Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I have a DM Adventurer and the crown is only 4-3/8" tall to the top of the front crease (teardrop), which is all the height I could wring out of this particular hat without a lot of taper at the top. The felt is mid-weight, I would call it, and fairly stiff, but I actually prefer stiffer felt with a broad brim so it will hold its shape.

My opinion is that the DM Adventurer does not have the proportions to look close to the Raiders hat, at least in my hat size (7-3/4 or 62cm).

For what it's worth, I have a RM Williams model Akubra (from "Hats by the Hundred",
https://www.hatsbythe100.com.au/rm-williams-by-akubra-mid-brown.html )
that has a 4-3/4" height to the tip of the teardrop crease. The website says this one has a 11cm (2.33") crown height, but mine is taller in the teardrop crease. About a 2-7/8" brim on this one, if I remember correctly.

Good luck!
Regan

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you want the tall and blocky look of an Indiana Jones style hat, then take a look at the Penman line. He has full customs, and his production/factory hat called the Everyman. I have the Everyman and it's a great hat.

http://www.penmanhats.com/everyman-hats.html

As creased by John when I picked up the hat:

i-Drmnffc-M.jpg

After a couple years I changed the crease to a diamond and lowered the crown a bit:

i-4FCfMkt-M.jpg
i-DKZxZwk-M.jpg

Last edited:

MikeP

New in Town
Question. I wear a Stetson 3X OR from the 50’s that was given to me by my uncle. I’m curious why some OR’s have a wind string and some don’t. Any information is appreciated.

RJR

Question. I wear a Stetson 3X OR from the 50’s that was given to me by my uncle. I’m curious why some OR’s have a wind string and some don’t. Any information is appreciated.
I suspect that the stampede string was added as requested by the purchaser.Most stores carrying a line of western hats have an assortment.

In addition to the previous speculation, it's also possible the wind trolley became worn or frayed and was removed or fell off.

I have three Akubra Campdrafts which are similar to the OR, all purchased brand new. They all came with a wind trolley. Never having owned a hat with one before I tested the first one I received just to see how reliable it would be if I ever chose to use it, and it popped right off of the hat on the second tug (which wasn't particularly forceful). Good thing I hadn't relied on it to save my hat on a windy day. On another the cord got frayed where it wrapped around the button and eventually snapped, so I removed what was left. And these were on hats that were only days or a few years old; on a 60-year-old hat, who can say?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner