Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I've looked and looked for an answer to this, but have failed to find an answer. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I've found someone who has hats from estates in 7 5/8 . I'm a 7 5/8 xlo. If I bought one (Ha! That's like the myth of "a beer") would it be feasible to reshape a non-xlo 7 5/8 to my noggin...or should I go up/down a size?

It's possible to reshape it , but it would probably be easier (being an estate , it has shrunk I'm sure) to go up a size . JMHO But I've stretched back to size shrunk Hats and I'm LO , you can get the shape .

Bigger Don

Practically Family
It's possible to reshape it , but it would probably be easier (being an estate , it has shrunk I'm sure) to go up a size . JMHO But I've stretched back to size shrunk Hats and I'm LO , you can get the shape .
Thanks for the hint re going up a size. I can always use the old dollars in-in-the-band trick if I that 7 3/4 is really 7 3/4.

Bugleboy10

New in Town
tilted sideways, up, or down?
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Thanks for the hint re going up a size. I can always use the old dollars in-in-the-band trick if I that 7 3/4 is really 7 3/4.

No, PLEASE don't do that!! Especially in felt hats, you will still generally be best fitted by a true 7-5/8, which will conform to your noggin. Not so much with straws, as you may know. With Panamas especially, if you put a standard oval hat onto a LO or XLO head, the brim will "wonk" up on the sides; that is get wavy, and can be fixed by proper flanging, or somewhat fixed by the method shown on the Panama Hats Direct website.

But please, PLEASE don't take a (rare) vintage 7-3/4 away from someone who needs that size. We fatheads don't have the option of getting the smaller lids and padding. There are many more 7-5/8 than 7-3/4 (probably 10 to 1, if the Ebay listings are any indication) and you will have other options in time.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
No, PLEASE don't do that!! Especially in felt hats, you will still generally be best fitted by a true 7-5/8, which will conform to your noggin. Not so much with straws, as you may know. With Panamas especially, if you put a standard oval hat onto a LO or XLO head, the brim will "wonk" up on the sides; that is get wavy, and can be fixed by proper flanging, or somewhat fixed by the method shown on the Panama Hats Direct website.

But please, PLEASE don't take a (rare) vintage 7-3/4 away from someone who needs that size. We fatheads don't have the option of getting the smaller lids and padding. There are many more 7-5/8 than 7-3/4 (probably 10 to 1, if the Ebay listings are any indication) and you will have other options in time.
Oh, sure ... after all the guffawing and snickering by certain posters about how hats will be my financial ruin I'm supposed to get all gooey and ethical.

Here's the deal ... I'll ask my contact if the hats have been measured or if he's just going by what the hat says.

Hmmm, now I'm thinking about browsing local estate auctions for hats. I am in so much trouble!

tilted sideways, up, or down?

Down and tilted sideways.

Sideways, of course. "Angles are attitudes," said Mr. Sinatra

"Hattitude."

Oh, sure ... after all the guffawing and snickering by certain posters about how hats will be my financial ruin I'm supposed to get all gooey and ethical.

Here's the deal ... I'll ask my contact if the hats have been measured or if he's just going by what the hat says.

Hmmm, now I'm thinking about browsing local estate auctions for hats. I am in so much trouble!

Dude, now you're talkin' about my turf! :D

(I'll let you know if I find any 7 5/8, if you let me know about any 7 1/4s)

The last thing you should do is get all gooey and ethical, especially if it's out of character. Around here, we let you be you, no judgments. Just thought I'd wave the flag of the plight of the melon head.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
You're really in trouble when your browsing estate sale ads from locations far away where you know fellow loungers in the area might go and pick up a hat for you.
I thought real trouble would be going a couple-three hundred miles, staying in a hotel, etc just for the few minutes any hats might be on the block...and getting distracted by something else I "need."

New deal...if I find a true 7 3/4 I'll let you know.

I'm only allowed to place one "like" here, but there would be more if I could!!!! Thanks, Don!! And I'll keep the ol' eyes peeled for those almost-as-hard-to-find 7-5/8 LOs. I'm somewhere between a LO and an XLO, somewhere just between 7-3/4 and 7-7/8. See my problem?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy