Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wilki

New in Town
IMG_0948.JPG

@Wilki, kin of hard to tell with those photos. Maybe a little close to the subject or the zoom was dialed up. They're pretty blurry. A nutria from Stetson will have some age on it but there are some variances. Appears to have a liner so, a shot of that might help. Also, if you can manipulate the sweat w/o causing damage, reorder tags, if still there will be just under the liner behind the sweat. You can also load up to ten pics per post. Good looking hat.

Last edited:

Wilki

New in Town
I found no size but u
up inside there is a tag that says 41240 sq cow rs, the lining is not original I had the hat reconditioned 40 years ago, the size is 6 5/8 x 7 3/4

Wilki

New in Town
there are no other tags behind the sweat band what you see is it, I tried taking the best photos of the sweat band that I could, I could remove the lining to see any other tag up inside the hat but like I said the lining is not the original, I had the hat reconditioned buy a hat co. back in 1979, it never had a lining before that that I can remember the hat also always had just a round top before I had them shape it, I think the tag inside that says (sq cow rs) is from the hat co. reshaping, I just dont remember, the sweat band is still soft and in good condition the stamp is hard to read on the back of the sweat band. From the measurements I think it is size 7 1/4, do you think I should remove the lining? I just dont want to do the wrong thing, You guys are the experts. thanks for you advice
IMG_0953.JPG
IMG_0952.JPG

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
There's no harm in leaving the liner in & if you're planning on selling, it may be a +
As for size, if you don't have a soft measuring tape, you can use a strip of paper & starting from the rear join, circle the strip around the bottom edge of the sweatband back to the rear join, then either cut or mark where the two paper edges meet & then lay flat & measure it. there are plenty of hat size charts online to convert the measurment into an accurate hat size.
Again if you are planning on selling, vintage Stetson Nutrias are much sought after & if it is a 7 1/4 as you estimate, then there will be a lot of interest. The only hick is the color, black isn't the most popular but serious hat collectors will still be interested. Apart from the accurate size, potential buyers will also need to know brim width & crown height too so don't forget to include them in any description. Also you will need better photos, much better photos. ;)

Last edited:
There's no harm in leaving the lining in & if you're planning on selling, it may be a +
As for size, if you don't have a soft measuring tape, you can use a strip of paper & starting from the rear join, circle the strip around the bottom edge of the sweatband back to the rear join, then either cut or mark where the two paper edges meet & then lay flat & measure it. there are plenty of hat size charts online to convert the measurment into an accurate hat size.
Again if you are planning on selling, vintage Stetson Nutrias are much sought after & if it is a 7 1/4 as you estimate, then there will be a lot of interest. The only hick is the color, black isn't the most popular but serious hat collectors will still be interested. Apart from the accurate size, potential buyers will also need to know brim width & crown height too so don't forget to include them in any description. Also you will need better photos, much better photos. ;)
Agreed in MORE and BETTER pictures........One more thing that MAY very well hurt value, is the hat has had the brim re-flanged into a modern style and if any pencil roll or kettle upturn that was present (which it likely had) is gone now.....same with the crown re-blocking, which is an easier fix for the crown, but really hard to restore the brim.
M

I really got a chuckle out of this one. When I was in college I worked for the football team at Ohio State. I had the pleasure of walking back to my dorm after a game with one of these giant bags of popcorn. Needless to say that we had munchies for quite a while!
I was in Seattle a few years back wandering through the Pike St Market. The market was full of large young men in red track suits with silver trim. These were big dudes with necks that sort of just flowed into their shoulders. They were not taller than me but oh so much bigger. It made sense when I read the score of the Huskies / Buckeyes game in the paper the next morning.

Kane

One of the Regulars
Here’s a question for the Stetson experts:
Which hat would have a better felt:
A current production Royal Deluxe in the Premier open crown variety, or an 80’s era 4X Beaver?
I know that the simple answer would be the 4x Beaver, but I have read that the 4x may not actually have beaver in it, and also that some years were better than others, and I don’t how the 80’s was compared to today.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko