems like the ones I've seen were in that 1/4" range.
Congrats on your hat making equip score and becoming a vendor as well.

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks JG , want to try to do one if I can get a consistent width that might work but it seems like the ones I've seen were in that 1/4" range.
Congrats on your hat making equip score and becoming a vendor as well.

Scott,

Thanks re the purchase. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I had to jump at. As Tonyb recently said in another thread, you just can't let yourself miss those opportunities.

The Vendor thing was a Bartender decision that I'm still sorting out.

I haven't really gone pro. Like HumanShoes, at this point, I'm still just a guy with a day job trying to learn as much as he can, and making no claim to being a professional hatter.

Last edited:

Hat_question

New in Town
If I read the rules correctly, I'm supposed to post simple questions in this thread, and not start a new one...sooo...
If one or more of you fine gentlemen would help me to identify this hat, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24