Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levallois

Practically Family

So i’ve Been trying to educate myself on how to place an age on hats and I got this Stetson. Here’s how I see it. Please feel free to critique/grade my work. It’s got the leaf rather than the stars near the beaver so post 1950. It’s got the “last drop liner”so post late 1940s. It’s got the clear plastic cover over the liner so post mid-1940s. It’s got the size tag with black. Lettering over Manila stock so post 1942-late 50s. If these assumptions are good then all this suggests 1950s? Anyway to narrow that a bit? What say yee? Thanks.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
50's hat

and this probably doesn't need it's own thread

bartenders will soon move it to Ask A Question ... most likely ... maybe put stuff like this there in the future

Levallois

Practically Family
Ok, thanks. Will direct these kinds of questions to Ask a question from now on.

Also, found a $20.00 price tag which probably also means 1950s?

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Question on Dimensions of OR/OR Clones Vintage vs Modern

Found some conflicting info on the forum, trying to get a feel for the dimensions of a Vintage Stetson OR or Clone vs Modern ORs

Is Brim Width 2 3/4"? Also the open crown height/block type would be useful (e.g. tapered/straight etc). Thanks in advance (mostly interested in what the "vintage" specs are)

Levallois

Practically Family
I don't have a photo of the price tag yet but probably doesn't matter - see below.

I guess that I should have looked up the store that sold this first - would have saved some work. Store was called "The Hub, Thisteds, Great Falls." The Hub has been around since 19th century but it was only called "The Hub, Thisteds" starting in 1956 and then the store shut down in 1964. So my hat was purchased between 1956 and 1964. A fairly tight timeframe.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Hey quick question I'm new here and looking to own my first fedora. I've been eyeing the Stetson temple for quite some time, but I was curious as to the difference between a 2 and 5/8 brim vs a 2 and 1/2 brim. I would love to see photos. Also what brim size is most in line with the 1930's-1940's?
GC, the Temple in the '90s, when I first began wearing and collecting felts, was my go-to hat. They were (and I hope still are) a pretty good value. I had a mink brown, a cream, and the two I still own, a nougat (kind of a reddish caramel color) and a silver-gray. Stetson still makes the brown, I think, as well as black and medium gray (caribou), and maybe some others.

I'm only a little taller than you are, and I've found the taller, squarer crowns and moderate brims, say up to 2 5/8 like the Temple, of vintage hats suit me just fine.

Here's Meyer the Hatter's website, and the Temple on it: https://meyerthehatter.com/shop-by-...ts/stetson-temple-felt-hat-tftmpl-temple.html Hm, more colors than I thought.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
If you check out NorthWest Hats facebook page and scroll through the hat pics you will come across two of Mike's Indy versions. I own 6 of Mike's creations (alas no Indy) and have just ordered a seventh. He does stellar work and IMHO is waaay underpriced for the value he delivers.
Shhh! He might hear you!

Agreed. My custom "The Colfax" hat from Mike, modeled on a beater of mine, came out beautifully and fit right out of the box.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
vintage hats from the major companies rarely say "fur felt"

you knew by the price and manufacturer what you were getting even if you didn't know their exact formula
A few years ago I picked up a Resistol dress fedora online. The seller thought it was wool, but I couldn't imagine that Resistol would have marketed a wool hat without marking it as such. And it proved to be fur felt.

tracyam

One of the Regulars
Hello all. Pardon me if this is not the correct Forum for this question. I've been practicing photography and trying to develop an artistic side over the last 11 months. Right now I'm trying to branch out to things besides birds, bugs, buildings, etc. Does anyone have any artistic hat or cap photos (prefer the hats not being worn) they could share or direct me to? I'm thinking stuff like old fedora on a wooden surface, cool light and shadows bouncing off a crown or brim, or a beat up hat shown in a beautiful way?

Please note: I'm not looking for Photoshopped stuff like in the thread below. Though that was pretty cool.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Question on Dimensions of OR/OR Clones Vintage vs Modern

Found some conflicting info on the forum, trying to get a feel for the dimensions of a Vintage Stetson OR or Clone vs Modern ORs

Is Brim Width 2 3/4"? Also the open crown height/block type would be useful (e.g. tapered/straight etc). Thanks in advance (mostly interested in what the "vintage" specs are)

The Miller Stockman catalog thread may be of interest to you:
Miller-Stockman Catalogs

Brim widths do vary by year and quality:
wro008c.jpg

wro009.jpg

Hello all. Pardon me if this is not the correct Forum for this question. I've been practicing photography and trying to develop an artistic side over the last 11 months. Right now I'm trying to branch out to things besides birds, bugs, buildings, etc. Does anyone have any artistic hat or cap photos (prefer the hats not being worn) they could share or direct me to? I'm thinking stuff like old fedora on a wooden surface, cool light and shadows bouncing off a crown or brim, or a beat up hat shown in a beautiful way?

Please note: I'm not looking for Photoshopped stuff like in the thread below. Though that was pretty cool.
Check out alley cat hat thread here. Bolthead does stunning hat pics

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
tie question gents

I wear a tie maybe 2 or 3 times a year ... have a wedding this Sat. and have a question

is there a certain knot that is more appropriate for an evening wedding ... say opposed to business or a more casual daytime wedding ?

looking forward to hearing from you guys

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
tie question gents

I wear a tie maybe 2 or 3 times a year ... have a wedding this Sat. and have a question

is there a certain knot that is more appropriate for an evening wedding ... say opposed to business or a more casual daytime wedding ?

looking forward to hearing from you guys
I'm a big fan of the 4-in-hand knot

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
tie question gents

I wear a tie maybe 2 or 3 times a year ... have a wedding this Sat. and have a question is there a certain knot that is more appropriate for an evening wedding ... say opposed to business or a more casual daytime wedding ?s

Anthony; Opinion: The Full Windsor is formal and goes well with longer (more fabric is required to tie the tie) and wider ties. It is suited for more formal occasions and with even with the dreaded spread collared shirts my wife bought for me years ago. An added benefit for shorter me is that it uses up more tie so that the length is more appropriate for off the rack ties. Vintage ties I use half Windsor as it is more gentle on the material. Custom ties - half Windsor.

Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy