Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
As Daniele answered on the Borsalino forum thread, likely U.S. But more photos are needed to confirm. The full sweatband imprint of the Borsalino mark will show whether the hat was made for sale in Italy or for export. A store imprint on the opposite side of the sweat and photo of the manufacturing tag under the sweat would help as well. And a measurement of the head opening would be definitive.

Thanks. The seller isn't responsive and I don't have much to go on. If the liner is in English an/or the sweatband stamp is in English can I assume it is at least not punti sizing?

IMG_6640.JPG
Do they come in different lengths? I've always thought neckties were a "one size fits all" wardrobe item, and that it was up to the wearer to determine how long or short to tie them.

boze

One of the Regulars
Okay, I used a Speedy Stitcher awl and installed the new sweat on that old mystery brand western. Had to try twice because I stitched too close to the edge the first time and didn't notice until I finished.

Two questions:

1) What type of replacement ribbon do you recommend?

2) Do folks have a good size for an awl needle they like? I'm glad this first try was on a thrifted hat because the Speedy awl needle was too fat and I'm not comfortable with the big holes it punched in the felt. Made for leather I'd imagine. The waxed thread was pretty easy to work with though.
8d04b0be8ad3a39ef4e96e4345b53e6c.jpg
d0f8c91c7fb203efc3e41b45c7521fca.jpg
289085ab7829c2f35397be740a321959.jpg
80025c266d868684e9a40e3f2dfe9cae.jpg
9dbcebd8363137f8c3177429eefb4ec3.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I used a Speedy Stitcher awl and installed the new sweat on that old mystery brand western. Had to try twice because I stitched too close to the edge the first time and didn't notice until I finished.

Two questions:

1) What time of replacement ribbon do you recommend and where shall I find it?

2) Do folks have a good size for an awl needle they like? I'm glad this first try was on a thrifted hat because the Speedy awl needle was too fat and I'm not comfortable with the big holes it punched in the felt. Made for leather I'd imagine. The waxed thread was pretty easy to work with though.

Search "Vintage Grosgrain Ribbon" or "Antique Grosgrain Ribbon" on Etsy or eBay.

RJR

Two questions:

1) What time of replacement ribbon do you recommend and where shall I find it?

Needles:Google stitch awl needles,you'll find a selection.

boze

One of the Regulars
Search "Vintage Grosgrain Ribbon" or "Antique Grosgrain Ribbon" on Etsy or eBay.
Needles:Google stitch awl needles,you'll find a selection.
Sorry yeah, I know how to search in both cases. I wasn't asking how to shop but rather what to get. Like is there a #5 needle that's a good size for sewing a sweat or is there a kind of grosgrain ribbon to try for a beat-up old silverbelly hat?

Also, we should start a vintage ribbon support group: if end up having to buy a dozen yards of ribbon just to get a certain width and color I'd like to find a second home for most of it, ya know?

Sorry yeah, I know how to search in both cases. I wasn't asking how to shop but rather what to get. Like is there a #5 needle that's a good size for sewing a sweat or is there a kind of grosgrain ribbon to try for a beat-up old silverbelly hat?

Also, we should start a vintage ribbon support group: if end up having to buy a dozen yards of ribbon just to get a certain width and color I'd like to find a second home for most of it, ya know?

Boze, when doing the stitch awl thing, I use a sewing machine needle and upholstery thread. I'll have to dig out my box to figure out what size I use. Typically as small as will allow the passage of the thread. I find it maddening the few times I've searched for vintage ribbon, and with limited skills, I've bought pre cut ribbons and ready made bows from @bond and attached them myself. Looks as if you may have bought the sweat from him. That thing oughta stay attached for eternity.

Rockwater

A-List Customer

Grosgrain ribbon by the yard, large selection.
https://www.britexfabrics.com/

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
My brain is wired the same way, and since I really only wear ties to more formal affairs such as weddings and funerals I think the symmetry of the Windsor knot looks best. But that knot takes up a bit of tie, and with my height and body type it usually results in the tie looking too short, so I default to a half-Windsor; not quite as symmetrical, but more so than the relatively simple four-in-hand.
Also try the Pratt/Shelby knot for your tie. Surprisingly symmetrical and uses less length/fabric to tie than the full windsor.

https://www.ties.com/how-to-tie-a-tie/pratt

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m thinking my next custom may be a natural. At least I’m in need of a natural. Who do you suggest?

Just a thought on something that concerns me about some custom hatters. I’ve seen hats for sell by private individuals stating this fedora was made by “XXX”. But the liner is plain and there is no lettering on the sweatband. I know liners and sweatbands can be replaced. But when a hat is made with no markings at all there is no real way to prove the origins of the hat. Unless maybe you know the original buyer.

Am I missing something?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I’m thinking my next custom may be a natural. At least I’m in need of a natural. Who do you suggest?

Just a thought on something that concerns me about some custom hatters. I’ve seen hats for sell by private individuals stating this fedora was made by “XXX”. But the liner is plain and there is no lettering on the sweatband. I know liners and sweatbands can be replaced. But when a hat is made with no markings at all there is no real way to prove the origins of the hat. Unless maybe you know the original buyer.

Am I missing something?
No way to know unless, like you say, you know the seller and trust his/her word. Every custom I have has a liner, at least, and a sweat with the maker's mark on it. Unless it is very old and needed repair, and the repair was done buy yet another hatter, then the liner and/or sweat should show some indication of the original hatter. My hats refurbed by Mile Miller has a marking under the liner showing his unique sizing mark.

Regarding the custom natural, gosh, I've seen some great examples by no less than 5 hatters here in the Pacific NW.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Am I missing something?

I would recommend Art Fawcett at VS hats. Here are the pictures of what he called the "Wall Street" in natural
27b8c9db18b219b6123374e943a3cd0f.jpg

His name in the liner
109a328d49365719f0e8fa9ffbb621f3.jpg

And finally he put my initials in the sweatband.
c6ad99828df0187ff3ea9fde7c901b7a.jpg

I know over the years I have longed for fancy name brands with X's stamped on the sweatband with cool classic model names. But having a custom made hat you had full input into every detail trumps that in the end.
Let us know who you end up going with
Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy