Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Generally speaking, Bob is correct in the round face + large head = wider brim... but the rules are only guidelines. Best approach in your situation might (no, DEFINITELY) be to head on in to the retail hat store in LA and try on a bunch of various lids. The sales staff should also be helpful. Once you determine your "look," you'll be more comfortable (and successful) buying hats. My suggestion at that point, if you don't find a suitable off-the-shelf lid; get a custom. Good luck, and have fun!!

Sebastien Basset

New in Town
Generally speaking, Bob is correct in the round face + large head = wider brim... but the rules are only guidelines. Best approach in your situation might (no, DEFINITELY) be to head on in to the retail hat store in LA and try on a bunch of various lids. The sales staff should also be helpful. Once you determine your "look," you'll be more comfortable (and successful) buying hats. My suggestion at that point, if you don't find a suitable off-the-shelf lid; get a custom. Good luck, and have fun!!

That is my dilemma. Before purchasing my current fedora, I looked into the shape/width/et cetera that would work for my head/face, and went with the 2 1/2" brim, yet the hat just looks so wide on me. Here's a picture of me wearing it so I can get some expert opinions (perhaps my analysis of my face is wrong?), I may just be overthinking it but I do feel that it is just too wide for me. Sorry for poor quality/lighting.

20150724_112233.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
That is my dilemma. Before purchasing my current fedora, I looked into the shape/width/et cetera that would work for my head/face, and went with the 2 1/2" brim, yet the hat just looks so wide on me. Here's a picture of me wearing it so I can get some expert opinions (perhaps my analysis of my face is wrong?), I may just be overthinking it but I do feel that it is just too wide for me. Sorry for poor quality/lighting.

View attachment 32861

No problem there. You'll get used to it. If u think its overwhelming your face just tilt the hat just a tiny wee bit back on your head and angle it to the side ever so slightly. You're right, it's all a matter of perspective.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There were also a ton of Milans produced by other companies which will get you pretty close to the Sinatra hat. It shouldn't be hard to get a white silk pug to re-band a hat either. If you keep an eye on eBay, you might get lucky. I got this Supernatural Milan on eBay for a song, and it's my "Sinatra hat."

Sebastien Basset

New in Town
No problem there. You'll get used to it. If u think its overwhelming your face just tilt the hat just a tiny wee bit back on your head and angle it to the side ever so slightly. You're right, it's all a matter of perspective.

I figured I was probably just looking at it wrong. Do you think a 2" brim one would still work given my facial/cranial proportions (I really like some of them I'm seeing online)? I find that this fedora works better with my double-breasted suit and I'd like to try and get something that can be a little more everyday (as well as one that won't break the bank), not sure if a shorter brim will make any difference though.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I think you'll find that a 2 ¼" or even 2" brim will work a lot better on you, especially for a Sinatra look. And I'm not going to recommend any modern hats, because they don't come with the Cavanagh Edge and that's an essential part of the hat to give up. Go vintage.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Jared that Milan is beyond incredible!! Looks like you're at a yard sale in the photo...

And again, Mr. Basset, Bob Roberts is correct (IMO)... "If u think its overwhelming your face just tilt the hat just a tiny wee bit back on your head and angle it to the side ever so slightly." You wear the hat, not the other way around! TRY IT!!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I figured I was probably just looking at it wrong. Do you think a 2" brim one would still work given my facial/cranial proportions (I really like some of them I'm seeing online)? I find that this fedora works better with my double-breasted suit and I'd like to try and get something that can be a little more everyday (as well as one that won't break the bank), not sure if a shorter brim will make any difference though.

My personal jury is still out on big round faces and short brims... and being a relative "newbie" myself and I too, not having alot of "disposible" income would def not fck aroun on Ebay. Its a crap shoot and u can get burned if your inexperienced and don't the ins and outs. Follow previous advice and go to a good shop and try on some different hats. What works for "Frank" doesn't always work for me... :)

...Best approach in your situation might (no, DEFINITELY) be to head on in to the retail hat store in LA and try on a bunch of various lids...
There's a decent retail hat store in L.A.??? :shocked:

View attachment 32861
A hat with a slightly narrower brim might be more to your liking, but I would also suggest you look at hats with crowns that have little or no taper, which in my opinion would suit the shape of your face better.

Sebastien Basset

New in Town

A hat with a slightly narrower brim might be more to your liking, but I would also suggest you look at hats with crowns that have little or no taper, which in my opinion would suit the shape of your face better.

After some looking, I am beginning to agree, a hat with little or no taper and a 2" brim might well work better for me, I have been enthralled by the Stetson Mercury, but I can't seem to find a good picture of it from the front to see if the taper (or lack thereof) is to my liking, from what I have seen, it is pretty similar to the Cavanagh Sinatra wore in the 50s that I have been looking to get something similar to, although I could just be seeing what I want to see.

Sebastien Basset

New in Town
Perhaps a follow-up would be to ask if I should look into straight crown fedoras as opposed to (A?) tapered crown fedoras? I may have ventured too far out of my 1930s/1940s comfort zone looking for something a little stingier-brimmed, I far prefer the 1940s aesthetic as opposed to the 1950s/60s aesthetic that the stingier brims give off. If what I have (in the picture I posted earlier) works for my face/head shape and is appropriate for use with a suit as well as wear at a baseball game, then I will happily not set aside $100+ to get a new one (at least for the time being that is).

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

+1. Little or no taper.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps a follow-up would be to ask if I should look into straight crown fedoras as opposed to (A?) tapered crown fedoras? I may have ventured too far out of my 1930s/1940s comfort zone looking for something a little stingier-brimmed, I far prefer the 1940s aesthetic as opposed to the 1950s/60s aesthetic that the stingier brims give off. If what I have (in the picture I posted earlier) works for my face/head shape and is appropriate for use with a suit as well as wear at a baseball game, then I will happily not set aside $100+ to get a new one (at least for the time being that is).

Stetson Mercury in "saddle" color is a nice lookin hat. LOVE! that color. (I wish they made the Stetsonian in that color!) Ps. BTW, you can have MORE than one hat... I njoy wearing 2 inch brims (my smallest) and 3 inch brims, (my largest.) And I do believe you are overthinking. That hat you had on fits your face quite nicely!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
There were also a ton of Milans produced by other companies which will get you pretty close to the Sinatra hat. It shouldn't be hard to get a white silk pug to re-band a hat either. If you keep an eye on eBay, you might get lucky. I got this Supernatural Milan on eBay for a song, and it's my "Sinatra hat."

Kid! BTW, You got the best hats. Every hat I've seen u in looks just incredible. No lie.

RobertM

Familiar Face
Speaking of appropriate sized brims and crowns, I feel this 3" brim is about 1/4" too wide for my liking. Forgive the quickly and poorly shot pic, but is there a place to get the brim trimmed down to a slightly smaller width? It's a relatively inexpensive USA made Orivs hat ~ $90.00, but if its too much coin to amend, it's going to be returned. No sense having a hat that just ain't working.

034.JPG

Well, Alex, I'm not from around there, but Hollywood Hatters on Melrose, or Baron Hats, actually in beautiful downtown Burbank are relatively local, aren't they? If they are still in business, would those stores fill the bill as a place to go see, feel, and try on hats? I've never been to either store, but the online presence seems to make me think they have a nice selection to peruse.

Moreover, other custom hatters in the L.A area don't seem quite as classically mainstream in their offerings, but they must also be acknowledged, IMO.

Last edited:

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Robert, my first fedoras were 2 to 2 1/4 inch brims. I felt like I was wearing a beach umbrella at 2 1/2. Now I feel like I'm wearing a bottle cap at 2 3/8. My eye says the hat looks good as is. Give it a little time.

Tom D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy