Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sskim3

New in Town
help with hat

So recently, I was gifted a beautiful beaver brand fur felt hat in chocolate brown. It was a size 7 and a tad too tight. I brought it to JJ Hats in the city to have them stretch it out 1/8". They were super helpful and increased the sizing in only a few minutes with steam and hat block. The hat fit great that day. Here is a pic below:

aab643b6f994a95320ce3c0f1d22a13d.jpg

Unfortunately, after that day, the hat shrunk back to it's original size. I don't have a hat block and I wanted to know the best way to stretch it out and keep it permanent.

Any help is welcome for this noob.

Thanks!

Good morning, Mr. Kim. Easy fix for you, sir! At JJ or any well stocked hat retailer you should be able to buy a Hatjack to maintain the stretch, or even give it a little nudge up if needed. About $20.

RJR

A Hatjack will do the job nicely.You'll probably need to repeat frequently OR just store the hat with the jack in place.

mactire

New in Town
Are there fuller flat caps (i.e. not slim driver/cycling caps) being made in Europe or the U.K. at all? Or are there custom makers in Europe on a par with such as the lounge members in the U.S.?

Are there fuller flat caps (i.e. not slim driver/cycling caps) being made in Europe or the U.K. at all? Or are there custom makers in Europe on a par with such as the lounge members in the U.S.?

Plenty of options around here. Keith or Johnny are great guys to start off with.

mactire

New in Town
Plenty of options around here. Keith or Johnny are great guys to start off with.

As I'm not based in the US I'd like to find options closer to me in Europe. Especially as the Euro has taken a dive against the US dollar, and I'd also be posting my own cloth to a maker to have the cap made up.

Last edited:

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Question: How to cut brims that are different widths on front/back versus widths side

Does anyone know how you can accurately cut a brim so that the front and back width of the brim is one size and the sides are different widths? From my understanding brims used to be cut this way where the sides were narrower than the front and the back but over time the hat makers went to a uniform brim width.

The Indiana Jones Fedora for example has two different widths on the brim, which is what I would like to accomplish.

Indy Fedora Specs:
Brim Front/Back: 2.75 inches
Sides: 2.625 inches

I do realize that we are only talking about 1/8" difference but I would like to add this skill to my list of hatter abilities. The transition obviously needs to be smooth and unnoticeable.

Cheers!

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Question: How are the home hatters breaking the brims on their hat bodies?

Just curious how the home hatters out there are breaking the brims on the hat bodies to get that nice 90 degree angle between the brim and the crown. I wouldn't expect many to have $7000 pieces of equipment to do this for them. I have used such equipment but personally don't own any. I would like to hear what approaches everyone is using for this.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran