Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TPD166

One Too Many
As a follow up, I have now also used a large eraser on the stain & while it has not removed it, the staining is much lighter. And after all this abuse from cleaning attempts the hat is holding up fine, but has gotten much softer.

This is likely a futile question, so maybe it is more of a cautionary tale for others. During a recent military deployment and move to a new house, most of my hats sat idle for about two years with no ill effects. But I discovered an issue with two of my straw hats last night.

I have a decent quality Panama hat with a black cloth sweat band I bought on line a few years ago. The Panama was stored by sitting it on top my shantung "straw" Stetson Open Road, which was sitting on a hat stand. Now that I am back at my civilian job, I pulled out the Stetson OR last night so I could wear it today and found a black stain around the crown from the Panama's sweat band. These hats always been stored indoors - air conditioned, no moisture. And I have never had any issues wearing the Panama in hot weather.

I first tried cleaning the shantung OR with Clorox wipes, when that didn't work, I tried Oxy-Clean spray and scrub brush - still no luck (though the stain is a little lighter). So any ideas on how I might clean the OR or should it just become my new hat for yard work? (I already ordered a replacement) I will say that I was quite impressed with how well the shantung stood up to my vigorous cleaning attempts.

TPD166

One Too Many
Thanks - I tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser today with a little success. I don't think it will come completely off, but trying to make it a better looking beater. The replacement OR arrived today.

Since the eraser had some effect, try making a paste with baking soda and work it in with a toothbrush.

RobertM

Familiar Face
Couple of questions. Been wearing fedora style hats for a dozen or so years and have recently increased the quantity as well as the frequency of wearing them. And in the warm, sunny weather particularly they serve well to add noticeable sun protection, in the winter warmth and on rainy days, absent an umbrella, may keep your head dry. Many times, however, I'm hesitant to wear them for 2 reasons - where the heck do you put them once inside - whether a restaurant, going to am indoor event - meeting, concert, play, etc. and how do you mitigate - other than getting a crewcut, the "hat/hair" effect where your hair gets flattened down, or in the summer - even with an open weave straw hat, gets wet from the heat buildup? Neither scenario leaves your hair looking like it did prior to donning the hat.
In a restaurant, I'm hoping for a table with an extra seat, but may times, that isn't feasible and I'm sometimes hesitant to hand it over to the hat check person, because many don't have a clue as how to handle a fine hat.
So, what do you guys do?

Well first, go have some fun reading through these threads:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?47367-Hats-in-restaurants

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?894-All-You-Need-to-Know-About-Hat-Etiquette

This will give you an idea of some of the struggles and solutions that have been come up with. I normally don't have too much trouble in restaurants but, as an example, I'm going to a matinee of a movie this afternoon. The hat will remain in the car, most likely. I struggle a bit with hat head, but, since my hair is pretty short, usually a wet hand rubbed through my hair does the trick.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Couple of questions. Been wearing fedora style hats for a dozen or so years and have recently increased the quantity as well as the frequency of wearing them. And in the warm, sunny weather particularly they serve well to add noticeable sun protection, in the winter warmth and on rainy days, absent an umbrella, may keep your head dry. Many times, however, I'm hesitant to wear them for 2 reasons - where the heck do you put them once inside - whether a restaurant, going to am indoor event - meeting, concert, play, etc. and how do you mitigate - other than getting a crewcut, the "hat/hair" effect where your hair gets flattened down, or in the summer - even with an open weave straw hat, gets wet from the heat buildup? Neither scenario leaves your hair looking like it did prior to donning the hat.
In a restaurant, I'm hoping for a table with an extra seat, but may times, that isn't feasible and I'm sometimes hesitant to hand it over to the hat check person, because many don't have a clue as how to handle a fine hat.
So, what do you guys do?

definitely check out the threads that Fruno pulled up

but I have the same problems as does just about everyone I assume.... not so much the hair one because I keep my hair quite short and messy even without a hat .... so I don't worry about that

but where to put the hat is always a struggle .. here are a few things I have done

of course if there is an extra chair in a restaurant that is the easy answer ...

but if not sometimes I'll use my knee... which is not all that comfortable ...

I've also been known to throw a handkerchief over the crown and put the hat upside down on the floor under my chair... not my favorite thing to do ... but in a semi clean place it's not so bad

I have also asked a maitre d if there is a safe place to tuck it ... sometimes they have a few shelves inside of those podiums they stand behind that are safe.

I have also invested in a few crushable hats for these very reasons when I know I'll be somewhere that will not have a place for my lid ... I'll roll it up and place it in a coat pocket

I hope any of this helps and I look forward to hearing other solutions

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
If there is no room, stays on my lap. If not even that, sorry it will stay on my head.
I'll not leave my hat on the car, not even when I go to the beach or swimming pool.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
If there is no room, stays on my lap. If not even that, sorry it will stay on my head.
I'll not leave my hat on the car, not even when I go to the beach or swimming pool.

Big plus one Joao. ON MY HEAD! Its all part of my ensemble... Equal hat wearing rights for women and equal hat wearing rights for me! Especially in bars/clubs and casual/cool/hip restaurants.

Last edited:

RobertM

Familiar Face
Ok, guys, here's another newbie question. What exactly is a "Milan" style hat? Is it a certain crown or brim style, material?

R

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Sinatra was a Cavanagh man, and he was photographed in various Cavanagh felts and straws throughout the Fifties and Sixties. Luckily for you, those are also the same decade for which vintage Cavanaghs are most plentiful. The brim width of his felt hats varied, but typically got narrower in the Sixties. For a good Fifties Sinatra look, search for a gray felt Cavanagh with a 2" black ribbon and 2 ¼" or 2" brim with a Cavanagh Edge. For straw it will take a bit more searching to find the right Cavanagh Milan, but you can come pretty close. You can look for Dobbs and Knox Milans as well as Cavanagh, because they were all made by Hat Corporation of America.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Sebastien Basset

New in Town
Sinatra was a Cavanagh man, and he was photographed in various Cavanagh felts and straws throughout the Fifties and Sixties. Luckily for you, those are also the same decade for which vintage Cavanaghs are most plentiful. The brim width of his felt hats varied, but typically got narrower in the Sixties. For a good Fifties Sinatra look, search for a gray felt Cavanagh with a 2" black ribbon and 2 ¼" or 2" brim with a Cavanagh Edge. For straw it will take a bit more searching to find the right Cavanagh Milan, but you can come pretty close. You can look for Dobbs and Knox Milans as well as Cavanagh, because they were all made by Hat Corporation of America.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Thanks! My "entry" into fedoras began with my Gray Sterkowski Fur Felt Fedora which has a 2 1/2" brim, and I find it looks very wide on me (I have a round face with small ears that tend to protrude a bit from my head). The fit is just right (I have a big head so finding vintage hats in my size is difficult I've found) but the brim size just seems like it is too much. Would going down to a 2" brim make a big difference as far as it looking right? Also, are there any new production fedoras (yes, I know, blasphemy) that same kind of look that the Cavanagh that Sinatra wore in the '50s? Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy