Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
Thanks hatsrme, zombie, fedoracentric.
I wondered mostly about the country bashes if there was a practical explanation for them, since they mostly use them for work wear.
I guess it just evolved

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Maybe it was mostly the way people handled the hats using the crown to remove and put the hat on the head and a way to secure the hat on the head when riding fast in a horse in country/western hats?

B1ggles

Familiar Face
This got lost under subsequent posts (or maybe it's the wrong forum for it), but I'll give it another go:-

What is the correct way to raise one's hat in greeting?

I've worn hats for years without getting to grips with proper etiquette but I'm given to understand that to lift it by the pinch isn't good for it, as it will distort the crown - I certainly wore out the pinch on a few panamas over the years by doing that. Should you just raise the front of the hat an inch or so using the brim and then lower it?

I understand that to 'tip your hat' to a lady is really just to touch the brim by way of acknowledgement. Though I was interested recently when a friend told me that if a man tips his hat to another man, it is actually an insult! Is that true?

RBH

Bartender
This got lost under subsequent posts (or maybe it's the wrong forum for it), but I'll give it another go:-

What is the correct way to raise one's hat in greeting?

I've worn hats for years without getting to grips with proper etiquette but I'm given to understand that to lift it by the pinch isn't good for it, as it will distort the crown - I certainly wore out the pinch on a few panamas over the years by doing that. Should you just raise the front of the hat an inch or so using the brim and then lower it?

I understand that to 'tip your hat' to a lady is really just to touch the brim by way of acknowledgement. Though I was interested recently when a friend told me that if a man tips his hat to another man, it is actually an insult! Is that true?

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?894-All-You-Need-to-Know-About-Hat-Etiquette

There are surely people here who are far more knowledgeable than I am but, from what I've read, the hat we now know as a Fedora was traditionally given a "center dent" or "center crease" and "side dents" at the "pinch" almost from day one; certainly long before it became known as a Fedora and became popular with men.

The center crease is definitely a main defining feature. Fedora was an American marketing term used for a Euro Style soft felt style of the late 19th Century up to WWII (I have never seen Fedora used in pre WWII German or Austrian hat trade papers or advertisements). Fedora = Soft felt hat of varying stiffness, varying crown height and taper with center (sometimes called Alpine) crease (worn with or without side dents), moderate width brim with German / Euro curl and usually with edge binding, . They were very similar to the Homburg (an Anglo - American term see the hat style Edward VII brought back from Bad Homburg Germany) of the time and would be considered a Homburg like hat today.

Last edited:

billyk

New in Town
Fedora or Homburg?

20141108_204704_zps2282e35b.jpg

Hi everyone. I recently acquired this hat, and it looks to be in unworn condition. Can anyone tell me whether it's a fedora or a homburg? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

viclip

Practically Family
View attachment 20024

Hi everyone. I recently acquired this hat, and it looks to be in unworn condition. Can anyone tell me whether it's a fedora or a homburg? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'd say it's a fedora. The primary distinguishing feature of the homburg is the "smiling" brim when viewed from the front, which brim has a pronounced circumferential upturn curving in on itself, & which brim's edge is also bound with grosgrain (usually the same colored material as the band around the crown).

frussell

One Too Many
Maybe because lots of ladies wear them for SASS-style events? Looks like that whole women's section you linked to is full of men's hats as well. Don't panic.

G

Gabriel

Are Red Ribbons In Fedoras Removable?

So I've seen some fedoras (or stingy brims) with red ribbons in them. However, I'm curious to know if these are removable since the red ribbons really aren't all my taste.

thanks!

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
with red ribbons in them.

or do you mean ribbons 'on' them.

If so yep, ribbons are removable, they're usually tacked on by a few discreet stitches, simply find 'em & carefully snip. If you use the same width replacement ribbon you can re-use the original stitch holes......though rereading your post I think Hothir is right & you are indeed referring to feathers.

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
What happened to the Sticky thread link that used to be at the beginning of the list of threads?

I'm looking for the thread that lists Hat makers or Hat manufacturers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn