Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
...The migrating pinch, I know it well. ;)
So does my wife.

sb1dTwe.gif

I'm here all week folks. Tip your Bartenders.

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
Considering Akubras (again), but I don't need another black hat. I still can't figure these colors out. Out of Charcoal vs Carbon Gray....which color is darker?

I’m trying to date a Cavanagh. When did they drop “John” from the liner? Any idea?

Thanks in advance

UDPATE:
Please disregard my request. The Hatted Professor came to the rescue. It’s a shame Brad doesn’t frequent the Lounge any more.
When I read your post I immediately went to "I tried to date an O'Malley once but she turned me down!"
Sorry couldn't help myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering Akubras (again), but I don't need another black hat. I still can't figure these colors out. Out of Charcoal vs Carbon Gray....which color is darker?
Is "Charcoal" an official color designation from Akubra? The reason I ask is because I've seen the same hat in the same color--the Banjo Paterson, for example--offered on different websites, and the Australian websites list the color as "Graphite Grey" while a couple of U.S. websites list it as "Charcoal". :confused:

Ken David

One of the Regulars
I have several hats that are becoming unwearable due to the brims curling upward (prefer a flatter brim). I am guessing I need to find a brim flange but was wondering if anybody can give me a suggestion on what I should look for? Looking for one that would be versatile from brims around 2 5/8" to 2 7/8" or so. Thanks.

I have several hats that are becoming unwearable due to the brims curling upward (prefer a flatter brim). I am guessing I need to find a brim flange but was wondering if anybody can give me a suggestion on what I should look for? Looking for one that would be versatile from brims around 2 5/8" to 2 7/8" or so. Thanks.

They normally come in specific brim widths, so theoretically, a 2 5/8" brim needs a 2 5/8" flange. The flanges differ in "cupping" as well. You'll just need to find the right one(s)

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
They normally come in specific brim widths, so theoretically, a 2 5/8" brim needs a 2 5/8" flange. The flanges differ in "cupping" as well. You'll just need to find the right one(s)

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Thanks....I was hoping to just find one. Maybe I'll just look for one for the larger brim size and use it on the shorter ones and realize the cupping may differ.

RJR

Depending on your definition of "flatter",simply ironing the brim may work.Remember to use a press cloth or toweling between the iron and the felt.

Last edited:

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
Okay, I have a question. My second day owning a brand new Akubra Snowy River in Sand. I was steaming deeper pinches over a kettle. After I pulled it away I realized that a small portion of the felt between the pinches must have rubbed up against the rubber edge of the spout and left what I thought was only a spot of water. After it dried I noticed that the dark stain was still there. I have no idea what it could be. It became much lighter after a hard brushing and a sponge job. Any ideas to completely erase it? I will share pictures tomorrow as I am currently at work without said brim.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I have used naptha and a Mr. Clean sponge-like thing to completely remove axle grease from my Tawny Fawn Fed IV.
Now that is impressive!
That would have been a great How-to for reference. Axle grease may make one wonder...what the heck??
But how many times has anyone bumped their lid “just checking the oil”?? Arggh!!
B

Last edited:
I’m trying to date a Cavanagh. When did they drop “John” from the liner? Any idea?

Thanks in advance

UDPATE:
Please disregard my request. The Hatted Professor came to the rescue. It’s a shame Brad doesn’t frequent the Lounge any more.

So............so...............What Was the Answer?!?!?!?!?!?!?o_O I am waiting....;););););)
M:)

So............so...............What Was the Answer?!?!?!?!?!?!?o_O I am waiting....;););););)
M:)

Cavanagh dropped “John” from their liners in 1950. “John Cavanagh Hats” became “Cavanagh Hats.” I suppose there were some in 1950 that still used John, but it’s a pretty safe bet that they’re from the 1940s or earlier.

http://www.thehattedprofessor.com/datecavanagh.html

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Now that is impressive!
That would have been a great How-to for reference. Axle grease may make one wonder...what the heck??
But how many times has anyone bumped their lid “just checking the oil”?? Arggh!!
B

I was disassembling an outdoor wheelchair lift as the person who had been using it is no longer with us.

The drive assembly for this monstrosity is a steel rod 'screw,' taller and heavier than I am.

As I was removing it from the main housing it fell on me, and the only thing that kept it from cracking my head open was the Tawny Fawn Fed IV I had perched atop it.

As it is a mechanical drive assembly it was greased, as most mechanical drive assemblies are.

Initially, I was upset, but I don't love the color of the hat, and don't wear it much. But then I had read here about naptha (dry-cleaning fluid) and decided to give it a try. The Mr. Clean sponge just looked like the right tool for the job. I have used them previously, and they don't come apart the way a regular sponge does. I was actually stunned by the great results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ